Best mosquito repellent?

kickingfrog

This is an easy one. Watkins cream. Except no substitutions.

This is from 3 years tree planting in Hearst Ontario. The only thing that worked.

And you couldn't get me to trade it for a good bar of the same weight on some days.

I agree with Jeremy, in fact I have 3 bottles in my cupboard in my washroom, You can find it at most Canadian Tires although it is under the name "The great Outdoors" now but Watkins is still on the label

Jeremy forgot to mention to get it in lotion form

IMG_20151116_214927.jpg

Edited by DynamicBear

This is an easy one. Watkins cream. Except no substitutions.

This is from 3 years tree planting in Hearst Ontario. The only thing that worked.

And you couldn't get me to trade it for a good bar of the same weight on some days.

A fellow tree planter eh...

I planted in fort Francis/ Kenora area...

And I agree... Watkins lotion was by far the best...

brand name is Combat,100% deet,a couple drops and nothing comes near you and I have tried Watkins,cant compare to the Combat.

I agree. Huge difference between 28% and 98% deet. I recently got 4 bottles from the states. Repel 100 and Maxi Deet. I'm good for a long time now. Just have to be careful around plastics with that stuff.

Cheers

There is a good reason deet works so well, its friggen toxic.

Might as give yourself a blast of agent orange while your at it

As a kid we swore by stuff called 6-12 think it was made by Union Carbide, worked great until they found it caused birth defects and all sorts of nasty stuff. taken off the market.

Ah I think that might be the stuff I found in my grandpas old tackle box.

Did it come in a small glass jar?

yes , usually glass with a yellow and blue label

https://www.google.ca/search?q=6-12+mosquito+repellent&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=643&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIo8azwfyXyQIViTweCh3y6Q6y#tbm=isch&q=6-12+insect+repellent

Yep thats the stuff!

Smelled horrid(mind you i dont know how long it was sitting in there? Im guessing late 50's early 60s)

Place deet anywhere except exposed skin. Works like a champ and you will not have to worry about how toxic it is.

Art

Thats better then directly on the skin but some WILL still reach the derma and penetrate.

A t shirt for example is just fabric, an amount of the spray will go right through it.

More will come as you sweat, say on a hot day.

Yep thats the stuff!

Smelled horrid(mind you i dont know how long it was sitting in there? Im guessing late 50's early 60s)

that would be the time frame I used it, another that worked but don't see it mentioned much anymore was " Muskol " think it was deet based.

Victoria's secret perfume as good as DEET?

From the Smithsonian:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/victorias-secret-perfume-works-great-mosquito-repellent-180957270/?no-ist

Anybody who comes home from a fishin' trip smelling like Victoria's Secret perfume deserves whatever he gets.

years ago people used to swear by Avon Skin So Soft, not the first time a women's product has been used, I sure that Victoria's stuff would be too pricey

Edited by dave524