Little lake Barrie,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

misfish

Was surprised this morning to find out the trailer park has been sold. Not only sold, but the demolition has started. The drive was still open, so I went down to take some pics of the ice forming. -7.

When I left, I seen the sign.

KIMG0006.jpg

I for one have fished this lake for almost 35+ years. It,s a fun lake to fish. I would use it when I didnt want to travel, and John always let me park and put the toon in for free.

I wonder if the owner will keep a spot for anglers to slip in thier water crafts? Something tell me NO.

There is a positive, but the positive really dose nothing for the angler. More fish,less anglers. I do have to say this about that little body of water. It has sustained fish after fish, even with the heavy angler pressure.

Oh, the ice was forming this morning, but Im sure now, it has melted.LOL

KIMG0002.jpg

Ya, that's a little sad for sure. I know a free access point to get on the lake from the opposite side, but you need a snowmobile to get there!

In fact, I can drive a snowmobile from my home in midhurst directly to little lake and not really need to to much road running. Only a tiny bit to get to the snowmobile trails.

You are right, with one of the trailer parks gone, that means no more pontoon boat rentals, no more free ice fishing access, and one less boat launch for general use.

The fishing should get better over the next few years!

Urban sprawl, but the seniors who will live there may get to enjoy it.

B it was the place to fish when the car wouldn't make it any further. I've been on it 2 times! never in winter :(

We use the early ice to get our gear in working order , waiting for the lady to freeze up.

Won't be long before you and Terry live there.. so you'll get your access back!! :jerry::ninja: :ninja:

Hey Wayne, It would be the only water front property I would have a chance to live on. :whistling:

Won't be long before you and Terry live there.. so you'll get your access back!! :jerry::ninja: :ninja:

I don't care who you are that's just funny!!!!

LOL

Dan.

PS:

B & Terry.

When can I join the old (good) guys team?

Edited by DanD

That's what they call progress now. Urban sprawl is more like it. They are doing the same thing around here. Several cottages and some more like nice homes are on leased land at Featherstone Point, many Hammer guys will know it well. Rumour has it the new owner has plans for lakefront and lakeside development. I would say there is 30 acres there at least. The residents there are on year to year leases. A 60X120 lakefront lot down the road from us was recently sold in 4 days. They were asking 269K and got 280K, no dwelling.

There is still a trailer park on the lake that bought all the boats from the closed park. They will be the only access to the lake (other than N.A.W's) and will rent pontoons and 14 footers. That access by the curve in the road has always been private, people just used it. It will probably be closed off to the public.

There is still a trailer park on the lake that bought all the boats from the closed park. They will be the only access to the lake (other than N.A.W's) and will rent pontoons and 14 footers. That access by the curve in the road has always been private, people just used it. It will probably be closed off to the public.

I think that's the one I was thinking of. I'd always say hi to em and offer em a $5 to toss my kayak in off of their shores. They always told me not to worry about it. Ice fishing might be a little different though.

I have no skin in this game but obviously Barrie is growing and growing way too fast for its own good. From my experiences driving through and in Barrie, planning is an utter joke. Driving across town shouldn't be the equivalent of driving further south. Of course, if I lived on Little Lk, I'd be more than curious about what plans are made for the area and be a thorn as well. But honestly, I'd prefer seniors residences vs another lakeside subdivision of ticky tacky boxes.

Perhaps locals should be agitating for continued access to the lake via row ?

I have no skin in this game but obviously Barrie is growing and growing way too fast for its own good. From my experiences driving through and in Barrie, planning is an utter joke. Driving across town shouldn't be the equivalent of driving further south. Of course, if I lived on Little Lk, I'd be more than curious about what plans are made for the area and be a thorn as well. But honestly, I'd prefer seniors residences vs another lakeside subdivision of ticky tacky boxes.

Perhaps locals should be agitating for continued access to the lake via row ?

You are so bang on about Barrie. Growing faster then should be. They improved the waste treatment ( so they say), but Im sure it,s not enough. It friggen stinks down there. Nice smell eh for a water front. All this new water front improvement is just crap as well. They have made lake shore so narrow, and parking along it, very dangerous. I really dont know who came up with this plan, but it,s total rubbish.

As for Little lake, like I said, it was a nice little spot to float out on a sunday morning during the soft water season, and a place to get the hard water gear inline. I have caught some real nice fish on that lake during my early adventures in my days. 10lb walleye and a 40+inch pike, and tons of bass. Four golf courses draw from the water shed now, and the lake drops fast.

It will interesting to see how the new elderly residents, paying top dollar, feel about the area once it,s settled in.

Edited by Brian B

You should contact Lawrence Park and see what they have planned for winter access. I think they have a parking issue for summer traffic if they are going to be renting twice the number of boats.

Regarding the parking issue, that's going to be 100% true. I fished there this year for the first time in years, and cars were jammed everywhere. I was fortunate enough to be the sole vehicle parked on a little mound of grass with a tree on it, leaving room for only one vehicle.

Hope for the best in the years to come, from this lovely "Little Lake". It holds memories for MANY people.