New boat

FishOn

I was hoping to get some help in purchasing a new boat.

I can't decide between a 2014 Angler 164 G3 F series boat with 70 Yamaha and a 2016 Princecraft Nanook with 90hp Mercury.

Both a brand new boats with walk through. Difference in price is the Princecraft is $4,000 more.

No other goodies with either of the boats.

Go with the G3, Princecraft suck.

lol maybe you could enlighten us a little beyond princecraft suck....maybe your first hand experiences so that someone with less than your vast boating knowledge can make an educated decision as to what suits them best....just sayin'

Sorry I have not owned either but if you decide on a Ranger I can tell you a lot of good things about them. A test drive in both will go far and keep in mind the gear you will stow and how often you need to dig it out.

Art

Alumacraft would be my choice out of the 2

Alumacraft was not a choice....its G3 or Princecraft lol.

$4000 is no small sum, not really comparing similar boats if thats the price difference. I believe that Nanook is bigger in all aspects length and width, and a larger motor. But seeing stuff first hand can really help you decide. I looked at a lot of "nice boats" online and when I saw them in person they were in rough shape, or not taken care of, or really didnt fit my needs. You can figure out quickly by looking at them first hand what you like more.

Ive owned one Princecraft in my life and that's one to many. My hull cracked in two places while under warranty and they would not honour their warranty. They said the reason being that it would need a new hull and that was to expensive and I should let my insurance handle it. My insurance company wrote the boat off. So ya Princecraft sucks and always will.

Ive owned one Princecraft in my life and that's one to many. My hull cracked in two places while under warranty and they would not honour their warranty. They said the reason being that it would need a new hull and that was to expensive and I should let my insurance handle it. My insurance company wrote the boat off. So ya Princecraft sucks and always will.

I would hope in that case the minimum they'd do is cover your deductible... That's brutal.

You can't buy a boat by reading about it...and you shouldn't buy a boat based on what anyone here says. Not because they're necessarily wrong, but because their tastes are different and they're BIAS. Just like me...I'm with Art, buy a Ranger and be done with it! LOL

You have to go crawl around each boat for an hour; think about how you fish, what tackle you carry, kids, etc. Oh, and think about what you'll want to add to the boat afterwards...downriggers? electronics? tow hook for tubing? whatever...just make sure it's doable. Then go for a ride! make sure you have weight in the boat that will emulate what you'll be taking under normal circumstances. Jump on the electric motor and see how it feels...responsive? enough punch into the wind?

Lastly, check out the trailer!! Be part of the launch and load sequence so you know how easy/difficult it is. While the boats in the water, check out the trailer. I can tell you that my Ranger Trail is one of the best things about my boat package. I can do solo launches or loads in under 2 minutes flat.

You can't beat seat time to determine which boat you like better. Question, are these two choices based on what local dealers offer or personal choices?

Good luck.

Thanks to everyone fore responding.

Fit and finish on the Princecraft was way better than the G3. On the G3 the carpeting around the console was missing some staples and it looked like it was rushed. I also, looked at the 2016 Lowe 165 WT today what a nice boat.

They are priced to sell but, most come rigged with a 60hp... its a bit underpowered for that boat I think.

They are rated for up to 90hp. But, 90hp was extra $4,000.

Its an amazing experiance to be looking and touching these boats. To make the right decision, would be taking each one on the water.

That's, how its done in my opinion.

As said it's what you want out of a boat. I know a guy that had a new Lund and he had nothing but problems with it and finally sold it after 2 seasons. One of my fishing pals has had his Princecraft for 19 years and fishes 12 months of the year. I wouldn't want to guess how many hours are on it. He beats the bejeezus out of it, uses it as an ice breaker some winter days and it has lasted long enough that he just put a new Yamaha 4 stroke on her. If they are used it's all about condition.

Take both boats out and then decide. Since many Mercs have Yamaha blocks and lower units built specifically for Merc I would personally lean towards the higher horse power. Not sure if Yamaha still co builds newer Mercs. It's Chev vs. Ford vs. Chrysler and, and..... Your choice and yours alone.