An open letter to Justin

Big Cliff

It's this kind of thinking, always blaming others that will hold down most of the population down while others have that twinkle in the eye and the energy to be a better citizen, father, wife or neighbor through hard work.

I will tell you one thing, the poverty population will continue to grow because now we have treated them like a separate community by giving them everything they need and want instead of saying NO work for it. All these different charities are actually harming them more then helping them and now it's out of control. You can't go anywhere without someone asking for another donation. It's sad.

Nope.

We work harder for less, and pay more for less. If you don't think income inequality is real, and a threat to our way of life, you're in for a rude awakening one day. Most governments in the world and also the UN publicly acknowledge income inequality as a serious issue.

We are kept with just enough food in our belly that we won't rise up and have our own "arab spring". Most of the world has little to no chance of ever getting out of poverty no matter how hard they work. There is nothing more dangerous than men with nothing left to lose.

You don't have to agree with me, I'm not even trying to change your mind. It's not worth my energy on which I get no "return on investment". I'm also not blaming anyone for my situation. I'm lucky enough to be born here and despite some hardship in life I have more than most in the world.

I'm just telling it like I see it.

Edited by Dutch01

Sadly, all PM's for last 40 years have been too afraid to do what needs to be done. If it wasn't a historical building we could rip it down and put up a damn fine replacement for a couple million.... Since it is a historical building all the work has to be done WITHOUT changing the appearance or destroying the heritage. Work on historical buildings is NEVER cheap because the materials aren't readily available at home depot and the workers with the skills to replicate how things used to be done won't work for free.

24 Sussex it isn't just a home for the Prime Minister, it is our White House or 10 Downing Street, where Canada's leader is supposed to represent our great country to other world and business leaders. It doesn't leave a good impression to have rain water dripping into the guests soup during a formal dinner.

The U.S. went through this in 49 when Truman was forced to move out of the White House and a 55+ million dollar renovation, in today's dollars was done. Here is a link to some images from that project.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=truman+white+house+reconstruction&espv=2&biw=1180&bih=510&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCKvexrSG6MgCFcEmHgod4g8Jww

They went through it in 1812 when we burnt the white house down too :whistling:

Nope.

We work harder for less, and pay more for less. If you don't think income inequality is real, and a threat to our way of life, you're in for a rude awakening one day. Most governments in the world and also the UN publicly acknowledge income inequality as a serious issue.

We are kept with just enough food in our belly that we won't rise up and have our own "arab spring". Most of the world has little to no chance of ever getting out of poverty no matter how hard they work. There is nothing more dangerous than men with nothing left to lose.

You don't have to agree with me, I'm not even trying to change your mind. It's not worth my energy on which I get no "return on investment". I'm also not blaming anyone for my situation. I'm lucky enough to be born here and despite some hardship in life I have more than most in the world.

I'm just telling it like I see it.

You sound like most Liberals and Unions........DOOM and GLOOM because without DOOM and GLOOM there is no need for either one of those organizations and that's why they will never stop preaching DOOM and GLOOM.

I feel sorry for all those who fall for the DOOM and GLOOM sermons as they never really find happiness.

You sound like most Liberals and Unions........DOOM and GLOOM because without DOOM and GLOOM there is no need for either one of those organizations and that's why they will never stop preaching DOOM and GLOOM.

I feel sorry for all those who fall for the DOOM and GLOOM sermons as they never really find happiness.

Off base again. Neither Liberal, nor part of a union. Harper was the guy threatening doom and gloom. He was trying to make people shut up and take it out of fear.

It was Trudeau that was trying to sell hope.

Mister G, on 29 Oct 2015 - 12:01 PM, said:snapback.png

I could never understand why some people are jealous of what others make for a living (the 1%).

Instead of being envious of them why not do whatever it takes to raise your own standard of living. It's all a matter of choices in life........some decided to not further their education after high school and smoke dope for a pastime while others looked further into the future and wanted a better life then their parents. I say GOOD FOR THEM.

:clapping::good: X2

I donno..

I think about people like ...Steve Jobs, Mr Branson

Paul macartny....Snoop dog :)

Carl Sagan, jay Gould the kind who sat around all the time............. and got high.

Wow, where to begin with this one (I intend no offense if it seems like I'm singling you out here)....

This is......I'm not even sure how to respond to this. I have advocated for a society that a. allows responsible adults freedom of choice, where that choice does not infringe on the rights of others and b. holds individual adults responsible for their decisions - as opposed to holding us collectively to the lowest standard of the least responsible among us. I'm not sure how you make the leap from that to a wild west anarchy with shootouts to solve disagreements. Maybe I'm missing something here.... Having said that, the status quo requires me to deal with criminals in order to obtain my marijuana, so it's much more likely I will be shot now under a prohibitionist regime, than under the society I envision and advocate for.

What I propose is not only possible, but the minimum standard that we should all aspire to.

I called them losers because it was expedient, which does not make it right. I am a Child and Youth Worker by training (though I do not work in that field any longer). I have education and experience in developmental psychology and addictions counselling, so I believe I am qualified to speak on this subject. I didn't intend to disparage people who are down on their luck, and to anyone offended I apologize unreservedly. I was illustrating the point that if marijuana didn't exist, it is likely these people would be in the exact same life situation, only with a different drug of choice. In any case, because the adults in this example act irresponsibly, why should I be included in a collective sanction? Can you please quantify and qualify the manner and degree to which you believe legalization will "damage society"? I'm looking for arguments with citations here, not anecdotes.

Who best to determine need? Drug companies with profits to earn? No thank you. I am the best person to make decisions in my life that affect no one else.

Thank you, I appreciate that (sincerely). If this place doesn't exist then I guess I will have to redouble my efforts to make it so! I am still struggling to understand why anyone believes they have the right to make my choices for me. I can argue relative harm all day (and cite sources too), and I can at least understand where people are coming from. But as soon as I move past relative harm to individual liberty (the more relevant argument in my mind), I'm suddenly trying to foment revolution and anarchy ?!?!? How many of you on this site like being told what to do and how to live? I'm guessing none. If I was a vegetarian and attempting to force the government to ban hunting and meat eating, I would be roundly vilified (and rightly so). I am not asking anyone to change their life in any way - I don't want anyone to take up smoking, I'm not asking to smoke in front of children at a park, I'm not even asking people to like weed. I am asking them to let me make my own choices, lest I get the idea I can start making theirs for them (t!t for tat!).

I Think we both want the same thing for the most part just my travel is along a different path. I grew up on a different line of thinking down here in the USA and it just won't let me grasp the way you think on some matters. I am good with that though your path just might work. I am sure with a few beers or joints for you and an afternoon of fishing we both could walk away happy.

Art

The 1 % are the people to aspire to not the people to hate on. Along my path I had the choices to spend my money or save and make it work for me. I chose not to spend and to not have new cars when I was young. I chose to buy houses and invest in my future. I chose not to spend money on alcohol and pot or exotic vacations so when I reached 50 I am financially secure and I now have the cars and the trips and any thing else I want. I may not be a 1% but I am always talking to them for advise on how I can get there. I did not have old money to help me it is all about how bad do you want it. What will you give up to make it. I tell everyone you can be as great as you want to work to be. A few members here have overcome major(unplanned medical expenses for one) financial burdens and every time they get low on money they busted their butts to get back on the plus side of money and they did it with a smile. To those people hats off you are a shining example of the meaning of "pick yourself up by your boot straps".

Art

The 1 % are the people to aspire to not the people to hate on. Along my path I had the choices to spend my money or save and make it work for me. I chose not to spend and to not have new cars when I was young. I chose to buy houses and invest in my future. I chose not to spend money on alcohol and pot or exotic vacations so when I reached 50 I am financially secure and I now have the cars and the trips and any thing else I want. I may not be a 1% but I am always talking to them for advise on how I can get there. I did not have old money to help me it is all about how bad do you want it. What will you give up to make it. I tell everyone you can be as great as you want to work to be. A few members here have overcome major(unplanned medical expenses for one) financial burdens and every time they get low on money they busted their butts to get back on the plus side of money and they did it with a smile. To those people hats off you are a shining example of the meaning of "pick yourself up by your boot straps".

Art

Art, there's nothing wrong with your way of thinking. I value a good work ethic as much as anyone else. What I have in my life, I have because I worked for it.

The real 1% are mostly unknowns, who have family money and pull strings out of the public eye. They buy politicians and have them enact laws to make them more money off of you, and prevent you from every becoming a threat to them. They hire the best mathematicians out of uni to write algorithms, build high frequency trading hubs on internet backbone to gain fractions of a second, then sit back and collect fraction of a penny pet transaction on millions of transactions. While your stocks tank, they make billions. It's a scam, and we're the marks. They use loopholes in International regulations to pay little to no tax. Before you try to call me out on that, Warren Buffet is on record saying he pays less tax than his secretary. If you aren't in this club already, you are more likely to step foot on the moon than ever join it.

We are supposed to have a level playing field so everyone has an equal chance. This is a myth in this day and age.

EDIT: all right, I admit I went on a bit of a rant there ;)

Edited by Dutch01

EDIT: all right, I admit I went on a bit of a rant there ;)

You did rant, but the part about Warren Buffet is true (although he pays less per dollar of income than his secretary). Hiding your money in all sorts of places, in the market, overseas, in shell companies, etc. It's a legal racket. And anyone who thinks they can attain that status with pure gumption and strong boot straps have truly drank the koolaid.

Edited by netminder

This is your post.............

"Are you saying anyone who isn't 1% is lazy and entitled? That's a pretty broad brush there....

I'm pretty sure you are indeed saying that.

Ever heard of if/then? (as in IF you are saying that, THEN that is a broad brush)

I asked a question, and you answered with a question, since we're nitpicking.....

Edited by Dutch01

Ever heard of if/then? (as in IF you are saying that, THEN that is a broad brush)

I asked a question, and you answered with a question, since we're nitpicking.....

I can only read what you post and I did not see then or now the words "if/then" in the quote you posted. And then you make the statement "That's a pretty broad brush there".......So I took your words as you wrote them to a post that was not to you to begin with.

I can only read what you post and I did not see then or now the words "if/then" in the quote you posted. And then you make the statement "That's a pretty broad brush there".......So I took your words as you wrote them to a post that was not to you to begin with.

First of all, you replied to me, and BillM replied to you. That makes me part of the conversation. You don't get to jump in on a thread and then say to me "i wasnt talking to you"

Second, you still haven't answered the question.

You said:

"It's all a matter of choices in life", the inference I take from that is you believe people choose to be poor. I say it's not that simple.

" by giving them everything they need and want instead of saying NO work for itl", the implications here is if someone is poor, it's their own fault. After all, they could have just worked for it.

"Just like lazy and entitled breeds lazy and entitled ? ? ?". This statement was made I the middle of a discussion about income inequality. It's far from unreasonable for me to infer that you are calling poor people lazy and entitled. So yes, I did ask that question and no, you don't answer it.

I don't know if you live in Canada or the U.S., but in either case you were lucky enough to find yourself in a place where even the poorest have more than most of the rest of the world. It wasn't ONLY hard work that brought you any success, it was also random happenstance. Because if you lived in Syria, Sudan, Sri Lanka, or Yemen (just to name a few examples), you'd be lucky to be alive, and your best chance of upward mobility would be to become a good bomb maker (they're on demand right now). I find the lack of compassion for other human beings I read in your posts unsettling. I hope I'm just wrong about you.

Edited by Dutch01

Dutch No a level playing field is not guaranteed anywhere. If I give 100 people 100 dollars and put them in a closed economy after 48 hours you will have some with nothing and a few with lots of money there is no crime to that. Some people have the ability to make advantages and then work them into profit . It is a mind frame not everyone can be rich or become rich if it was so easy it would not have any value. The good news is not everyone wants to be rich they are perfectly happy with what they have.

Hiding money legally is not a crime using offshore accounts , investments and write offs are available to everyone. Knowledge is power in the right hands to others it is something to rant about.

Art