When you hit an Immovable Object (NF)

hutch4113

So here I am, lying on my couch enjoying a lazy Sunday Afternoon, when my phone starts ringing. It is a friend of mine, who had asked me earlier to go out boating - but I was not really in mood (strange...I know).

Now what could he be calling me for now. PIcked it up -> and was asked - hey you available? I hit a rock, and my entire lower unit is gone - and we are drifting. Need a tow.

So this is my 2nd time in helping out a fellow boater - actually 2nd time helping him out. 1st time was last year, he had made it up to 8 Mile Point, before the motor conked out. Took me 45 minutes from Barrie to where he was, and then a delightful 3 hour tow back to where he launched (Tiffen).

This time he was even further out, but very close to Orillia (Couchiching side). After trying to ascertain where he was, the planning began. For some reason he could not get anyone on VHF, there were no boats around, etc - but I think it was just the moment. He had is family and another on board, he wasn't sure if they were taking in water, etc. so it may have just been overwhelming.

Worked out in the end - had a friend up at that end of the Lake that was on the water near them, so arranged a tow. OPP showed up as well (though they would not tow the boat - not at least until they were almost at the Marina, and the other boat ran into some diffculties - to large to manuever properly in the Narrows).

Now for the Damage (you may want to close your eyes)

IMG-20160814-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20160814-WA0002.jpg

Needless to say - I think I see the problem :whistling:

Interestingly the Marina wanted to charge him $4000 to repair/replace the Lower Unit, and was very anxious to get it on a trailer and in their shop - where I guess he would have no choice. We left it a slip, as it was not taking on water, he got his trailer and got it back to Barrie. Figures he can replace it himself much cheaper (has already got quotes on what is need, which is 1/2 the cost of the original quote).

By the way - the water is low in Couch...lol... :tease:

that would have been scary as all hell!

Thats why you dont give err through areas that you have not boated the exact path before.

That looks a heck of a lot worse than "the water is low so rocks are being hit that werent there before" that looks outright like he smashed into a shoal. Incredible no one was hurt.

Ya - it was a shoal. He had his charts up, but was going to fast, and was distracted. He was looking for his GPS Breadcrumb, from the last time he was there, so had the map zoomed out. But he had just upgraded the Maps and firmware on the devices, so lost his previous track.

Told me on the way home last night it was completely his fault - he saw the marker - but not the one at the other end of the shoal.

Distracted driving - causes problems on all types of machinery.

Oh that looks like it hurts, no amount of pain meds will help. $4000.00 to replace a lower unit? I guess I am spoiled having 2 retired marine mechanics amongst my group of close friends. I have seen them take off and replace a lower unit in 30 minutes or less if things go smooth. The last rebuilt lower unit I picked up for them cost 1800. Even if it's $2000.00 like Cliff said I can't see 20 hours in labour, no way. That's a gouge.

There are many hazards out here on Erie fishing for Walleye and Bows, rocks aren't one of them luckily. Going for Bass well that's when I need to watch my previous GPS routes and the water ahead of me.

Just thinking about this and talking to Ted the marine Guru a few minutes ago, he may have bent the bejeezus out of the shaft and damaged pretty well any moving part in that drive train. I sure hope not but that was a big violent hit. So Ted said 4 grand may not get the boat on the water. Especially if it was a stainless prop. Hopefully not.

Like Ted said 2 grand may not and probably doesn't cover a new prop that can go $600.00 alone.

Like Brian said you are a good guy to do that for him. If he had to get a tow what would it go for up there? I got a short tow in by the Coast Guard to the marina by the Coast Guard when I broke down just outside of Port Dover and expected to pay for it. The charge was "zero". I am on record so I wouldn't expect to get that price again, especially if I ran out of gas, again. They knew I ran out.

I am very surprised he couldn't raise anyone on the VHF. I was out 12 miles in Erie and was able to reach the Coast Guard station calling Pan, Pan, Pan on channel 16 in Sarnia on my 21 year old unit. I was told the Coast Guard has more powerful receivers than our units.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Just thinking about this and talking to Ted the marine Guru a few minutes ago, he may have bent the bejeezus out of the shaft and damaged pretty well any moving part in that drive train. I sure hope not but that was a big violent hit. So Ted said 4 grand may not get the boat on the water. Especially if it was a stainless prop. Hopefully not.

Like Ted said 2 grand may not and probably doesn't cover a new prop that can go $600.00 alone.

Like Brian said you are a good guy to do that for him. If he had to get a tow what would it go for up there? I got a short tow in by the Coast Guard to the marina by the Coast Guard when I broke down just outside of Port Dover and expected to pay for it. The charge was "zero". I am on record so I wouldn't expect to get that price again, especially if I ran out of gas, again. They knew I ran out.

I am very surprised he couldn't raise anyone on the VHF. I was out 12 miles in Erie and was able to reach the Coast Guard station calling Pan, Pan, Pan on channel 16 in Sarnia on my 21 year old unit. I was told the Coast Guard has more powerful receivers than our units.

More hindsight - He realized after that he did not have the antenna up. Again it was the moment, and everything going on - sometimes the brain misses the simple things.

He called me up yesterday wanting to know if I could take him back up there, to see if the Prop could be salvaged (and to be honest, it was an excuse to go out in the Boat). We set off from Barrie around 5PM - mindful of the weather. I figured we could get up to Orillia without issue - it would be the ride home that would be interested (and it was).

After about 15 minutes of looking, we found the spot - and the carnage.

IMG-20160816-WA0000.jpg

The drive shaft/gears/hub assembly actually look in pretty good shape:

IMG-20160816-WA0001.jpg

Sadly the Prop did take a bit of a beating - not sure that can be repaired? (Maybe others can chime in on that one?).

IMG-20160816-WA0002.jpg.

Anyway - I gave him 30 minutes in the water, as I did not like the look of the Weather, and knew some bad stuff was coming in from the South. I think our ride home was about 2 hours, compared to the 40 minutes going up. And of course I broke a screw holding the windshield - so I get to do some repair work now... :wallbash: .

But fun none the less.

I have had to go through Barrie and Orillia a few times in the last couple of years, man what a mess. Where did all those cars come from? TO I guess, what a pain. I don't know how you guys can stand that drive. It is the main reason I bought south not north and that was 21 years ago, it's even worse now that I couldn't believe possible. It looks like Toronto starts in Burlington now and goes north to Orillia.

If your interested in going to a 4.3 volvo(Marinized fm )and a Volvo drive with the stern ring I have a deal for you. Pm me if your interested I promise you won't be disapointed

Thanks but it is not my Boat.

I think he is ok - He has a barter arranged with the Marina he will be getting his stuff from. So won't be paying full pop anyway. But PM me your contact info, and I will pass it on to him. If he is interested, he can contact you directly.

Edited by Tupelo