Boat out of storage this A.M.

Old Ironmaker

I'm like a kid that can't sleep on Christmas Eve. Going to fire up the Bassassin this morning. I might as well splash it for a test run. While I am in the water we may as well wash a bait or 2. If I point it Nord we can hit Hamilton or a bit Nord East hit Jordan area and troll the mud line. If I drive down the road east for a few miles here we can launch at Port Maitland. Reports are catches of Perch of the Lake Erie size in good numbers in 60 feet of water. Maybe early but if we launch at Steve Hardcastle's there is always a possibility of hammering a Dunnville Mud Cat or a few Yellow Bullheads. There were more than few boats out on Sunday below the Dam in the usual spots. A $9.99 frozen shrimp ring from Food Basics is all you need. A Dollar store lighter and you can always eat the bait with a bit of Tabasco sauce. I am wondering who has some Emerald Shiners around here? Fish Farmer you reading this? I need to call the Marina. The Bufflehead are feeding along the shore, I wouldn't be smart enough to put a few minnow traps in the water. No,,,,,,,pay for them.

Decisions, decisions. Life is good this time of year for us addicts. The Betty Ford Rehab Clinic in California nor Dr. Phil can help us.

Wormdunker called me Friday afternoon. He sounded pretty good. His yappability factor was good, talked for a good 20 minutes and he sounded strong. He said to say Hi. God bless the old fart.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Didn't put the water to her today. An old friend passed quietly last night and I just wasn't in the mood to do much but post on a few sites and watch the ducks on the lake. Zero health issues at 63. He just celebrated the birth of his first Grand Baby and was so excited to get him on the water fishing as soon as possible. Just last week someone said the kid is a better fisherman now than he will ever be and we all laughed. I am at that age I guess, every time the phone rings after the cut off time there is a probability the news isn't good. That's life I guess. Death has a tendency to put things like fishing into perspective.

Thanks Geoff, this man had an interesting and adventurous life to say the least. The kind they make movies about. He worked full time at a Hamilton mill for over 30 years and earned himself a good pension. He also was a founding member of a biker club and a 1% er, plus an avid outdoorsman, a hunter and fisherman He was the epitome of the O.G. and an enigma.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It's all about if the body is working well enough to get out. I never ever in my life thought I wouldn't be able to get out because the legs don't want you to, and refuse to co operate. Fishing was a relaxing day in years gone by. OK enough belly aching. The boat is ready to hit the water. The only thing not working is the VHF radio not transmitting but that's not stopping anyone. So I said to the boys at the shop today "Who's coming out with me?" Holy shimoly, it's Easter weekend, need to visit the kids and Grand kids, I have to rake the lawn, I would but my back is sore. I am starting to think that I am not a very good skipper. I called my brother and he says your on Bro, but only Tuesday, going to Vegas Wednesday so Tuesday it is. I'll report back.

Enjoy getting out as much as you all can while you can and never take it for granted. We all have different DNA. I remember heading to El Jobean while it was dark when we had the place in Florida. Got back about 1PM and cooked up our catch. Around 3PM I find myself watching a fishing show on TV. I thought are you out of your mind man? 5 minutes to the pier and here I am watching a fishing show on TV and guys home are scrapping ice off the car. We went back out until 7. Enjoy it while you can, as much as you can. I was single then too. The first road trip with my now wife was a week at the camp on the Ottawa, no bathroom or running water. She was a 5* hotel room kinda girl. She hung in there for a week and never made a peep. And she said she would go back. That was 25 years ago, a keeper and personal best.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

It's that time of year! I pulled mine out of the backyard and started prepping it for the season. Started with a good wash but I'll probably give it another coat of sealant and buff it so it really shines and protects the gelcoat!

Grimsby, I highly recommend a coat of Maguire's fibre glass de-oxidiser before the wax this time of year. I know it is made for glass rigs but gets all that winter grime out in the spring. My aluminum boat shines like out of the factory after a coat of Mothers in the spring, going on 24 years old. I might give it a quick shot of Nu Finish during the year and before the winter. Also a quick cleaning of Maguire's on he engine cowl when the sun starts backing it in the summer. I keep the de oxidiser in the boat and when the fishing is slow is when I do it. Multi tasker I am.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Get out there man! Time is a wasting. Motion is the lotion for them aging joints. Stretch with hooksets.

All that stuff.

Enjoy your season. Make the best of 'er!

You are 110% Mr. Bunker. Like taking 2 months off from the gym (in the old days) and getting back into it. A body sprain for a week. We went 5 pin bowling 3 weeks ago. Most I have done all winter and haven't missed a Sunday since. Once all the swelling and the legs bi-cep killing me went away I have never felt as good in a very long while. Need to break up all that scar tissue. Motion is the lotion, I need to keep that one, thanks Drew.

Edited by Old Ironmaker