Ice thickness with the warm spell

Acountdeleted

Hey byes'

Was wondering with the recent influx of warm weather (and with the warm spell they are calling for in the next 7 days) if anyone knew if Simcoe and the other big bodies are still safe to fish? Would love to get out this weekend but don't want to take my life in my hands if the warmpth did a number on the ice. (Any info from Barrie to North Bay without naming lakes would be appreciated)

Hey byes'

Was wondering with the recent influx of warm weather (and with the warm spell they are calling for in the next 7 days) if anyone knew if Simcoe and the other big bodies are still safe to fish? Would love to get out this weekend but don't want to take my life in my hands if the warmpth did a number on the ice. (Any info from Barrie to North Bay without naming lakes would be appreciated)

Simcoe is still ok as of yesterday. There's a foot of ice in the perch grounds, 4-6" out further. Don't think the warm weather of the past week did much other than to melt the foot of snow that was sitting on top.

Awesome. Thanks everyone. I've only been able to get out a few times this year and haven't been able to target the big species. I figure a morning on my favorite body of water North of Barrie followed by an afternoon on Simcoe should cure what ails me.

Slush will be easy to navigate through. I just need to wax my smitty.

The launches at Crystal Beach and in Fort Erie are both open and clear of ice for those perch hunters that fear to tread on ice.

This was what also had me concerned. I was at Crystal Beach this weekend just outside of Fort Erie and it looked like a warm April afternoon. No ice, warm beaches. No sign of winter.

Edited by jeremy84

I'm still up in the air myself for this Sun from a hut operator in Innisfil. Anyone in the area please PM me if I should bail or go, thanks.

G

*edit to add*: after all it's a 2 hr drive for me and one person I'm carpooling with if we go is coming from Kingston... Don't want to waste her time and gas if we get there to turn back and then leave the hut company out too...

Edited by GBW

I was on the ice two days ago, Monday Feb 20th. Location = Eastern Ontario, Rideau chain of lakes, 45 min NE of Kingston. A large lake with minimal current, on a back bay.

The surface was snow free, and surface melt had re-froze Sun night. Slick conditions.

Near shore, 11" of ice, with the top inch being snow ice. Out 200yds, 8" of ice. Another 200yds further, 7" The ice was not yet rotting (no vertical bubble lines yet). We had rain Tues night.

Still some fishable conditions, recommend spud bar and floater suit from here on until (if) it gets colder. Stay away from inflows.

Edited by Out4Trout

Oh man. It looks like this year is out to get me.

Simcoe is sounding less and less safe. Looking into Lake X. Thinking thats not safe either. Looking into Lake Y. Maybe with all the warmpth I can actually hike in and stay the night.

....... maybe I'll just stay home, cook the missus dinner and score brownie points for spring.

Edited by jeremy84

Oh man. It looks like this year is out to get me.

Simcoe is sounding less and less safe. Looking into Lake X. Thinking thats not safe either. Looking into Lake Y. Maybe with all the warmpth I can actually hike in and stay the night.

....... maybe I'll just stay home, cook the missus dinner and score brownie points for spring.

What I use every spring to determine if it is safe "FOR ME" is the shovel test in my veggie garden here in Oshawa. I have found frost in the ground to be a real good indicator of how the last ice is holding up. No frost at shovel depth and I'm done for the year for the spots I fish. Tested just 10 minutes ago...still some frost at the full depth of the shovel...which means it will be gone before dark today and LONG gone after our 2 days of rain. So I'm done until we get some cold weather. When I do this I have an American friend I perch fish with who still comes up and sneaks out to our spots on foot...but I'm not with him. He usually kills them on these last ice trips too and gives me the gears for hiding at home. But I'm OK with that.

BTW I have never ever done the shovel test in February before so I am hoping for a refreeze to get out some more.

If you go for gods sake take all the safety precautions you can.

Jeremy, nip will probably have the most ice it'll have all year by early March, just like every other season.

I have a feeling March is going to hit us hard, I'm anticipating another awesome month of sledding and fishing at least.

Thanks bud. You know me, I don't mind making the drive on my own if its safe. Plus I can't wait to show my mom and grandfather some of the nice healthy perch that come out of that lake.