Big Daddy showed up this morning

lew

This big boy usually shows up at dusk and it's normally too dark for a picture but he came by about 20 minutes ago so I was able to get this shot.

Really impressive critter and he had his smaller buddy with him with the tiny antlers.

I'd sure like to find those antlers when he drops them.

005_3.jpg

004_6.jpg

006_3.jpg

Nice shot big guy. He's built like a horse. But I bet he will taste better. I don't like to see the animal or have any relationship with it before it hits the heat. Yes I thought meat came as seen in the butchers shop that had sawdust on the floor. I do remember thinking at around 5 or 6 yrs old that meat was located between the fat and muscle. City boy.

Good to hear you fellas like the pictures and thanks for the link to that huge buck Paul, absolutely massive antlers.

I can't tell if he's symmetrical from the pictures, but that large buck has antler mass. He's somewhere between 22" - 23" across and the G2 on his right is very close to 8". Very nice buck for sure.

Yes, this guys antlers are very symmetrical and look like a perfect match but not sure what your referring to as the G2 on his right.

Good to hear you fellas like the pictures and thanks for the link to that huge buck Paul, absolutely massive antlers.

Yes, this guys antlers are very symmetrical and look like a perfect match but not sure what your referring to as the G2 on his right.

The G2 is the first long tine after the the brow tines(G1). It's the scoring method for whitetail(plus other) bucks. If your ever wondering about size, a mature buck will be approx. 16" ear tip to ear tip and 8" from the center of the eye to the nose. Just part of the way to field score a bucks rack from pictures.

I'm not a fan of antler traps. I don't believe that jerry rigging a device to snag a bucks antlers and pop them off prematurely is good practice. Even if the odds are low of an animal getting harmed getting tangled, I just don't need the sheds that bad. As soon as the snow melts, go a walk. Great exercise and a good excuse to get out in the bush.

I'm not a fan of antler traps. I don't believe that jerry rigging a device to snag a bucks antlers and pop them off prematurely is good practice. Even if the odds are low of an animal getting harmed getting tangled, I just don't need the sheds that bad. As soon as the snow melts, go a walk. Great exercise and a good excuse to get out in the bush.

I agree with this ^^^^^ and figure they'll drop off when the time is right.

Thanks also for the info on how the antlers are measured.

As soon as antlers start dropping, the remaining bucks won't be too far behind meaning there is little to no harm caused by placing antler traps at this time of year.

Not meaning to start anything and just looking to inform people, but feeding deer in this manor is far more inhumane than placing an antler trap would be. Unnecessary/hobby feeding of deer conditions them into being fed and depending on that food rather than finding their own, greatly promotes the spread of disease by congregating many animals in a small area, and gives predators easy hunting grounds. There's a reason why natural resource managers strongly discourage such practice and only promote feeding deer during extreme situations such as abnormally heavy snowfall or ice storms.

As an example, a pic posted by the OP in another thread showed 3-4 deer eating from the feeder at the same which is optimal for spreading disease through contact and saliva. It's very rare for deer to eat out of the same "bowl" in the wild which greatly lowers the risk of spreading disease. However, with a feeder it only takes one infected deer to spread it's disease to the entire herd as they take turns at the feeder.

It's cool watching wildlife, but many people are causing far more harm than good by feeding deer/turkey.