2019-2020 Hockey Thread

I think a slash on the stick that breaks a stick is a penalty. A slash on the hands that causes an injury like Methots deserves a suspension. The penalty should fit the crime and each player should be accountable for their actions, intentional or not. If the league allows injuries from slashes like this then I would say it's open season on Crosby as well. Where would it stop?

These guys have spent most of their lives in a rink playing hockey at a level most of us can't even begin to relate to, they know what they are doing.

I've always given Sid the benefit of the doubt but this play should have been a suspension. When a guy pulls off his glove and his finger is missing, why does that not compare to a high sticking where a guy bleeds and loses a few teeth?

You're right...it should have been a penalty. But not a suspension because Methot got injured. The league can't start handing out suspensions based on medical conditions. You've have guys out "injured" all the time trying to draw larger suspensions...especially in or near the playoffs. Now, Crosby is good, but there is no way he specifically targeted that injury. Even the guys on Hockey Central discussed that fact that some part of responsibility lays on the players to wear proper gear. As many of the pros do, Methots was wearing a very light glove which optimizes feel. That's on him. And the high sticking rules only makes a distiction between 2 and 4 minutes..not a suspension.

You're right...it should have been a penalty. But not a suspension because Methot got injured. The league can't start handing out suspensions based on medical conditions. You've have guys out "injured" all the time trying to draw larger suspensions...especially in or near the playoffs. Now, Crosby is good, but there is no way he specifically targeted that injury. Even the guys on Hockey Central discussed that fact that some part of responsibility lays on the players to wear proper gear. As many of the pros do, Methots was wearing a very light glove which optimizes feel. That's on him. And the high sticking rules only makes a distiction between 2 and 4 minutes..not a suspension.

I disagree on this. If a player gets injured due to a malicious act of another player, you get an NHL appointed doctor to look at him. However long the doctor says the player should take to recover, the attacker is suspended for that many games unless the player is medically cleared to return sooner.

I disagree on this. If a player gets injured due to a malicious act of another player, you get an NHL appointed doctor to look at him. However long the doctor says the player should take to recover, the attacker is suspended for that many games unless the player is medically cleared to return sooner.

You can disagree but if it was as simple as you make it out to be, the NHL would have done it years ago. Frankly, it makes zero sense to try to coordinate injuries with time served and whether it was intentional or accidental.

Edited by grimsbylander

I disagree with both. It's Crosby, suspend him for 10 games just because lol.

Next up, dyneema woven fibres in gloves.

does the NHL even review the play since there was no penalty called? I think Crosby deserved a couple of games, although the slash didn't look too bad except for the outcome. The one rule I'd like the NHL to adopt is if you run into the goalie in the crease it should be a 5 minute major, they would think twice about running the goalie or falling on them , goalies are too valuable to teams and can't afford to lose them.

Edited by mikeh

You can't suspend on the outcome, that makes no sense at all. If I crack a guy over the head with my stick but he's 100% fine and doesn't even miss a shift, do I get suspended? What happens if I merely tap him on the helmet and he has a concussion and is out for the season? Crosbys slash was something that happens probably 100 times during a game, **** happens these aren't ballet dancers that are out there skating around. Go get stitched up and get back on the ice.

There is an automatic penalty already for high sticking. If the ref thinks you attempted to injure he can give a game misconduct and you would have a review. Possibly leading to a suspension. Many slashes go without a penalty but breaking the stick or hitting the hands is a penalty already as well. So if you slash someone with the force enough to remove a piece of finger then the ref should have the right to say you attempted to, or caused a significant injury and you get a game ejection, misconduct and a hearing. Whats so wrong with that?

You can't suspend on the outcome, that makes no sense at all. If I crack a guy over the head with my stick but he's 100% fine and doesn't even miss a shift, do I get suspended? What happens if I merely tap him on the helmet and he has a concussion and is out for the season? Crosbys slash was something that happens probably 100 times during a game, **** happens these aren't ballet dancers that are out there skating around. Go get stitched up and get back on the ice.

^^^ Easy, sticks get snapped in two all the time with well over enough force to break a finger. So is it intent to injury when the stick gets sheared off but there's no injury? Nope, its a two min minor. Now, if the guy two hands him with a baseball swing, and it's been done, that gets called and you'll probably get either a phone interview or an in-person hearing. That is exactly what you're describing. Honestly, I've seen that slash on Methot half a dozen times and I'm still shocked it caused that much damage. It was hardly an vicious attack. Crosby should have got 2...that's it. I still say you can't cheat on equipment and blame someone else for an injury.

Im telling you guys right now, you'll see the demise of leather and dyneema fibre will be added to gloves and possible other equipment in the next year or two.

I have socks made with dyneema and they protect your feet easily as much as shoes.you can step on a nail and it won't penetrate the skin

Sawfiler socks lol

Edited by manitoubass2

Im telling you guys right now, you'll see the demise of leather and dyneema fibre will be added to gloves and possible other equipment in the next year or two.

I have socks made with dyneema and they protect your feet easily as much as shoes.you can step on a nail and it won't penetrate the skin

Sawfiler socks lol

I didn't know they made dyneema in lace!!! :lol:

They always like to make it interesting!!

Back to the Crosby slash. I watched it again and it sure didn't seem like a hard enough slash to cause the damage that it did. I still believe a 2 minute penalty would have been sufficient.

Yes, it should have been a 2 minute penalty, nothing more.

It was just bad luck that he hit the joint in the glove where there is next to no protection.

The joint opens up when gripping the stick making it a vulnerable spot.

I believe they just need to call all of these hacks and the players should tone down on the hacking if they know that the slightest violation will land them in the sin bin.

Supreme%20170%20glove_main_zps2ryoqcei.p

That was another big 2 points. It wouldn't have to be but both Boston and Tampa won as well tonight. 36 goals for Matthews and 2 points behind the Sens.

Yes but Isles lost. Can't control that other stuff, just play hard and hope for the best.