Portable generator recommendations.

limeyangler

Hi all,

Just throwing this out there. We plan on doing some camping this year on islands in our area. Because we are going for more than a day I'm thinking I will need to charge the boat batteries at some point, I have 2 group 27 12V running the trolling motor. I was thinking about getting a generator to do the job but have no clue whatsoever about them. I would like to know what other people use and why. I do know they are noisy so a quiet one if possible. Cant think of any other use we will have for it yet...lol...but getting a small generator must be lighter and less expensive in the long run than carrying spare batteries with me.

your thoughts/recommendations?

thanks in advance.

Yamaha or Honda. I run a 1000W Yamaha and that's exactly what I use it for (Charging the trolling motor batteries).. It's quiet, runs for pretty much ever on a tank of gas and always starts without issue.

Honda EU2000

Unit has been bullet proof. My neighbour has a boat access cottage with no hydro and runs the whole place off one. He's got everything you could imagine up there too.

Small, light, and super quiet.

Great unit.

S.

I agree with the Honda's.

Just make sure its under lock and key, when not in use; they disappear quickly.

I've had 2 stolen now, one was locked inside a cargo trailer and the other left when my truck was stolen.

Dan.

Yamaha or Honda. I run a 1000W Yamaha and that's exactly what I use it for (Charging the trolling motor batteries).. It's quiet, runs for pretty much ever on a tank of gas and always starts without issue.

I have a 2000 watt Yammie.

Great units.

Quiet, sips fuel and it's nice and light.

If I needed one just for battery charging I would get a 1000.

Mine is also used for my popup camper to charge the battery, run the microwave and more importantly my espresso machine and bean grinder!!! :whistling:

I work in a tool rental store and we cater to a lot of construction workers,,, any time we can our tools will have a Honda engine on them. They are bullet proof, you just can't kill the dang things. If something does go wrong they are very easy to work on.

For what you are wanting it for stick with something small because if it gets to big its just to heavy to keep lugging around. 1000w- max 2500w .

Now for the important part, bring your 120V AC charger along to actually charge the batteries. The actual output from the generators on 12V DC is only 8 amps at best and it's not a well regulated output. The 120V AC charger is more efficient, regulated and won't accidentally overcharge/boil the batteries.

Now for the important part, bring your 120V AC charger along to actually charge the batteries. The actual output from the generators on 12V DC is only 8 amps at best and it's not a well regulated output. The 120V AC charger is more efficient, regulated and won't accidentally overcharge/boil the batteries.

I'd assume he's got an onboard charger, that's what I plug the genny into.

I cant recommend the Honda 1000 or 2000 enough.. If your just camping and ya wann acharge batteries and some lights at night the 1000 is small, light and perfect. If you wanna run anything bigger... toaster tv fridge ice machine etc get the 2000. I used the 1000 on all our flyin trips and the 2000 at camp.. It runs EVERYTHING... wood splitter, toaster, vacuuum, water pump for tank, ice machine, TV/sat. all lights, small fridge... and Coffee machine... (not all at once obviously) I run mine pretty much 24/7 when were at camp.. I cannot say enough about them - both units.

been doing a bit of research, you guys are spot on, Honda or Yammie inverter it has to be. Hmmmmmm, Ive always been a Yamaha fan....

FYI there are a couple of things the Yammie's have that the Honda's don't.

A fuel gauge and fuel shut off valve. At least in the 2KW models nt sure aboot the 1KW.

You'll want an Inverter type generator. Take the peak amp draw of your on-board charger and multiply by 120. I have a 4 bank that draws 14amps @ 120 VAC which equates to 1680 watts.

Therefore, I use a Yamaha EF2000 and there's still a bit left for USB chargers (Cell Phone, Tablet, USB Speaker, etc) or even a laptop.