Well Done MNR

jimmer

This is an outrage! I wonder how many people were ruthlessly stripped of their dignity, civil rights and freedoms?? These power hungry MNR guys must be stopped!!

"All told, 13 people were charged by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry during a one-week enforcement blitz back in May."

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

X2!!!

There is a bit of a misconception that they can just take your boat gun or car and never return it if you get caught in a minor violation but it's not really that way. In a very few serious cases they can seize vehicles, boats etc. Even if this does happen, the items are usually returned when the perp goes to court unless the court orders that they be forfeited to the crown which very rarely happens except in very serious cases. The key is the difference between seize (temporary) and forfeit (bye-bye for good). Anyway, maybe it would be a bit better penalty in many cases.

Edited by G.mech

How about both?

Seriously though, I thought it was common to confiscate vehicles?

Pretty sure before they can confiscate a vehicle the offenders have to transport their illegal catch in the vehicle to make it fair game, sitting on the shore with a white bucket of OOS fish and the vehicle parked in the lot , they can't.

Pretty sure before they can confiscate a vehicle the offenders have to transport their illegal catch in the vehicle to make it fair game, sitting on the shore with a white bucket of OOS fish and the vehicle parked in the lot , they can't.

I think that you are correct. I has to be used in the commission of an offense.

I'm handing a fishing rod hopefully to my grandson this Saturday at a pond and if he gets a bluegill it will go back, and he will learn a lesson.

I release blue gills too. Did this morning for a matter a fact. Well it,s cousin the sun fish any ways. Hit a top water of all things.

DSCF3725.JPG

DSCF3726.JPG

Now,

If he caught a nice 4 pound steel head, what would you tell him? :Gonefishing::tease:

I started a thread for the exact same event. These fines are more than many I read about on MNR Round Up site. Bigger fines are hunting related. And a majority of those guys charged are guides and outfitters swapping tags. Never have read about forfeit of vehicles and weapons.

It's better than a slap on the wrist. To think fines are a deterrent is being naïve. If there is money to be made they will continue doing it. Cost of doing business. I watch Northwoods Law, a reality show about the guys and gals of Fish and Game Wardens in Maine. They are just as lenient as our MNR is, even more if that's possible. More warnings than fines.

i gotta make a point...

what would be the charge if i got caught speeding, and subsequently also didnt have a drivers license...me thinks I would be in more trouble that the people that got fishing with no license in a sanctuary...

No license = no insurance

Isn't that an auto $5000 on its own?

i gotta make a point...

what would be the charge if i got caught speeding, and subsequently also didnt have a drivers license...me thinks I would be in more trouble that the people that got fishing with no license in a sanctuary...

hence the reason I said what I said. How does one get the same rate with more than one fine as another with one fine?

I think there's a lot of room to expand fines before introducing jail sentences. However, having a dividing line between minor and major offenses with jail time for the latter makes sense. Examples: minor - took the skin off a limit of fish. major - illegal/unattended gill nets. One of these is a fine, the other should see jail time. Yes? No?

I think there's a lot of room to expand fines before introducing jail sentences. However, having a dividing line between minor and major offenses with jail time for the latter makes sense. Examples: minor - took the skin off a limit of fish. major - illegal/unattended gill nets. One of these is a fine, the other should see jail time. Yes? No?

I'd agree

That makes sense to me. I wasn't suggesting that minor offenses face jail time, but illegal netting, importing Asian carp, selling game fish, continued illegal action (limits or out of season fishing) could be threatened with jail time.

I know I am going to catch Hell for saying this from some Libs. but it is right there in black and white. Those that are regularly charged for fishing offences are of the same cultures. And the second most individuals charged are from another culture. It is a cultural thing and that is difficult to change peoples mind sets. It is difficult to change cultural paradigms. Hopefully 1st or second generation Canadians with Canadian educations will not carry on these traditional mind sets and hopefully things will change in the near future. I think it will.

I know this first hand. I fished years ago with a guy from the plant and he started putting 8" Bass in a bucket. I said what the F are you doing? No way no how you could educate him. Good guy but he went through the depression and WW2, no way no how he was going to change in this lifetime. His boat, his charges, he was never caught and he was a life long poacher, and he wasn't the only one I knew back then. I didn't fish with them again but continued to be their friend, these were really good guys except the fishing thing.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Crap like that has changed in the hunting community to a large degree, fifty years ago it was common for a few ethnic groups to shoot pretty much anything that moved for "the sauce". Probably that change has more to do with firearms regulation , you can't just walk into a CTC and walk out with a shotgun like you can a fishing rod anymore.

If they're in season, then that is not illegal.

20 of them? Then there was always the big pike that had 10 walleye fillets that he froze in them. All 6 of his pike. That would be 30 Piks from the 4 limit Bay of Quinte. So I was told by him at work.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Crap like that has changed in the hunting community to a large degree, fifty years ago it was common for a few ethnic groups to shoot pretty much anything that moved for "the sauce". Probably that change has more to do with firearms regulation , you can't just walk into a CTC and walk out with a shotgun like you can a fishing rod anymore.

You are absolutely right. True story, the first time I went to Italy I went for a walk early one morning and asked my Uncle, "where are all the birds Zio?" he said " we ate them all during the war they aren't stupid enough to come here." We have no idea what it means to really starve here. If we are hungry we say we are starving. Couldn't be further from the truth.

I first hand witness rednecks poach like crazy too...just because they have a fishing license doesnt make it ok when they take their limit home, eat it and then head out fishing all over again with 8 guys in the boat taking 32 eyes a day off georgian bay.

you all know the type, rednecks on a house boat drunk as skunks there for the morning and evening bite all week long, never a fish going back into the lake.

Edited by AKRISONER