road trip ideas

Freshtrax

the last two weeks of June the wife, dog and I will me doing a two week tour of Ontario so far there are a few stops planned we are skipping our normal holiday to the Caribbean to see some of the sights our beautiful province has to offer. we will be using pop up camper for accommodations. I wish there was a direct road to James bay.

manitoulin( we are guests)

lake superior pp. ( mom used to work there)

lake nipigon PP (because i want to)

And lake abitibi ( because we will be guests)

just looking for sugestions of some cool sigts to see allong the way, we will be leaving via Tobermory and ferry to Manitoulin, from there on to the north. coming back the eastern side of province.

I'm sure you already know these but in Tobermory, the grotto in Fathom five national park is amazing. A glass bottom tour to Flowerpot island is worth it, and on the north shore of Lake Huron, Chutes provincal park is a neat little spot to stop for the evening.

If you are going up to Nipigon, it's worth the extra hour drive to see the sleeping giant just outside Thunder Bay. The hike is a little long, but there and Tobermory are two of my favourite places on earth.

Edited by jeremy84

Awesome views of Lake Superior as you travel north of Sault Saint Marie toward Wawa. Sleeping Giant in Thunder Bay is spectacular. If in T.Bay make sure you visit Kakabeka Falls. It's only 20 km outside of the city. They call it Niagara of the North! Keep in mind you'll be crossing the world famous Nipigon River! World class speck fishing in that river.

thanks Chris and Tender, thats why i love this place.....id like to break up the stretch between Nipigon and Iroquois falls anyone know a good spot half way? preferably with good fishing. i have 4x4 dont mind crown land. i would also love to park the trailer and a truck on a beach somewhere along the way for a night.

thanks Chris and Tender, thats why i love this place.....id like to break up the stretch between Nipigon and Iroquois falls anyone know a good spot half way? preferably with good fishing. i have 4x4 dont mind crown land. i would also love to park the trailer and a truck on a beach somewhere along the way for a night.

Long Lake might be worth looking into. Crosses the hwy and apparently excellent fishing.

I was going to mention Kakbeka Falls but I was beat to it. Lake Superior PP is gorgeous. Rushing River PP up Kenora way is also very pretty and there are plenty of spots for walleye up that way. Dogtooth Lake has some BIG walters and gators in it.

Well on your way west take 108 north to Elliot Lake, then 639 to Laurentian Lodge on Flack lake.(http://www.laurentianlodge.com/) The lodge is a beauty place.

After, still go north and come back down on 546. That will bring you out at Iron Bridge.

Rolling mountains, old growth forest with places to stop and cast a spinner. A great drive.

Regards

Well on your way west take 108 north to Elliot Lake, then 639 to Laurentian Lodge on Flack lake.(http://www.laurentianlodge.com/) The lodge is a beauty place.

After, still go north and come back down on 546. That will bring you out at Iron Bridge.

Rolling mountains, old growth forest with places to stop and cast a spinner. A great drive.

Regards

With Elliot lake is it one road in one road out?

hwy 108 in, a short run, new hwy. No problems. Go north it turns into another hwy, #639, and then it goes north, west #546, then back south. All good road.

I don't know about camping though. Lots of critters in the woods now that the spring hunt has been off for years. Elliot Lake does have modern hotels.

Last time I was there we stayed at the Dunlop Lodge. Really should have gone to the Laurentian. They do have boat rentals.

Nothing about the owners of the Dunlop, they had just taken possession and were working hard.

Regards

Believe it or not, my suggestion is to hit Science North in Sudbury, we went there with our sons but it would have been interesting just going as an adult without kids.

And if you can avoid Cochrane................................you know, that place where the Lord would put the hose if he was going to give the Earth an enema..................the Polar Bear park is a gimmick, and the Polar Bear Express to Moosonee/Moose River is mostly a device to relieve gullible first-time travelers from their money...........

Lots of gorgeous country up there.

If you make it to Thunder Bay, one of the best restaurants in this country is there, called the Prospector. Not fancy, just exceptionally good food, unbelievable beef, fresh baked buns, an awesome salad bar, just one of the best places to eat in this country (and I have been from one end to the other). JMOYMV.

Your time limit of two weeks means you will of necessity miss some great stuff, but hopefully it will whet your appetite to go back. Safe travels!

Doug

Yea I've spent allot of time up there as a kid and adolescent. The wife has never been north of Sudbury. I think the schedule is going to go pretty much as follows,

Leave early Kitchener. Stay in lions head night 1

Manitoulin lake kagawong nite 2 and 3

Lake Superior pp. nites 3 4 and 5

Onaman river (nipigon) 4 5 and 6

Flushimi pp 7 and 8

Abitibi 9/10/11

(Top secret trout heaven within 4 hours of Gta 12/13)

Home

:)