Polorized sunglasses

Tell that to an optomitrist lol. There are tests that layman like us can do that will show vast differences in lense quality. Maui jims have the highest quality lenses available, some others are good of coarse as well.

Remember when the tobacco companies had doctors recommending a brand of cigarette?

Some of that huge mark-up goes towards professionals to push their product.

I've had quite a few brands of polarized eyewear over the years, Hobies, Bluewaters, Mauis, Oakleys, Costas etc. The best value in quality polarized eyewear that I've worn comes from a Canadian company, Vigor Eyewear. They are available in wide assortment of lenses, the new all-weather rose is what I wear 75% of the time. The lightweight fit is comfortable and many of the models have adjustable nose pieces. For $75 retail a pair, they match well against many glasses that are more than double that cost. If you catch them on sale it's even better!

I think that there's a still a day or so available on a coupon code SPRING10 on their website www.vigoreyewear.com that will save you another $10!

Not having my eyes fatigued at the end of the day and being able to see fish, structure etc. super important to me, so top quality polarized eyewear are key, never mind the safety factor!

2014SM-LakeSimcoe-141024-017-E_zps66759f

Thanks for all the feedback everyone...

I'm leaning towards Maui Jim's at this point... Local optomotrist is getting in the ones I liked the look of online with the glass lenses I wanted to see how they fit... No obligation to buy... So that is great...

Like anything in life some will always go cheap and others will appreciate the higher quality and SERVICE associated with brand name products... To each their own... But after trying on some Maui Jim's today there is nobody in the world that can convince me they aren't a better product then the $20 cheepos... Are they 15x better to reflect the price? Do they block more uv rays? Maybe not but they are a better product IMO

Remember when the tobacco companies had doctors recommending a brand of cigarette?

Some of that huge mark-up goes towards professionals to push their product.

When I asked one at a poker table, he said maui without question, when I mentioned I wanted maui quality uv lenses to the person at costco she said that dont offer a uv lense of that quality. Neither person had a dog in the fight or a motive to say what they said. Just a couple personal observations but as you said the info is out there if you choose to ignore it thats your choice.

I have had tons of different glasses over the years.

The ones I liked the least were Oakley's. The one's I had were the ones with the skinny arms and the dang things broke almost instantly.

The lens' were OK but not great.

My favorite glasses have been Costa's (glass lens') and Ocean Waves (glass Lens').

I also have a couple of pairs of Smith's (good mid level shades), RayBan's (also good mid level shades) lastly I have a pair of Haber Vison's that are really decent especially the rose ones with the readers in the top of the lens. Great for river fishing and tying on those small flies. With the magnifier in the top you don't get the distortion looking through them when looking where you're wading.

http://www.habervision.com/Fishing_c_22.html

I've had quite a few brands of polarized eyewear over the years, Hobies, Bluewaters, Mauis, Oakleys, Costas etc. The best value in quality polarized eyewear that I've worn comes from a Canadian company, Vigor Eyewear. They are available in wide assortment of lenses, the new all-weather rose is what I wear 75% of the time. The lightweight fit is comfortable and many of the models have adjustable nose pieces. For $75 retail a pair, they match well against many glasses that are more than double that cost. If you catch them on sale it's even better!

I think that there's a still a day or so available on a coupon code SPRING10 on their website www.vigoreyewear.com that will save you another $10!

Not having my eyes fatigued at the end of the day and being able to see fish, structure etc. super important to me, so top quality polarized eyewear are key, never mind the safety factor!

2014SM-LakeSimcoe-141024-017-E_zps66759f

Thanks Dave. Just ordered a set. The spring10 coupon worked for $10 off

lens quality is huge, i've tried on glasses that magnify, distort like looking through curved glass and some that even project the image off centre, these poor lens give me a headache within 5 minutes. one trick i use when trying on glasses, move them up and down, if the image through the glasses shifts when you lower them back down over your eyes, the lens are off and will cause eye strain. some are a lot worse than others.

I wore the cheap rapalas for years. Also also bought oakleys and had fake oakleys which I found better quality then my real ones haha. My eyes have been getting worse so I wanted persription sunglasses. I bought these

http://shop.bolle.com/c/sunglasses_view-all_jude

By far the best sunglasses I have ever owned and they look great to.

Does the vendor fit them properly?

We all have different shaped heads.

Got to get into a store with a large selection to figure that out. And yes they do make different sizes. In fact my buddy Tai recently told me Oakley even has an "Asian line" for just that reason that we are all different. Some may be wider, smaller or larger for the nose, you have to go to a store to see at the end of the day no matter what....

Edited by GBW

So, never bought quality shades before.

Maybe i should.

Does the vendor fit them properly?

We all have different shaped heads.

The style will obviously play into it but speaking from experience, some Maui Jim sunglasses can be adjusted to fit better. They asked me in store when i bought mine if the nose piece or arms needed to be adjusted for a better fit. For me it was not needed but apparently they can do it.... or you can try and do it yourself.

http://www.stewartdelavega.com/p59RADDjY/

Any comments regarding 580P and 580G lens? Costas website suggests the green lens for rivers/in shore fishing, but I've also heard that brown/copper is the more ideal tint to go for fishing in rivers. And most of our bass lakes in Ontario seem to be more on the brown side too.

And how is the weight difference like? I have a pair of polycarbonate and a pair of glass lens (same manufacturer) and there is a noticeable difference in weight. How do Costas compare?

i have the glass 580 lenses frank and i don't have any issue with weight. glass is said to provide superior optics.

i've tried the grey and copper bases and prefer the copper for what we see here in ontario. better all rounder. if i was fishing offshore in the dominican i'd likely want the grey.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but check out Numa Optics. They offer unbreakable models, high quality polycarbonate lenses and fantastic warranties. They will also make your lenses to your prescription.

Warranties are covered under "normal wear and tear".

From their website: " “Normal wear and tear” includes but is not limited to: scaling a cliff face, downhill mountain biking or skiing, parachuting, hiking rugged terrain, dropping your Numas on a hard surface, accidentally stepping or sitting on them, and even letting your toddler play with them."

I wear them and like them better than my H2O's or my Oakleys. Love the glasses, hate their website.

Any comments regarding 580P and 580G lens? Costas website suggests the green lens for rivers/in shore fishing, but I've also heard that brown/copper is the more ideal tint to go for fishing in rivers. And most of our bass lakes in Ontario seem to be more on the brown side too.

And how is the weight difference like? I have a pair of polycarbonate and a pair of glass lens (same manufacturer) and there is a noticeable difference in weight. How do Costas compare?

Glass all the way.

I don't buy plastic lens'.

The optical quality of glass is much, much better.

My glass Costa's are not heavy at all.

And they are very stylish too!!! :tease::tease::tease:

1383410_743267862366222_1421505397_n.jpg

Well I made a descision

I went with Maui Jim's

The highest rated pair on the cabelas website also looked like they were everything I was looking for personally

Local optomotrist that is a Maui dealer ordered the pair I "thought" I wanted with no obligation to buy... Thought that was cool of them

Went in today to check em out and they were perfect so I wore them out the front door...

Maui Jim - World Cup frames with glass bronze lenses

image_45.jpg

Time will tell about the quality but first impression is that they're sweet!

I wore the cheap rapalas for years. Also also bought oakleys and had fake oakleys which I found better quality then my real ones haha. My eyes have been getting worse so I wanted persription sunglasses. I bought these

http://shop.bolle.com/c/sunglasses_view-all_jude

By far the best sunglasses I have ever owned and they look great to.

You bought these and had script put in the frames?

I'm a glasses wearer and just use an "over glasses" pair of polarized glasses. Last time I was in for glasses they told me when you get prescription sunglasses in say Maui Jims they are just a standard lens? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of these fancy glasses if your taking out their high end lenses??

Plus I hate having to carry 2 pairs of prescription glasses to change when it gets dark.