Hydro bill. Nf

mr blizzard

That's incredibly low. What are the details of your home and what is running off gas/propane/oil vs hydro

1000sq/ft upstairs and basement. Added 3/4" styrofoam insulation before recladding with vinyl. Attic got another 8-10 inches of blown in insulation. High efficiency furnace, hot water, gas dryer and 440 sq/ft detached garage all on NG. BBQ is NG but that doesn't take much. Just about all bulbs in the house are LED. Counter top stove is 1/2 induction 1/2 radiant although we rarely ever use the radiant side. I think the biggest saving was switching the dryer to gas, the electric bill dropped by about 30%.

I would have to say last winter being by far the coldest I can ever remember in the houe, hydro jumped to about $120 for 2 months, but the furnace was really running and I had the truck plugged in a lot.

Edited by Fisherman

2 people, 1300' high rise its 2 levels so that really doubles, plus a 24x26 shop thats 68 degrees all winter

electric is 75, gas 88, sewer/water 40, no equal billing thats this month, gas goes to 160 in the coldest months..actually. I think thats not bad

I heat this place cheaper with gas than my last place with wood

hot water is gas on demand

Edited by Dara

1000sq/ft upstairs and basement. Added 3/4" styrofoam insulation before recladding with vinyl. Attic got another 8-10 inches of blown in insulation. High efficiency furnace, hot water, gas dryer and 440 sq/ft detached garage all on NG. BBQ is NG but that doesn't take much. Just about all bulbs in the house are LED. Counter top stove is 1/2 induction 1/2 radiant although we rarely ever use the radiant side. I think the biggest saving was switching the dryer to gas, the electric bill dropped by about 30%.

I would have to say last winter being by far the coldest I can ever remember in the houe, hydro jumped to about $120 for 2 months, but the furnace was really running and I had the truck plugged in a lot.

Thanks for sharing that.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your NG bill like? Our dryer and hot water tank are hydro and nearing end of life. I will likely replace with NG units if the cost to retrofit is not too significant. Our furnace and cooking stove are already NG so during the summer months we hardly use any NG yet still pay 20 a month for the privilege of being an enbridge customer. May as well shift some of our electricity consumption to lower cost gas.

My last bill for a two month period was $620.00!

2400 sq ft house, gas furnace, gas water heater, gas bbq...

That bill included Sept billing, which includes running a 1 1/2 hp pump for the pool 24x7 for the month.

Can't wait for the next bill as it will include the rate hike that became effective Nov 1.

HH

I don't know what any of you has to complain about. We have a 640 sq. foot one floor cottage in Bobcaygeon that is all electric. We have winter tennants and some monthly hydro bills in the winter get close to $700 :wallbash:

Say what??? Time to check your insulation, bud.

That hydro is going somewhere.

S.

$75 for electricity, amazing you guys can get through a month on less than 250KWH ! Camp in Temagami is $36.78/month for the joy of being hooked to the line. ZERO power usage and panel disconnect is pulled.

If a tree falls on the line in winter, they still have to fix it.

Unless you want to keep a fridge running when you aren't there. I would be going 2000W Honda generator

It's those darn grow lights they use to grow their "tomato" plants Steve.

Our place is 1500 sq ft on two levels, raised bungalow. Propane kitchen range, hot water heater, furnace, and fire place. We have friends staying with us so 4 adults, our average monthly hydro bill is about $184.00/ month

Cliff, do you mind if I ask how much your delivery charges are compared with your usage? I know we live in relatively the same area and I have always shook my head at our bills. I see that you use propane for your stove and hot water, which is probably why your bills are lower than mine.

Insulation and air leakage makes a huge difference.

My last house was built in the 80's and this one is new...big difference in drafts and I have an air exchanger so windows really don't get opened...you can feel that the place holds heat, and my shop is insulated and built the same as the house

I'm not really feeling very well but, thinking about my hydro bill would only make me feel worse...LOL

What bugs me is they tell you all the ways you can save electricity and money and then turn around and raise the rates so that we end up paying more for less...BANDITS !!!

Two seniors living in a 2 story 2200 square foot home in Ottawa. Average electricity bill over last 10 months was $90. Average consumption over those 10 months was 550 kWh. Electric clothes dryer, electric stove, two frigs, one freezer, etc. High efficiency furnace and hot water tank are natural gas. My average monthly total cost of natural gas consumption for the same 10 months was $101. Average monthly cost for actual natural gas used was $31. The disturbing fact for me is that the Ontario Energy Board claims to be looking after my best interests.

Say what??? Time to check your insulation, bud.

That hydro is going somewhere.

S.

I know what needs addressed my friend. However now that it is mortgage free our winter tenants cover all our expenses....taxes...everything. So the place is literally free for us to use so I'm not in any kind of a hurry to throw $$$$ at it.

If we decide to move in up there full time when we retire things will change and $$$ will be spent. However the plan now is to keep using it for "free" and keep winter tenants every year and maybe go south for awhile each winter if we feel like getting away...or more accurately if the boss can convince me to give ice fishing a rest once in a while :w00t:

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Thanks for sharing that.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your NG bill like? Our dryer and hot water tank are hydro and nearing end of life. I will likely replace with NG units if the cost to retrofit is not too significant. Our furnace and cooking stove are already NG so during the summer months we hardly use any NG yet still pay 20 a month for the privilege of being an enbridge customer. May as well shift some of our electricity consumption to lower cost gas.

For the past year to date, $875, a high of $149 in March and a low of $30 in September or roughly $72 if I did equal billing.

Residental - Low density.

Delivery - $35.92

Regulatory Charges - 0.25

HST $4.70

10% Clean energy benefit less $4.09

Invoice $36.78

Power usage ZERO.

The only saving grace for me up there... is they've tried 3 smart meters now. Too much rock in the way for it to record, so we're only paying 9.4cents per KWH if and when we do use it!

Edited by irishfield

Mid sized house. Propane cooking and hot water. Wood heat. Average is $120/Mth. My delivery charge is 67 + hst + debt fee. My actual usage last month was 28$

X2 but mine varies from $125-140 in winter. I was away all summer at the camp and only my firdge and feezer were on. With delivery charges and usage the bill was $85 every month so that's the lowest I could ever hope for. I just moved to a rural house and the delivery charges are much higher in the country compared to in the city.