Keeping minnows alive

Acountdeleted

Finally got a day off work to go ice fishing. I figure with TRU being 5 minutes away from my office it makes sense to pick up minnows today and just head straight out tomorrow.

My big thing is, will shiners survive 24 hours in just a bag of water? If no, is there anything I can do to keep them alive longer? It would save me a lot of time tomorrow.

Finally got a day off work to go ice fishing. I figure with TRU being 5 minutes away from my office it makes sense to pick up minnows today and just head straight out tomorrow.

My big thing is, will shiners survive 24 hours in just a bag of water? If no, is there anything I can do to keep them alive longer? It would save me a lot of time tomorrow.

Do you have a minnow pail or something that could serve as 1? Dump them in there with some fresh water and they'll be OK.

The bait places I use have Oxygen tanks and can give the bag a good shot before sealing. We buy 2-3 bags for weekend trips each with enough minnows for a days fishing and open 1 each day. Keep the other bags unopened and sealed. Important to stay cold but not freezing and they'll be good for a couple days.

Buy them from a bait shop that can give them 02 and keep them cool. I have had them stay alive in the bag for at least 16 hours.

And here is another tip. You will have them in your car for the ride. Temp in the water will rise. DO NOT get to your fishing spot and just open the bag and dump them in a pail. Auger a hole and put the bag in the hole for about 15 minutes. This will slowly bring the water back to a cold temp, the minnows will stay alive without being shocked .