Are you ready for them pickeral ?

misfish

I haven't found a snell knot I like yet. Some of the recommended snell knots will fail given enough time. Any recommendations? Does the nail knot tool help with a good snell?

Very seldom had a snell fail. Surprised to hear. What kind of line are you using for harnesses?

To make your harnesses "swim" right, you have to use a snell knot.....unless your only using one hook. I snell the first one, and clinch the end hook. I use improved clinch for everything except the first hook on a harness.

I can't wait to drag harnesses.....still two weeks for me here.

S.

Edited by Sinker

Very seldom had a snell fail. Surprised to hear. What kind of line are you using for harnesses?

15 lb fluoro seaguar I believe. It's not the first snell at the end of the line that failed. The second hook seems to come unsnelled once in a while and slides down to the terminal hook.

That's why I was wondering about the style of snell I'm using.

YUP that's the snelling I use Brian B and the middle hook will slide freely on the line if the knot is given slack such as during the process of unhooking a fish. I've never had the terminal hook unravel but the middle hook has come loose and ended up at the terminal hook several times.

Last year opener in div17. Was slow in usual spots only hit 3 4 fish all morning. On a hunch starting working inside weed edge in 3 ft of water in middle of day was hammer time.

Watching. Big eyes chase your Bucktail and inhale it is awesome

So that's where they were ?

Ive never ever had a snell do that. Are you sure your tying it right? I use harnesses A LOT. Pretty much from the time walleye season opens until hunting season and never ever had that happen. I use 17lb up to 20lb mono for mine.

Ive never ever had a snell do that. Are you sure your tying it right? I use harnesses A LOT. Pretty much from the time walleye season opens until hunting season and never ever had that happen. I use 17lb up to 20lb mono for mine.

X 2 Iv'e never had a snell fail on my harnesses,

Well now that you guys mention it; I'm using lighter line for the terminal portion of the harness. There's so much wood in the Ottawa River I started using lighter leaders like you do in steelheading. I don't care about the harness really I just hate backing the boat up and wrestling with the heavy leader material to breakoff off of the snag. It's the 6lb fluoro that comes unsnelled. Maybe it's a problem using lighter line ..... it's too supple perhaps? I started using the egg knot that steelheaders use for the terminal hook and then the standard snell for the middle hook. I've never lost a fish because of it.

yeah that would help. On a different note, What order do you fish the various spinner blades throughout the season. I start with indiana #4 in spring and then move to colorado blades by june with the willow leaf blade in the warmest part of the summer. Anyone else use that order primarily? i like the brass and nickel colours first then I move to perch colours after that with hot colours next.

Silver hammered colorado blades with red beads has caught me every kind of fish that swims. I hardly every use any other colour. Might switch to a gold blade if silver isn't working, or a chartreuse if the water is dirty.

S.

Silver hammered colorado blades with red beads has caught me every kind of fish that swims. I hardly every use any other colour. Might switch to a gold blade if silver isn't working, or a chartreuse if the water is dirty.

S.

I use hammered copper and black beads(90%of the time)

Works even in muddy water

I use hammered copper and black beads(90%of the time)

Works even in muddy water

Copper with red beads has always been the ticket with me. Caught everything from pickeral, bass, pike, perch, sunfish, brown bullhead.... I fish in some fairly heavily stained waters too.