2019-2020 Hockey Thread

I can understand why ownership would want the Leafs to make the playoffs...revenue. But as a fan? All season I'm hoping they slump. We didn't get Matthews because we made the playoffs in a wildcard slot. Who cares? When the playoffs roll around I want to watch only the best teams in the league...and right now, that's not Toronto. Go get some more picks and keep on building.

Agreed 100%. I don't care if we make the playoffs at all. Actually scratch that I do, I don't want them to. I want them to get another great draft pick and keep the rebuild going. 2-3yrs down the road is when I wanna see some playoff hockey with our boys in blue!!!

Edited by BillM

I said a month ago that I didnt think they would make it, even when they were in. When those games in hand on boston just disappeared I knew it was going to be a grind.

the only point in favour of making the playoffs is to allow the young guns to wet their feet in a season where there is absolutely nothing at stake.

I can see the benefit that getting the first 4+playoff games experience out of the way would have, but aside from that the lower the draft pick the better.

If you arent going to make it, then race for the bottom.

Who knows we might see them start benching guys like they did to kadri last year.

Who are the good defensemen that are available in the draft this year? Are there many? I haven't been following junior hockey.

The leafs don't need to make the playoffs, I think they will get the higher intensity experience they need going down the stretch.

Me thinks Lou wants them to make the playoffs though.

Edited by jimmer

Agreed 100%. I don't care if we make the playoffs at all. Actually scratch that I do, I don't want them to. I want them to get another great draft pick and keep the rebuild going. 2-3yrs down the road is when I wanna see some playoff hockey with our boys in blue!!!

Making or not making the playoffs may be the difference between picking 16th or 19th. I don't think that will make much difference.

I would have preferred to see them get a better draft pick too. But, unless they completely tank and end up in the basement, they are not likely to get a high level pick. The chances of them barely making the playoffs and winning a lottery pick are pretty slim.

Either, finishing in the bottom two; or making the playoffs would be good. Ninth in their conference is not good.

I don't see a Cinderella story of them making the playoffs and making a run for it, at least not this year. Would playoff hockey be good experience? Sure, do the odds of injuries also increase? You bet. Personally I'd play it safe, enjoy the off season healthy and get ready for next year.

I don't see a Cinderella story of them making the playoffs and making a run for it, at least not this year. Would playoff hockey be good experience? Sure, do the odds of injuries also increase? You bet. Personally I'd play it safe, enjoy the off season healthy and get ready for next year.

Yep. Imagine facing Pitts or Chicago??? Not good at all. That's a risk I don't want them to take

Who are the good defensemen that are available in the draft this year? Are there many? I haven't been following junior hockey.

The leafs don't need to make the playoffs, I think they will get the higher intensity experience they need going down the stretch.

Me thinks Lou wants them to make the playoffs though.

Timothy Liljergen looks great but will go top 3.

Keep an eye on Nicholas Hauge or Cal Foote. Both guys would look great on the leafs. But both may go top 15.

Timothy Liljergen looks great but will go top 3.

Keep an eye on Nicholas Hauge or Cal Foote. Both guys would look great on the leafs. But both may go top 15.

Well currently they would pick 13th so there's still time to drop a few more spots to help solidify a good draft pick. :whistling:

Screw all the "i dont want them to make the playoffs"

Its too late to have the worst overall record again....go for the show! A few points higher and everyone would be going nuts hoping they held onto a spot.

You don't have to be dead last to get a good pick. And yes 3-5 spots does make a difference.

Hey Bill, where did all Septembers patient, understanding fans go that wanted to rebuild this team the right way?? Screw it!! trade the farm it's playoff time!! LOL