blue

Hey guys,

I'm new here and new to the area and wanted to say hi and hopefully meet some new friends. I'll tell you a bit about my situation and get a laugh and some advice. I moved here to Barrie the end of last summer. I have a brother that lives here and he been trying to get me out here for years. He was ecstatic when me and the wife finally decided to make the move. Anyway when we did arrive it was late summer and he wanted to bring me fishing. I fished most of my life but never and I mean never did I ever see my brother fish. I was in shock that he ask me to go fishing. I laughed actually. He told me he been fishing for the last two years and loves it. I asked if he ever caught anything and he says yaaaa all the time. So I said great lets go, he says he has a spot up near Severn. So im thinking great this is going to be good. So on the weekend I get my gear and show up at his house. . I had my big tackle box, half decent rod, baseball hat, sunglasses ect...ready to fish. He comes out with nice pants and top on, no hat and he's carrying a little bity tackle box that fits in his palm and at least a 10 ft fishing rod with a little bitty tiny ice fishing reel on it. Omg! I had to laugh...I laughed way to hard actually. I knew right then that this was going to be a long day. Anyway we get there and I'm watching him and he asks me what lures I have. I open my box and show him and he picks out about a 6 inch rapala. I'm looking at him with a smirk and he says WHAT. I know what im doing. LOL. I said ok and I cast my line. I'm watching him out the corner of my eye and he casts and leaves the line in the water like he is still fishing...OMG I was dying inside. I didn't say anything. A few hours go by and I caught a few bass and he hasn't caught anything...lmao. I finally did tell him and we laugh and laugh and he finally confess that he doesn't fish but would like to learn how and that he wanted to just get out and do things with me. Anyway I want to bring him real fishing this spring. I went out and bought a jon boat and putting a floor in it this month. I would like to find a nice secluded lake where there is good size pike or muskie and watch him crap his pants bringing it in..lmao...If you guys know anyway that would be much appreciated. I'll give you pics or maybe a video when he does catch a giant..lmao this will definitely be funny.

Take care guys.

Welcome to the site and good luck.

Hey it's great your Bro tried either way so he could spend some time with you.

As for locations, use the search tool here as in this day and age all current posts don't give up locations but the old posts may and they give you a better idea.

There are a bunch of Barrie area folks here so with luck you meet some and become bud's.

That's funny man. It sounds like when I started, you would be my brother and I would have been your brother. I never fished until I turned 27. I am left handed and used the spinning reel upside down until I found out it was reversible. No one said a thing for an entire year.

Welcome aboard, as far as someone telling you about a great fishing hole, good luck. Barrie is a great start, find some water and throw a line.

Welcome aboard Blue. Plenty OFC'ers in the GTA/Barrie area that could maybe help get ya started. You're on the doorstep of some great waters. Aside from others giving you ideas, The Fishing Mapbook series along with Google Earth were good tools for me when first moving home to the Ottawa area. Kinda like the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books some of us may have read as kids.

Your story was great. I had a telephone pole to fish mudpout when starting out. Fishing is a process man!

thanks guys for all your replying, I already feel great friendships on the way. I'm loving it here and can't wait for the nice weather. Man it snows up here a lot..lol I'm going to start searching google earth see if I could find some secluded lakes and start planning. I know it's still early but I can't I wait. Take it easy guys.

You have Georgian Bay just north of you with huge pike and muskie. Not secluded, but the best bet for a trophy close to you. I actually don't know of any secluded lakes that fit the description you are seeking.

Welcome to OFC!

welcome...

ignore the haters..it seems they have even found their way into your first thread.

Dont be scared to ask honestly for help. no question is too dumb and if you make a thread asking an honest question, you will probably get 10000x more replies than you could even care to have.

I went from knowing absolutely nothing to owning 20+ rods, ice fishing, fly fishing, trolling, casting, and throwing big baits for muskys, and it was pretty much all thanks to the stuff ive read around here.

Fishing is all in the details my friend...anyone can cast a lure...but learning a few knots, learning about leaders and what line to use when their application, learning about different presentations, texas rigging, drop shotting, walking the dog, carolina rigging, bottom bouncing using a slip float, a tip up etc etc etc...it all takes time...but once you figure it out you will be surprised at how many more fish you start catching.

tight lines!

Edited by AKRISONER

:lol: :lol:YUP ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ WE TAUGHT HIM EVERYTHING HE KNOWS, just not everything we know. :w00t::oops::lol:

hahaha i probably could have turned the amount of reading I have done on this forum about how and what to use into a full time job for a year.

we may not all be willing to give all of our secrets away, but if you can get a little information from everyone eventually you end up with a half decent story lol

Edited by AKRISONER

Actually, it's not Barrie...its Buried.

I moved away from there 15 years ago and don't miss the winters one bit. Though today we're supposed to actually get snow.

Welcome and have fun.

We had a very mild winter here. Been much worse in the pass.

All this snow the past weekend was pretty much to the Barrie area. Anything north of the 4th of Oro, they got nada. We walked on ice all weekend, no snow. It gets crazy here. South of the bay will have nothing. Head up Bayfield, and there will be a foot of snow.