80LB thrust terrova on 16 foot rig?

porkpie

Due to the large amount of trolling I do, I'm considering bumping up to an 80lb thrust ipilot unit, as a deal just came along. I have an older 16 foot lund, similar in specs to the new 16 foot lund fury (not the xl) It's a relatively shallow draft hull, almost identical to the older rebels. Anyone running 2 batteries up front and a 24volt system? I'd have to modify to make room for another battery. Any issues with the extra weight? The boat sports a 50, and isn't underpowered by any means, so I think I'm good, but looking for any input. I've never felt underpowered with my current TM unless in the strongest current, but I sometimes troll for many many hours on my bowmount. Thanks!

Edited by porkpie

My 14' Lund is pretty much a bare bones boat with a 20 hp yammy 4 stroke, full floor, 2 batteries & normal fishing gear. I run a Minn Kota 55 lb & she moves along very well. I'm like you, do a lot of trolling with my electric. Electric is enough power for my purposes. I love trolling with it!

Thanks for the info, Bondar the pics would be helpful. I have a single battery box in the front. I've thought about moving them all to the rear and just using the front box as extra storage as well, but modifying is an idea also. The boat is a 98 model and the front deck is a little punky on one side so I'm going to redoe it this spring.

Don't forget the onboard charger also close to the batteries. 2 batteries, charger and the motor adds a lot of extra weight to the tongue of the trailer. I have a 05 Lund Explore side console.

That charger weights a lot. I'm thinking moving my boat back on the trailer.

I just did the same this year

I have an old lund tiller 16' explorer that sounds like it's about the same size as yours

Just put a 24v 70lb maxxum on my boat with 2 group 27 batteries

2 guys loaded up with musky gear and lunches are no issue for my 50 yammy

You will splash a bit more if you put the weight up front like I did but it's similar to having a third guy in the front of your boat

I set my boat up so the batteries are easy to remove... if I'm not gunna use my trolling motor I'll pull the motor and batteries in 5 minutes

You'll be blown away at the speed you'll get outta that 80lb

Dave, I use it for pickerel trolling, there is nothing like it and a kicker won't do what I want. I've also been using it to steer when trolling for salmon on my main. My bowmount is probably in use about 75 percent of the time I'm fishing.

Mike, thanks for the input. It's probably a very similar boat.

Edited by porkpie

What do you have on it now? I only ask because you said you troll for many, many hours.....you must have 2 batteries already, no?

I have 2 group 31 DC batteries in my 16ft tiller, with a 55lb minnkota. I can troll all day with both batteries hooked together at 1.5mph. I would like a 70lb'er. My batteries are under my port side rear split bench. Thats about 3 ft forward from the stern of the boat, and dead center on my trailer bunks, right on top of my axle. If I get a passenger who wants to sit on that side of the boat, I find it sits heavy on that side, but other than that, its great. Gas tank is on the starbord side, under my butt so it runs flat with just me.

S.

I have 1 group 31,but regularily carry a spare battery and sometimes I'm changing out. I only have room for 1 battery in my forward compartment unless I modify my storage. A deal came my way on the terrova and I was already trying to figure out how to run 2 batteries in order to extend run time without switching batteries and maybe reduce some of the abuse that they are taking by being run flat. Currently running 55lb thrust.

two batteries with say 800 mah in series to achieve 24v will not increase run-time (although the 80lb will have to work less than the 55lb to maintain the same speed, so there should be some run time increase) -- they are just now a 24v 800 mah battery

two batteries with say 800 mah in parallel will double the amp hour capacity, increasing run-time -- they are now a 12v 1600 mah battery.

i'd consider what stonefish said above. nobody ever died from having too much trolling motor, in fact it's kinda nice, but it sounds like your issue is not lack of power but more time on a charge.

Edited by Raf

two batteries with say 800 mah in series to achieve 24v will not increase run-time (although the 80lb will have to work less than the 55lb to maintain the same speed, so there should be some run time increase) -- they are just now a 24v 800 mah battery

two batteries with say 800 mah in parallel will double the amp hour capacity, increasing run-time -- they are now a 12v 1600 mah battery.

i'd consider what stonefish said above. nobody ever died from having too much trolling motor, in fact it's kinda nice, but it sounds like your issue is not lack of power but more time on a charge.

It has to do with your amp draw

If you run a bigger thrust motor at 50% speed instead of a smaller motor at 100% speed then the 2 batteries for 24 volt will give you significant extra run time

But if the OP never uses his current motors full capacity then yes 12 volt 2 battery set up would do just fine

Edited by Mike Rousseau

I had a 17 foot Smokercraft Pro Angler, an older boat and only 73 inches wide, also under powered, a package boat with a 35hp motor, but rated for a 60hp motor.

A lot of lake here are electric motor only, and most inland lakes here aren't huge. It came with a 35# thrust Minnkota, which was adequate unless there was wind. I changed to a 55# thrust 12 volt Motorguide when the Minnkota wore out.

Under powered, 2 batteries, I always had a spare trolling motor battery, I moved mine to the rear, a livewell up front full of water and fish and 2 batteries made is slow to plane, not that I was going to go anywhere in a hurry anyway!

A high sided aluminum boat is going to catch more wind, I probably should have gone with at least a 70# 24 volt system. A battery usually lasted me most of the day, and I had mine set up with Anderson quick connects, so I could just unplug one and plug in the spare.

I have a 80lb 24 volt on a ranger which is a heavier boat.I have 24 volt trolling and 12 volt running battery with charger onboard at the rear of the boat. If youwant to decide where the batteries need to be load the boat as normal and have a 130lb person while the boat is on plane move from front to back. Watch the speed and attitude of the boat and where it runs the best will answer front or back. The Ranger has a high speed pad in the back that it rides on at speed so I have 28 gal. of fuel 3 batteries and charger in back which it loves. I moved the 130 lb to the front and lost 3 mph and the ride attitude was nose heavy. If your boat has power trim you can make up for some of the weight but if not it is important.The 24 volt motor is more efficient and with 2 batteries you will use 1/2 the amps of a 12 volt system and the run time will be longer. I use my 80 fishing weedbeds in wind and current and usually get 2 days of run before recharging. Treat your batteries well though recharge them as soon as you can they do not like being in a discharged state.

Art

A 24 volt system with batteries in series will give longer run time because it will draw fewer amps than a 12 volt system. E.g. if he likes to use 30 lbs of thrust to troll, the 12v motor will draw 30 amps while a 24v system will only draw 15 amps.

Even at full power, the 24v motor draws 40 amp versus 55 for the 12v. The 24v system gets you longer run time and more power when needed. A second battery for a 12v only gives a longer run time.

A 24 volt system with batteries in series will give longer run time because it will draw fewer amps than a 12 volt system. E.g. if he likes to use 30 lbs of thrust to troll, the 12v motor will draw 30 amps while a 24v system will only draw 15 amps.

Even at full power, the 24v motor draws 40 amp versus 55 for the 12v. The 24v system gets you longer run time and more power when needed. A second battery for a 12v only gives a longer run time.

learned something today!! thanks.

I have a 16' Lund, I upgraded from a 12v 55# to a 80# Terrova about 7 years ago...I had to put the two batteries in the main bow compartment as the front 'battery' compartment wasn't big enough. It works but I wish there was somewhere else for the batteries...Didn't really compromise the space, but they are under the solid middle part of the deck and hard to get at...

I would never have anything less than an 80# on a 16'er now....Love it!

Yup, another happy fisherman here with a 16' tin tiller and a 24V 80 Terrova on the front (40HP Honda on back). I love it!!!

I buy really good batteries and can troll all day for two straight days before needing to recharge. My Sylvan has one huge compartment under the front deck that easily holds two batteries, a charger, and a bunch of other stuff.