Dilemma - I Ran Over a Cat (in my driveway)

Pikeslayer

About 40 minutes ago, I accidentally ran over a cat while backing up my driveway to the rear parking pad (big blind spot between back of the house, parking & garage).

So, here's my dilemma & would be appreciative of some feedback or votes. After careful thought, I think I have it down to the following options (BTW, not a big cat, maybe 6/7 lbs tops)

a: bury it 3 ft under with the other 'unfortunates'?

b: attempt to locate owner??

I'm definitely leaning to plan a.

"try to be a better man" and find the owners, tell the truth, give them closure

No doubt Chris. Challenge is, I know of three common cats from my immediate neighbours & it's none of theirs for sure. It's now dark & I don't think unknown neighbours would appreciate a random knock on the door. Further, I live right on credit valley & we get our fair share of wildlife scavengers. Can't leave the cat exposed??

by the sounds of it, no collar or tag, not too many people follow municipal cat licencing...my family never did, but we had indoor cats

it's definitely not your fault, but the closure for the family/possibly a kid is a decent thing to do

I had to return a dog on boxing day, that was rough watching 4 kids cry their guts out, but still better than leaving it roadside...

No doubt Chris. Challenge is, I know of three common cats from my immediate neighbours & it's none of theirs for sure. It's now dark & I don't think unknown neighbours would appreciate a random knock on the door. Further, I live right on credit valley & we get our fair share of wildlife scavengers. Can't leave the cat exposed??

Just leave it in the road on your way to work tomorrow!!!

Someone will find it. :whistling:

Now it it was a dog......

Full page ads in all the newspapers, tv and radio spots........ :angel:

I had to return a dog on boxing day, that was rough watching 4 kids cry their guts out, but still better than leaving it roadside...

that's what I would do, and as a pet owner I hope others would do the same for me, closure

Edited by chris.brock

possible the cat was chipped so taking it to animal control or humane society would be your best bet. and yes, there might be a family looking for closure. I have a friend whose dog has been missing for a week and change, she's still hopeful but she's realistic. she'd want to know either way

Put cat in bag, call animal control and report description and have them pick up the cat. If the owner is concerned about the cats whearbouts they will likely call animal control, if its a stray then thats the end of the story.

So, after a couple of drams of highland with my neighbour lawyer & with due consideration of the fact I would potentially admit that I ran over said owners beloved pet on my personal property, we decided on Porkpie's suggestion with a twist. I relocated the cat curbside on the nearest municipal intersection & called Animal Control. They filed a dispatch (non priority) for animal pick up. As PP suggested, if an owner filed a missing animal report, 'closure' will happen. If not, likely a feral/stray?

About 40 minutes ago, I accidentally ran over a cat while backing up my driveway to the rear parking pad (big blind spot between back of the house, parking & garage).

So, here's my dilemma & would be appreciative of some feedback or votes. After careful thought, I think I have it down to the following options (BTW, not a big cat, maybe 6/7 lbs tops)

a: bury it 3 ft under with the other 'unfortunates'?

b: attempt to locate owner??

I'm definitely leaning to plan a.

Use it for Muskie bait?

So, after a couple of drams of highland with my neighbour lawyer & with due consideration of the fact I would potentially admit that I ran over said owners beloved pet on my personal property, we decided on Porkpie's suggestion with a twist. I relocated the cat curbside on the nearest municipal intersection & called Animal Control. They filed a dispatch (non priority) for animal pick up. As PP suggested, if an owner filed a missing animal report, 'closure' will happen. If not, likely a feral/stray?

Sounds like the best solution to me.

By all means I like the suggestion to locate the owner. I had a cat once, she was the sweetest calico cat once she learned to trust me. She hated being inside because she was born wild. She would follow me all over the house and around the property just like a dog. And she was 8 lbs of whoop- ass on my lab. She used to love to sleep on my boat. One day she came up missing and I know that's on me but I really do wish I knew what happened to her.

easiest solution is to call animal services. maybe not as elaborately as you did, but knowing/assuming your lawyer-neighbour's mentality, you may face a lawsuit.

At my house my wife insisted on installing a dog door because we're usually away from home ~10 hrs every day and that's too long to keep the dog cooped up inside. But a side effect of this is the cat is always outside and can easily escape the back yard. She's definitely not the only cat to roam the neighbourhood, although I don't think she goes much farther than the front yard or the long grass area behind the parking lot next door to hunt. I have a love hate relationship with this cat (mostly because it's a cat) and I'd be very upset if it was killed or ran over. But I would have a tough time blaming whoever did it, because as you found out (and I already know) cats are idiots and seemingly not smart enough to get out of the way when a car is rolling towards them. My wife, on the other hand... I probably would cover it up before she found out and tell her it ran away, just to save the headache.

Just leave it in the road on your way to work tomorrow!!!

Someone will find it. :whistling:

Now it it was a dog......

Full page ads in all the newspapers, tv and radio spots........ :angel:

So politically incorrect but you made me laugh. LOL!

Glad to hear the issue was resolved.