Satellite Cable

Meely

The previous owner of my house had a TV antenna (which he took with him) on the roof with a cable that led to the living room (the cable is still there). I would like to put up a sat dish. Does anyone know if I can use the old antenna cable/wire to carry the new Sat signal or do I have to run a new wire/cable specifically for satellite?

Thanks!

Meely

If it is coaxial cable there should be no problem. It would be round about the size of a pencil (same size as what came with the receiver) the connector would screw right on to the back of the box.

Edited by Big Cliff

Pretty sure it should be an RG-6 cable - should be printed on the cable itself. Just phone the satellite service you're thinking of using and check with them. I'd let them worry about the install - they've got all the toys to set it up and a van load of stuff to do it. They used to give enough programming credits to offset the install cost, not sure how they do it now.

Michael

After 15 years of Bell Satellite and 5/1 DSL service , we made the switch to Bells Fiber , ended up being cheaper even after the promo period and the internet is 25 down and the tv is slightly better image wise, plus it don't go out in heavy precipitation and wet snow don't stick to the dish anymore. Personally , after having played with Kodi or Netflix on a good high speed connection I'd put an antenna back up for local and forget about sat or cable. Unfortunately if you are like us and like your sports , I've not found satisfactory feeds over the net, both in quality and consistency for games.

Pretty sure it should be an RG-6 cable - should be printed on the cable itself. Just phone the satellite service you're thinking of using and check with them. I'd let them worry about the install - they've got all the toys to set it up and a van load of stuff to do it. They used to give enough programming credits to offset the install cost, not sure how they do it now.

Michael

Yes you do. Too much loss with regular RG-59 cable.

RG-59 is the regular cable they use for cable TV.

After 15 years of Bell Satellite and 5/1 DSL service , we made the switch to Bells Fiber , ended up being cheaper even after the promo period and the internet is 25 down and the tv is slightly better image wise, plus it don't go out in heavy precipitation and wet snow don't stick to the dish anymore. Personally , after having played with Kodi or Netflix on a good high speed connection I'd put an antenna back up for local and forget about sat or cable. Unfortunately if you are like us and like your sports , I've not found satisfactory feeds over the net, both in quality and consistency for games.

Dave, when Vibe is here, I will be going the same. We have a antena on top of the tv not even hooked up and get the Barrie CTV channel. We have a live stream box here and watch Kodi, but channels are sub standard these days.We do get all and any movie we want. I have unlimited internet through Bell, so the cost is not bad, but miss the sports , uninterupted..

If it's RG- 59 it will work but you may have problems like ghost on certain channels. It should be RG-6 for the best reception.

I have installed a few dish satellites over the years but now it's gotten a bit more complicated depending on what you want as far as how many receivers, DVR's or TiVo's, etc........it's better to have the dish company do it and many times they do it for free with a one or two year commitment.

Let the installer do it all for you. Fresh coax vs 10+ year old that's there. A Bell dish will not work with Shaw as they run on different MHz. Bell runs higher as they have real 1080p HD service and no other company does. The others are all 720p/1080i and for those who like sports you can see a difference in the two. The current promo for Bell is $27 off any of the 4 tv pkg's for 3 months to offset the $49.95 install on a two year term. $199.95 no term. Go with the term and save the cash. If you cancel in the first year you owe the $150 credit back or $75 if in the second year. Feel free to PM me.

oh and there is a 'check availability' section on Bell.ca for internet and for TV. Sometimes some areas do not have an installer for TV...

*edit to add* if it say's "unable to determine at this time" is the polite way of saying NO SVC so call and someone will tell you. No need to call as I just told you... ;)

Edited by GBW

Thanks for the info.

I know there is Bell in my area as my neighbors are hooked up.

I have installed a few dishes before and have no problems setting it all up.

I was just hoping that I could re-route the current antenna-cable to the new dish I want to put up. As the antenna cable already runs through all the walls and directly to the living room, I was hoping to save some time "fishing" lines through walls etc.

So by the sounds of it, I should be good to go?

Thanks,

Meely