The trip of a lifetime and now we are back

Big Cliff

I'm with Terry on this! An honest angler's experience is greatly appreciated.

Not sure how this one even got sold to you Cliff despite the luxurious brochure. To get to Armstrong station you have to pass by a million quality walleye and pike lakes... and time and driving equals money and energy. The price tag for your trip doesn't include that... but still, at $1800+PP here's just one example of a quality walleye fishery at almost half the price and 2/3's the drive... http://www.onamanlake.com/index.html Had fished this lake for an afternoon and evening while other boats were out there, but it never felt crammed, always plenty space to get lost on your own and walleye (as Tyler Dunn from here has also experienced) was incredible. Bigger average sized fish than usual too. Numerous other great walleye lakes would have been available out of Cochrane, Hearst and Nakina for less money as well.

Have had some bad experiences on trips as well. Not every trip can be the best ever, most amazing, super epic, perfect experience. In fact, almost always is there something that could have been improved upon. Judging from your write up though, their cons weighed equal or greater than the pros, and at that price and distance, you could have done much better in finding at the very least, a more balanced trip or, one with fishing just as great but accommodations much nicer.

It seems like you feel you got screwed... and that sucks because fly-in fishing trips are generally great experiences.

Thanks, I value your (and all the other input). Mattice was one of five recommended to me by one of our own but in his defense he did tell me that he had never personally been to Vick Lake so I sure can't hold him responsible.

I started with a list of 5 places that were recommended by a trusted source, narrowed it down to species and target, then by availability and amenities, price was the last thing on the list and I was willing to pay what it cost.

There were several reasons we ended up choosing Vick Lake: It was a catch and consume lake, many others were posted as C&R and we both love fresh fish. Vick lake offered 5 day trips, would take a group of two, being a smaller lake it was less susceptible to problems with high winds and was available on the dates that worked for us.

The fact that the brochure made it sound like a newly established camp with a new cabin and new equipment made me think this would make the trip even more special. It was remote, our closest neighbor was about 7 miles away. It had hydro and hot and cold running water, neither of which are necessities but but sure make things more comfortable. I guess I really wanted to impress my son, not that I need to, we have a wonderful relationship but like most dads I want the best I can give him and this was our first ever fly-in and the only chance we have had in many years to spend more than a day or two together just the two of us.

I'm not interested in a refund, compensation, or a free trip, if I was to accept any of those I would feel obligated to edit this post. I love helping others and if sharing my experience will help keep others from getting misled then it's worth the cost. No amount of money is going to change the facts anyway.

As for the distance and traveling time, I'm a truck driver so 12 or so hours behind the wheel is a normal day for me. You are right about the cost though, by the time you factor in food, supplies, fuel..... it actually came to just under $5000.00 (and neither of us drink LOL).

Perhaps I could have done more planning, checked with people that had been there (if I could have found any). Everything just seemed to fall into place, all the reviews were great even on Google but none of them mentioned Vick Lake. It was a lesson learned and I won't make that mistake again. ;)

people will go there for the awesome fishing, not sure why they over-hype the cabin. They should be honest about their ascomodations so people know exactly what they are getting. For years I rented a cottage that was pretty dumpy...but I KNEW it was pretty dumpy. It was my decision to stay there knowing exactly what I was getting. And am I gonna complain about a leaky shower and crappy bbq? No..because for the price I paid I was happy to just have a roof over my head. If its advertised as new, and you pay like its new, that's not acceptable. Having said that, I would do the same as you...not gonna argue for refund or discount, just get out and tell the truth. Great fishing but accomodations and boats not as advertised

RIzzo you are right. I used to go with my young family every year to Sauble Beach. One year my wife's sister decided to book online and bring our parents. Well this place was a dump! NOT As advertisied. My mom and dad were not comfortable with it and we ended up leaving early.

THe next year I went up in March to do walkabout :) found a motel unit (Golden Eagle) and stayed. Perfect for the family. We took the whole unit (4) for a week that summer and went back often with extended family!

I'm in advertising and we can make things look better than they are BUT to say NEW is out of the question!

Cliff, thanks for your honest and candid report. I have never done a fly in trip or anything remotely close to it. When I do, it will probably be a one of and I will want it to be perfect.

I will try to learn from this trip and hope to be able to make a good choice when the time comes. Like you said, the fishing was epic and time spent with your son is irreplaceable. the rest is just details in the past.

Thanks Cliff!

What a write up, fishing and family, does not get much better than that , and the setting you describe is to die for. LOL...i would not expect anything less than a brutally honest review from you, and think it is great that you have done just that. I have dealt with quite a few camp owners in my short time here, and while there are some truly fantastic people and camps there are some where I wonder how they ever got their 'good' reputation and have managed to keep it.

The problem with reviews on Camp websites is that they are in control of the content, I use the site Tripadvisor to review places I've been.

Good thing the fishing was great lol.

I'd be furious but alas, you took the right route IMO

I've actually had the opposite happen. Found a lodge near ear falls(not a fly in)

The owner said it was decent cabins but the fishing was great. Price was waaaày low so I though for sure it was gonna be a crappy cabin

Turns out it had satellite t.v, a huge kitchen, slept 12 easily, had an awesome deck and was up on a hill over viewing the lake. Place was heaven on Earth

In winter I actually ended up living there for 5 months lol. $525 a month, he plowed the road daily. Made supper almost every night

Sleepy dog cabins, if your ever in the area, it's def. Worth a look at. The owner is awesome, cabins top notch (a few have hot tubs), and wine lake is not spectacular, but it's good.

We all have different expectations of comfort. My buddy comfort is staying dry and that's it, for me now a 100 buck a night budget motel is ruffing it. Regardless the brochure and Mattice's description is pure scam. New is new, not once new, rustic furniture isn't plastic tubs from Walmart, unless painted to look like wood. Below is there web sites description of Vick Lake, just like Big Cliff described. Scammers.

http://www.walleye.ca/outpost_camps/vick_lake/

Edited by Old Ironmaker

weird...when we had a cottage we rented I always just put the year behind things that mattered IE 9.9 mercury outboard (2010), deck overlooking water (2012), canoe (old but it floats) etc That way you didn't have to decide how new something had to be to be considered new.

Thanks for the report. Did you target pike for any period of time? Man, after seeing the one at the end of my stringer I'd be hammering the water with everything i had!

Glad to hear the fishing was good. Good luck in your future trip plans. Days with ours sons are never bad.

Looks like some good quality time with your son Cliff, sorry to hear about the disappointing surprises.

I'm guessing Don put the camp description up on his website when he first got the camp then never updated it. Now the boats/ motors aren't new anymore and the pine furniture is long gone. I would send him a polite e mail. I'm sure he would appreciate the feed back. He really should revise the camp description.

I've done a few fly ins, twice with MLO, different camps though, and everything was first class. RickOnt was impressed with his trip last year too.

Nothing wrong with an honest report. Nice to see some pictures too.

Cliff,

If your looking for fishing in similar area/ driving distance check out Kashabowie outfitters (atikokan). Last time i was in to a couple camps (mind you 5 years ago) some had hot tubs in a screened in porch. Camps were clean. Fished the one lake off the plane and had 2 limits in 15 minutes. There camps are west and north of thunder bay

White River Air has nice camps well maintained. Some lakes about ten minute flight from town gets overlooked cause guests think they are "too close". They can be busy they fly for 6 lodges up there as well as their own camps.

If you want to drive to Red Lake, Howey Bay Resort-Dave Mcleod has some of the best maintained in my opinion. Pretty good moose and bear hunting too and guides. Hard to beat the fishing in Red Lake and probably the most remote part of the province.

I should add that some outfits are still operating like many decades ago when the new highway to canada opened and the american lakes were over fished so americans are coming as long as theres some sort of structure and a boat that you can bail out and fish at the same time. No need to repair or update cause it didn't matter.

Then 2008 hit and no more americans for awhile and no more extra money.

Now you've got the outfits that always operated well and it didn't phase them and some that still haven't done any repairs and updates who haven't recovered.

Now on a second note just think a minute about how difficult it is to get simple building supplies into a plane (size and weight restrictions), and the short season that you can operate a floatplane. You don't think twice about going to home depot and loading your truck for the weekend to build a deck at home, if you run out of screws just drive back quick. Or how many times have you forgot a plumbing fitting. Or have to revisit your plan of attack to repair something when its in front of you. Most operators are quit aways from a decent hardware store. Avgas is $1.70/litre and a Cessna 185 burns 60L an hour, a Beaver burns 90L/hour or 1.5L/minute. A multi tool, hammer, nails, and a chainsaw is your best friend and most used tools.

Cliff,

If your looking for fishing in similar area/ driving distance check out Kashabowie outfitters (atikokan). Last time i was in to a couple camps (mind you 5 years ago) some had hot tubs in a screened in porch. Camps were clean. Fished the one lake off the plane and had 2 limits in 15 minutes. There camps are west and north of thunder bay

White River Air has nice camps well maintained. Some lakes about ten minute flight from town gets overlooked cause guests think they are "too close". They can be busy they fly for 6 lodges up there as well as their own camps.

If you want to drive to Red Lake, Howey Bay Resort-Dave Mcleod has some of the best maintained in my opinion. Pretty good moose and bear hunting too and guides. Hard to beat the fishing in Red Lake and probably the most remote part of the province.

Kashabowi is wicked good!

Red lake is gnarly. You'll never see as many moose anywhere as red lake. During fall you can't barely hit the speed limit on the highway without an encounter. Also, the bear population is very dense, be prepared if anyone chooses to visit the area

Stay away from the bars lol

Edited by manitoubass2