Trailer Wheel bearings

AKRISONER

Thanks to everyone who chimed in here. Grimsby I was able to identify the exact bearings and races I needed by providing my VIN to EZ loader via the phone in washington.

I then went to princess auto last night and got the bearings...

Side note I wanted to get a race and seal driver set, princess auto had one listed for 60 bucks. So after working with 3 guys to find the 60 dollar kit it turned out that their inventory was messed up and they had none in stock. The stockboy then suggested that he could take a look at the last sale price on the $120 kit just to see what he could do for me...i guess they had them on clearance because I got the 120 kit for 50 bucks! sweeeeeet.

I tried everywhere to find a Hub that would match as this seemed like a logical option but I could guarantee fitment so i went with the bearing swap option.

I will let you guys know how it goes on Friday!

Hint for next time, take one of the old cones if they're both the same size for inner and outer and spend 5 minutes at a bench grinder. Gently grind down the outer circumference so that it was just fall into the hub. You have a perfectly sized cone driver.

Akri, you remind me of someone I was very close to 40 years ago. He always had plenty of time to get the vehicle ready before a road trip and before he knew it I was, I mean "he" was leaving in the morning before checking if there was a spare tire in the trunk well. Someone must have stolen the spare, and jack and tire iron along with his brain. A flat once cost me around $500.00 on the Mass Pike going to Boston for a game, not including body work in 77'. And the Jays lost.

Akri, you remind me of someone I was very close to 40 years ago. He always had plenty of time to get the vehicle ready before a road trip and before he knew it I was, I mean "he" was leaving in the morning before checking if there was a spare tire in the trunk well. Someone must have stolen the spare, and jack and tire iron along with his brain. A flat once cost me around $500.00 on the Mass Pike going to Boston for a game, not including body work in 77'. And the Jays lost.

hahaha the scramble is crazy, the days are flying by leading up to this trip and its stressing me the hell out. I guess thats what i get for organizing the trip, driving the truck and supplying the boat. My lucky friends get the benefit of sitting back letting me book the campground, fixing the trailer, getting the boat ready and taking them down to alabama to fish with me.

Perhaps i prefer it this way because now I get to do whatever the heck i want lol.

hahaha the scramble is crazy, the days are flying by leading up to this trip and its stressing me the hell out. I guess thats what i get for organizing the trip, driving the truck and supplying the boat. My lucky friends get the benefit of sitting back letting me book the campground, fixing the trailer, getting the boat ready and taking them down to alabama to fish with me.

Perhaps i prefer it this way because now I get to do whatever the heck i want lol.

That tells me you are a natural born leader. It was one of the questions I had when doing a job interview. "If your friends and yourself are planning a trip what is your role?" Simple question but the answer tells a lot. You would be surprised at some answers. Some people in this World don't have any friends, and one person actually said that.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

jesus it seems guys are absolutely loving the lipless cranks...i might have to throw a couple of extras in the box!

and holy crap 30 degrees is gonna feel hot as hell for us canadian boys. we were ice fishing only 3 weeks ago!

Edited by AKRISONER

jesus it seems guys are absolutely loving the lipless cranks...i might have to throw a couple of extras in the box!

and holy crap 30 degrees is gonna feel hot as hell for us canadian boys. we were ice fishing only 3 weeks ago!

Those lipless cranks do make good search baits, you can cover some water with them!

Other lures seemed to have worked also though?

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2017-02-07-lake-guntersville-top-10-patterns

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2017-02-06-top-10-baits-from-lake-guntersville-

Have a great time!

an update to the situation

as always murphys law and snaf u were totally in effect this past weekend.

There I was, with all of the parts the right tools. The second wheel after a smooth installation of the first.

Punching the race in with a race punch tool, whack whack crack and the piece of the hub shatters and goes flying off.

More research, i figure i can simply replace the hub. I make a run and buy a hub, go to install...the nut wont fit on...this isnt right...oh look at that our hub is 4 inches when the old one is 3.5...a ``short hub`` as they call it.

tow the boat home on a broken hub sketchy...its now in georgetown. i make some calls today...ya the hubs dont exist anymore...gotta replace the entire axle now. 1 week turnaround if you can bring the axle into them.

So ya im renting a boat in alabama and my boat is now stuck in the gta...great.

someone tell my old man, you dont try to fix whats not broken. We should have never tried replacing the bearings in the first place, they looked to be in great shape when we pulled the old ones out.

Edited by AKRISONER

I was going to say, at the start of this thread, to just pop the dust covers off and have a look before doing all this.

I carry an extra lubed hub/bearing assembly with me, but I've never needed it. I check my bearings once a year, and as long as the seals are good, and they are greased, they last a long time. My axle has the e-z lube system on it, and I never add grease to it. I figure if grease can't get out, water can't get in, so I just check the inner/outer seals and if they are clean and free of grease on the outside, they are good to go.

People worry too much about bearings IMO....

S.

I was going to say, at the start of this thread, to just pop the dust covers off and have a look before doing all this.

I carry an extra lubed hub/bearing assembly with me, but I've never needed it. I check my bearings once a year, and as long as the seals are good, and they are greased, they last a long time. My axle has the e-z lube system on it, and I never add grease to it. I figure if grease can't get out, water can't get in, so I just check the inner/outer seals and if they are clean and free of grease on the outside, they are good to go.

People worry too much about bearings IMO....

S.

the seals were indeed blown, but my father is extremely anal about greasing the bearings every single time he tows the trailer anywhere. Hence the bearings were still in great shape.

the seals were indeed blown, but my father is extremely anal about greasing the bearings every single time he tows the trailer anywhere. Hence the bearings were still in great shape.

Greasing the bearings every time you go is what blew out the seals. They don't need any more grease, once they are full, they are full. Adding more just blows out seals. That's the #1 issue I see with bearing buddies, people think you need to add grease every time they move the trailer. Just leave them alone. If you don't see grease coming out, there is no need to add any. If you do see grease coming out, water is getting in, and they need some maintenance.My boat trailer has had the same bearings and grease for 5 yrs......I've never in my life had a trailer bearing problem.

I'm sure I just jinxed myself though.....duh...LOL

S.

Greasing the bearings every time you go is what blew out the seals. They don't need any more grease, once they are full, they are full. Adding more just blows out seals. That's the #1 issue I see with bearing buddies, people think you need to add grease every time they move the trailer. Just leave them alone. If you don't see grease coming out, there is no need to add any. If you do see grease coming out, water is getting in, and they need some maintenance.My boat trailer has had the same bearings and grease for 5 yrs......I've never in my life had a trailer bearing problem.

I'm sure I just jinxed myself though.....duh...LOL

S.

very fair...although 5 years aint long...the trailer is from 1994...original everything and im the one that broke it.

very fair...although 5 years aint long...the trailer is from 1994...original everything and im the one that broke it.

I bent my axle before my original bearings went. I still have the originals, but the new axle I put in has the E-Z lube hubs.

S.

My last boat I put 300,000k on trailer. The one before this same. I've had every imaginable bearing blow out. Learned to have 2 hubs, front different than back and 2 sets of bearings, all tools necessary,jacks, 4 way wrench.

When you are 20 hrs from home you better know what to do.

Going through the PITA that is changing bearings for the first time. Good thing I'm doing this as preventative maintenance and not on the side of the road during black fly season or in the dead of winter.

I made the mistake of trying to eyeball the bearing size and had to make a couple unnecessary trips to CT. Funny thing is they have dozens of "open box deals" thanks to people like me. You're welcome.

I do have a question though; is the bearing race universal for 1in and 1 1/16th? I put in the new race and don't want to have to pound it out again...

hey sterling

the races are universal for the 1 and 1 1/16 axle...the bearing size is what you have to watch. If you have a 1 1/16th axle you need to L4469 bearing, if you have a 1 inch axle you need a L44643 bearing.

The seals are also size specific. I cant remember the product code as the packaging had it printed on the front of the package.

Honest opinion here, if you dont require a short hub, go and buy the standard canadian tire trailer hub, its a cheaper and easier way of doing the whole process, for literally the same price and this way you dont have to pound the races in and out.

I broke my hub trying to put the races in and I was even using the proper tool for it. The races come pre installed in the new hubs, my kit even came with bearings but unfortunately I had the 1 1/16th axle so the bearings didnt fit.

I ended up spending just as much on bearings as I did for the whole Hub, races, bearings, and pins.

We finally got our new short hub this weekend and the job was a 10 minute fix.