Homebrew anyone? Nf

Freshtrax

I started making my own beer have made 5 batches now and there damn good. Any one else do it? Care to share your favourites? My best so far was a montons pale ale, with some medium spray malt some extra sugar and dry hopped with 1 oz of cascade , Tastes identical to Muskoka breweries detour. I want to get into all grain brewing in the spring. Also if any one has a vintage fridge around I'm looking to convert one into a keg fridge. Also looking for some "soda kegs" or ball lock kegs

Edited by Freshtrax

I have helped my Dad make copious barrels of wine for around 50 years until he and all the Compare found out a 20 liter pale cam miraculously become good vino on the ride home for cheap. We tried the Beer thing only once. When we opened the first bottle it smelled like a Skunk went off and my Ma could smell it one floor up immediately and made us take the entire batch out of her home.

The oldtimers 2 golden rules.

1) Never let a woman near the wine when it is fermenting that is, has recently or will be menstruating soon.

2) See rule 1.

I don't know if it applies to beer as well but I would heed those words as there probably has some scientific merit. There are many other rules that I have heard discussed calmly with much diplomacy in those 5 decades in as far as a dozen old timers from the boot are able to. I do remember gunshots once but they were only warning shots. That was over Full Moons vs. Crescent Moons during the harvest of the Grape.

I learned as a grunt labourer helping dad lift 12 gal carboys when he was racking and bottling his wine. Never did wine on my own but did beer for quite a few years. Always used the Brew Canada Kits and had a 12 gal primary fermenter, that would be 2 kits as a single batch. As I recall I would do 5-7 days in the primary fermenter and then rack it off into 2 X 23 litre carboys for 2-3 weeks before bottling. Some guys did not do the 2 stage beer making, I much preferred my beer to theirs.

I have helped my Dad make copious barrels of wine for around 50 years until he and all the Compare found out a 20 liter pale cam miraculously become good vino on the ride home for cheap. We tried the Beer thing only once. When we opened the first bottle it smelled like a Skunk went off and my Ma could smell it one floor up immediately and made us take the entire batch out of her home.

The oldtimers 2 golden rules.

1) Never let a woman near the wine when it is fermenting that is, has recently or will be menstruating soon.

2) See rule 1.

I don't know if it applies to beer as well but I would heed those words as there probably has some scientific merit. There are many other rules that I have heard discussed calmly with much diplomacy in those 5 decades in as far as a dozen old timers from the boot are able to. I do remember gunshots once but they were only warning shots. That was over Full Moons vs. Crescent Moons during the harvest of the Grape.

Funny you mention that, my Mom always said that when making pickled beets and pickles.

I put down 180 bottles of wine in 013 and good thing I did because we haven't had grapes since. My grapes are table or jelly grape so the wine has a grape taste not ready for VQA.

I did strawberry wine, it was awful. The big black raspberries turned out very sweet so I blend it with the grape wine. And I do an elderberry wine. Elderberry wine is usually a grape wine flavored with a few dried elderberries but I do it with a few lbs of berries same as i would grapes. It turns out awfully strong taste but it is the cure for the common cold.

Due to no grapes for the last 2 years its time to make beer if I ever get around to it. My bud says the problem with making beer is you drink a lot of beer.

I learned as a grunt labourer helping dad lift 12 gal carboys when he was racking and bottling his wine. Never did wine on my own but did beer for quite a few years. Always used the Brew Canada Kits and had a 12 gal primary fermenter, that would be 2 kits as a single batch. As I recall I would do 5-7 days in the primary fermenter and then rack it off into 2 X 23 litre carboys for 2-3 weeks before bottling. Some guys did not do the 2 stage beer making, I much preferred my beer to theirs.

yes i do 5 days in primary and 7 in seccondary and thats when i throw the hops in. the fist batch i did not rack over and it had an off taste.

I intent to grow some hops in the next few years and see if I can supply a local brewer. Maybe I'll get into home brewing at that time.

Muskoka Detour is pretty good, not a bad beer to model your own against.

thats cool, are they hard to grow? yea i love a slightly hopped beer not a huge fan of the doubble ipa"s and stuff

Edited by Freshtrax

Used to make Czech Pilsner at the home brew place . Tasted great seemed to go silty in the bottom of the bottles though?

I never drank the basement brew from the bottle but had a row of heavy glass mugs in the freezer door, pouring carefully to leave the trace of yeast from the carbonating sugar in the bottle.

Many people call the brew on premises places homebrew scuro2...or Mr Beer kits etc. Probably that's what you've been exposed to, or you simply prefer a Budweiser or a Molson Canadian over a craft beer?

If you do enjoy a craft beer, from a hoppy beer such as Mad Tom to a high end Stout like Kate the Great then all these high end beers can be made at home by a decent AG brewer.

I make a Pliny the Elder clone people try to buy after tasting....and a porter that has won awards.

My neighbor makes home brew.. His fav is a lager The beer itself is nice but he does whats called bottle carbing and its nasty. The yeast sediment at the bottom of every bottle makes me want to vomit. He finally bought a keg setup and is in the process of learning to use it..Cant wait to try it..

My neighbor makes home brew.. His fav is a lager The beer itself is nice but he does whats called bottle carbing and its nasty. The yeast sediment at the bottom of every bottle makes me want to vomit. He finally bought a keg setup and is in the process of learning to use it..Cant wait to try it..

You don't drink homebrew from the bottle, see my post a few back.