Did I mess up with line selection?

redpearl99

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've posted.

So i got a new dedicated pike set up to target large 35inch+ fish.

Picked up an Abu Garcia Revo SX 7.1 and a 7ft medium heavy rod.

For main line I got 65lb powerpro and for leader I got 60lb seaguar

Question is if I messed up and went overkill on the 65lb braid mainline. I've never had a dedicated pike set up before so I thought I would go heavier than my bass stuff i was using. I got about 75 yards of line on the Revo which should be fine since im just casting and not trolling.

If I should go lighter with the main line then I basically threw $30 down the drain as I cant use 65lb for bass and it's too like for the muskie setup I'm building.

HEAVY line for that set up but if you can cast with it the OK......

The thing to be careful with is Snags, especially if you are trolling........don't break your rod with that HEAVY lb line......any snags you should point the rod towards the snag so not to bend the rod if you are trying to break off a snag........this way you will not break your rod.

I wouldn't be using the pike rod for any trolling... only casting from shore and boat.

If the 65lb is too heavy for the pike rod then do you think i can put it on a dedicated muskie rod? if not then 65lb doesnt seem to be usefull for any thing... to heavy for pike and too like for muskie.

Thanks for the advice guys!

I wouldn't be using the pike rod for any trolling... only casting from shore and boat.

If the 65lb is too heavy for the pike rod then do you think i can put it on a dedicated muskie rod? if not then 65lb doesnt seem to be usefull for any thing... to heavy for pike and too like for muskie.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Save it for bluegill and crappie fishing........LOL

You will be fine, no need to toss it. If you want strip it then use it for back up on other reels. Easy to remove and reuse using a drill and drill bit.

I never run anything stronger than 30# anything. 30# Big Game mono on my Dipsy and downrigger rods with another 20 feet of 15 pound flouro. Same with braid for Bass set ups and another 8 to 10 feet of flouro leader. I never expect to reel in any of the fish I go for that come close to 30#'s. If you are fighting a fish right I think the rod and reel have more to do with not breaking line that the line test anyway. I've brought in several fish in the 20's from Carp to Bat Rays on 8# mono before the super lines came out. I've never found the challenge fishing for 3 to 5 pound Largemouth with 25# or more test, less frustrating when hung up in slop with a heavy line yes, of course.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Lol I have to agree OI.

Im normally fishing 8lb powerpro and I can land sturgeon on that. Ill fish 15lb too but the highest I go is 20lb braid. The weeds here just aren't thick enough to warrant going higher.

My pike rods currently have 20lb suffix 832. And I don't run a leader, never seem to need it so I don't bother

i think the bass guys like the 65# for flipping into very heavy cover.

Both my flipping/pitching reels have 60lb. There is no floro or mono lead. (Flipping/pitching, is a quick reaction bite). The reason is when I set the hook, I dont want it digging/burning, into the spool. I wont say you are good for your purpose,as I do not cast that heavy of a line. Most I go for casting is 20-30 lb. I would , if you are worried, spool it on a musky reel. JMO.

Well, as usual, I will be the fly in the ointment. I currently have 60lb braid on my pickereye jiggin rod! Long story short, I was in a bind and was offered the line as I didn't have anything with me at the time. It's been on my reel for two years!!!!

So far, I can't say that it has cost me any fish as I seem to be able to catch them as much as anyone else in the boat! Works great at straightening out the hook when it gets jammed in a rock, I don't think I have lost a jig in two years! LOL

Disadvantage for sure is fishing deep water and getting too much line drag.

As long as it casts well enough, I think you'll be fine and maybe even happy knowing that you have the added security of the heavy line, should you hook into a brute.

HH

Well, as usual, I will be the fly in the ointment. I currently have 60lb braid on my pickereye jiggin rod! Long story short, I was in a bind and was offered the line as I didn't have anything with me at the time. It's been on my reel for two years!!!!

So far, I can't say that it has cost me any fish as I seem to be able to catch them as much as anyone else in the boat! Works great at straightening out the hook when it gets jammed in a rock, I don't think I have lost a jig in two years! LOL

Disadvantage for sure is fishing deep water and getting too much line drag.

As long as it casts well enough, I think you'll be fine and maybe even happy knowing that you have the added security of the heavy line, should you hook into a brute.

HH

Are you my dad? Lol

He uses 50-65lb braid to jig, swears by it. Boy was he mad when we hit up the upper Manitou for Lakers and he couldn't even get to bottom ???

As a part time Muskie guy, I use 80 lb powerpro.

When casting a heavy bait and you get a birds nest, you'll need the heavy line.

The sound of "ping" and seeing an expensive lure fly off and sink to the bottom is a piss off.

Essox is Essox. Just different markings.

My son and I made a fly in trip to Reindeer Lake for big Pike we took our Muskie rods with 65 Lb power pro and flurocarbon 80 lb leaders no problems but we were casting some pretty big lures . You should be fine with your set up .

Take a piece of cardboard something like a shoe box lid. Cut a couple divots on each end and roll your 65 on to cardboard. Another scissor cut for tag end and write 65 power pro . Good for another day.

Braid has no memory.

I use 20lb braid yellow and titanium leaders. for pike up to 20lbs on a 6-6 medium X fast baitcaster.

Edited by Garnet

You're over thinking it man! 65lb braid will do well, good for a heavier setup for larger lures.

50lb is all round for me if I'm fishing pike.

You can always take the line off as garnet says above and save it.