Things Are Bad!!!!!

Man what a fire. This morning they were reporting homeowners were being able to return except 500 residents. They were hoping for a cold front bringing NW winds and that would have changed the path of the devastation. That has all changed now I see. When I was watching CBC weather I thought they made a mistake and had the temps in Fahrenheit. From 25 to 31C across the province. That is just strange. Al Gore may be onto something.

Prayers to all those folks up there. Wild fires are a fact of life up your way for years Blizz. I watched one those Yukon shows and Tanana was nearly burnt to the ground last year. Now there are people where there weren't any before in harms way.

This reminds me of the 1979 CN train derailment in Mississauga.

Tens of thousands were evacuated then.

We were just West of the dividing line living in Erin Mills @ the time.

I was working in the shop in the basement and felt the two largest explosions which happened at Mavis Rd.

Still have a chunk of the train I got from my buddies back yard after the clean up.

Unfathomable. The Fire Dept may catch fire. When all the public are evacuating the brave firefighters are going towards the devastation. The air can't be breathed. If anyone has had to wear a Scott Air Pac you would know how heavy and cumbersome a 30 minute pac is. Now think about wearing it and all your protective equipment in 50C plus heat. Much hotter the closer you get to the blaze. And it's only the first of May, what is going to happen north this summer. Bad just bad.

I have to confess my personal southern Ontario ignorance for the North West. I know many guys that went to the oil and gas projects. I pictured Fort MacMurray as a rural work site town, trailers, shanty's and company stores the way it was when I was there a long long time ago. You couldn't tell from that video if it was Oakville or Orangeville, St Catherines or Sarnia. That "city" has come a long way. Now having said that it might not be a good thing. I kind of like it the way it was.

Blizz have you been there lately? Is part of the "old" Ft. Mac still standing? We downed a few frosties at a place called the Northern Nugget or something like that. That draught beer was double what it was in Hamilton then, maybe more.

Prayers to all, but some special psalms to the Emergency workers please.

It's a terrible situation! I did work out there for 3 years. A few of the problems the residents are facing is highway 63 is the only route in or out of the city. North of the city there is absolute desolation with the exception of the oil plants & the camps that house the workers. Going south out of Fort McMurray it's a 5 hour drive to Edmonton! If the local gas stations run out of gas how are the residents going to evacuate? Evacuees are running out of gas as they attempt to drive south to Edmonton. Those residents that choose to head north to the work camps may find them filled to capacity, possibly running out of food & water. How will these camps get much needed supplies in? I just saw on the news that Beacon Hill (a subdivision of Ft. Mac) has lost 80% of their homes! Very sad. Workers are attempting to get to the airport at the south end of the city, but, being turned back due to the fires. The fire chief of the city stated there are 80 firefighters attempting to bring the wild fires under control. That sounds like a rather low number to me. I don't understand why other firefighters & equipment are not deployed to the area considering the size of these fires & the devastation they could cause. My former supervisor was able to fly home yesterday morning. Another co worker evacuated to a company shop north of the city. Unfortunately there are no stores in that area to get supplies. My thoughts & prayers to the residents/workers of Fort McMUrray.

Edited by wormdunker

I was able to talk to my son last night,he's a manager at Suncor,stuck on site because of the gridlock on the hwy caused be the evacuation.I just found out my daughter in law & my grandkids were able to "get out of dodge"last night & are settled in one of the camps .

Very scary situation for sure.

It's a terrible situation! I did work out there for 3 years. A few of the problems the residents are facing is highway 63 is the only route in or out of the city. North of the city there is absolute desolation with the exception of the oil plants & the camps that house the workers. Going south out of Fort McMurray it's a 5 hour drive to Edmonton! If the local gas stations run out of gas how are the residents going to evacuate? Evacuees are running out of gas as they attempt to drive south to Edmonton. Those residents that choose to head north to the work camps may find them filled to capacity, possibly running out of food & water. How will these camps get much needed supplies in? I just saw on the news that Beacon Hill (a subdivision of Ft. Mac) has lost 80% of their homes! Very sad. Workers are attempting to get to the airport at the south end of the city, but, being turned back due to the fires. The fire chief of the city stated there are 80 firefighters attempting to bring the wild fires under control. That sounds like a rather low number to me. I don't understand why other firefighters & equipment are not deployed to the area considering the size of these fires & the devastation they could cause. My former supervisor was able to fly home yesterday morning. Another co worker evacuated to a company shop north of the city. Unfortunately there are no stores in that area to get supplies. My thoughts & prayers to the residents/workers of Fort McMUrray.

Heard on the news this morning that there are tanker trucks of fuel and diesel going up the highway to supply the stranded vehicles.

The camps are full, Lac La Biche has plenty of space.

Whitecourt and other towns have offered up free hotel rooms to all the refugees.

I don't know if our water bombers have been dispatched to fight the fires or not.

I heard Ontario is sending out 100 Firefighters over there to help out. Hope everyone gets out safely and can contain the fire. The fire chief said that the worst part isn't even over yet. I hope that's not true.

Yup, a cold front is supposed to roll through this afternoon and the wind will switch to the Northwest and will be gusting to 50K plus it will be 30+C again today.

you know what is really sad, we Insure a number of oil and gas companies.....

they, so far, aren't seeing any loss to assets (outside of worker camps) because they have the $$$$$ to fund private fire brigades to protect their assets.

so while the homes are burning, and the government can't employ enough fire fighters to keep the fire under control, the oil and gas companies aren't having any issues (so far) keeping their billion dollar assets safe.

money certainly talks.