Ouch! nf

Big Cliff

Well, the New Year is off to not so good a start. Last Thursday I was in Staples here in Lindsay and slipped on some water in one of the isles and went down rather hard.

The supervisior was wonderful, rushed over got me a chair (it had knocked the wind out of me) she offered to call an ambulance, get me some water.... after a couple of minutes and being allowed to catch my breath I just wanted to finish my shopping and get out of there.

Friday I stopped in just to thank her for her kindness and let her know that short of being a little sore I didn't think there was any serious damage, she seemed very relieved!

Saturday I was coming out of my garage and I was suddenly on the ground, I had no idea what had happened it was all so fast. At first I thought I must have slipped, I managed to get myself back up onto my feet, went to take a step and I was back on the ground again, it's like my leg wasn't there. Fortunatly I had a couple of friends here and they helped me get back to the house.

Sunday morning my knee was throbbing and I was afraid to even try to walk on it, when it had given out on Saturday there was no warning what so ever, it just buckled. (an old fat guy like me falling down isn't a pretty sight) I did manage to find an old cane we had here from years ago so I hobbled out to the car and drove my self to the hospital.

They checked me out, did xrays, The Dr. said it looks like the tendons in my knee are torn and they need to do an MRI to determine what the next step is. They fitted fitted me with a leg brace (then told me I can't drive with it on) and sent me home.

The worst part of the whole thing is prior to falling on the ground there was no pain or anything to indicate there was even a problem. Even now, the pain isn't really bad but I am almost scared to walk for fear that knee is just going to buckle again.

What a good way to start off 2016 :whistling:

Edited by Big Cliff

if you find you are out of any pocket expenses due to your fall at Staples, and want some assistance getting it back, let me know.

You are a good man and I don't expect you to try and sue frivolously, however, you are due any medical expenses, or if you need to take any extra transportation, or if you have any extra med costs as a result.

That is why these companies have insurance.

PM me if you want any assistance with this (I work in commercial insurance and can provide some advice how to get compensation without a major "to do").

another thought.

Staples is not a grocery store (where it is somewhat common to have wet floors).

A store like Staples should never have water on the floor.....

Increased negligence on the part of Staples if trip and fall was a result of water on the floor.

Welcome to my club old friend...My right leg kinda gave out on me a couple of years ago or so...I had to remember to lead with my left leg going up and down the back stairs...When my bro-in-law Gord heard about my third fall he rushed up here from Oshawa and built me a bannister to hold on to...Haven't fallen since...LOL

Gord Mitchell's Handiwork.jpg

It will still be standing after the back porch falls down it is that sturdy...

Sorry to hear that Cliff. If you need a hand with anything, dont be afraid to ask!!!!

Take care of yourself!

S.

Thank you for that very kind offer, I ended up getting a knee brace today and while it is uncomfortable at least I can get around now without the fear of stepping off into nothing. I even managed to get out and clear the bit of snow that was on the deck. I should be ok.

if you find you are out of any pocket expenses due to your fall at Staples, and want some assistance getting it back, let me know.

You are a good man and I don't expect you to try and sue frivolously, however, you are due any medical expenses, or if you need to take any extra transportation, or if you have any extra med costs as a result.

That is why these companies have insurance.

PM me if you want any assistance with this (I work in commercial insurance and can provide some advice how to get compensation without a major "to do").

I wasn't thinking of suing them at all but I am out of pocket almost $200.00 already with the cost of parking at the hospital, the knee brace......, I went to see my Dr. this morning and she is refering me for Physiotherepy (I don't have coverage) and to see an orthpedic surgen. We'll see where all of this goes and I may ask them to cover my out of pocket expenses.

I'm sad to hear of your health issue. I hope you get well soon. My biggest fear is how are you going to get in & out of your boat? LOL!

Easy at this point, fall in, fall out :whistling:

another thought.

Staples is not a grocery store (where it is somewhat common to have wet floors).

A store like Staples should never have water on the floor.....

Increased negligence on the part of Staples if trip and fall was a result of water on the floor.

When it happened I was following one of their young sales people down the isle and suddenly I was on the floor. Once they got me a chair and I caught my breath I showed the supervisor the string of puddles on the floor and you could even see the one I had steped on as it was smeared. She went and got signs and put them up right away then went looking for a mop. Someone had obviously walked down the isle with slush on their boots. I don't know if you could call that negligence on Staples part?

Hope you feel better soon Cliff, I'd pay them a visit and explain what a happened next. Justa thought.

BTW Yes, MRIs take a while to be had.

Hospital just called, MRI Feb. 1 plus I am on the list if there is a cancelation. That's not so bad I guess.

keep track of all the out of pocket expenses you have, staples will pay them without even using insurance...

if the costs are less than 1K or 2K, they will just pay them.

They will have video of your fall. Their risk management team will have already reviewed the footage (standard risk management protocol).

you didn't sign anything at staples did you? (waiver, release, etc)

No, no one asked me to sign anything. Never thought about them having a vidio of it, I'd love to see that one because I know I did some awesom aerobatics on the way down LOL. All I could think of was not hitting my head. I was pretty shook up at the time and almost embarrased by the whole thing.

Well, you still have your head on straight (which is evident by the rational approach you have taken to this).

Take some rest and let me know if I can help in any way.

For every 10 people that trip and fall, only one or two aren't looking for fast payouts (which is the group you belong to).

Be well Sir.

There's good news Cliff, you are bearing weight on that knee. If it indeed was a torn Patella tendon you would be in excruciating pain, even any other tear of soft tissue or ligament and your knee is the size of a football today and it would hurt, badly. I think you can go back into the game.

Good news on the MRI Cliff...I assume it is at Ross Memorial? I had both knees done on the same day last May at Ross (just scoped and cleaned out) but the pre operation procedure at Ross from the day of the MRI's to the operation was excellent. Nurses and Technicians are very knowledgeable and caring. I did not need to wait long for the MRI's as well. Just over a month if I recall correctly.

Hopefully you have only strained it and physio will make it better.

Less than a month for an MRI is terrific...I waited three months in Richmond Hill and another year or more for my back operation...

Hope it is not serious...

There used to be a phisio place on Lindsay Street just south of Kent on the west side...can't remember the name (it's me age...don't you know) but they were still covered by OHIP (grandfathered) 10 years ago...

Edited by Beans