Strange folks on KIJIJI

lew

I've sold a bunch of stuff on kijiji and have never had any real issues but you sure do correspond with some oddballs.

Earlier this week I listed a rather large item for sale and within a day I received an email from a person saying he wanted to buy it but only had a small car. He asked if I'd deliver it to his house about 15 miles south of me and said he'd give me an additional $10 for gas.

I told him I'd gladly deliver it if he couldn't put it in his vehicle but he'd have to come to my house 1st and pay me in full.

Never heard back from him again :lol:

Can I put an offer in? This mystery item sounds intriguing. I had a similar experience trying to sell, 150 new rapala lures. Told them I would sell them as many as they wanted, in any sort of package they wanted at a loss for myself. Three people said ya sounds great and never got back to me.

And I would like to offer 68 dollars cash money.

And always have them come to you otherwise you can find yourself waiting for nothing. Lew approached it perfectly.

(One kijiji experience)

Handing out a cell phone number resulted in endless texts until I finally had to be rude to some degree. One can only answer so many questions about a vehicle for $1000..

Yup, just something you gotta deal with when you have people that are interested in getting something but are completely non committal about it haha, I'm guilty of a couple times emailing then talking myself out of it, but I'll follow it up saying I'm no longer interested.

My sister has a knack for breaking/losing phones so for Christmas 2 years ago I found a Samsung galaxy s3 or 4 for sale in Brantford for a good price, so I jumped on it, called him Sunday evening and said I could be there after work on Monday evening around 6 and he had my number if anything were to come up. So I head to his house knock on his door (pimple faced kid shows up to the door, maybe 18) say hey I'm here for the samsung and he just says "oh yeah I sold that earlier today"

Wow was I livid, I tore him a new one he was backing into his house and looked terrified, I think he filled his pants lol. Hopefully he learned his lesson and doesn't do it to anyone else

Kajjiji is what it is. I have both sold and purchased items without any big issues. The main issues I see is a lot of people think their things are worth more then what they actually are. I find if I price what I'm trying to sell competitively it will sell. Asking $20,000 for a boat that is only worth $12,000 (example) will cause lots of low balls and inquiries without many interst. Of course to each their own but this works for me.

I tried to sell 1 item on Kijiji. Never again. I had to waste my time and one time the guy needed to use the washroom and they were looking at everything I had but the inflatable for sale. Go behind the tree was met by "No I have to go inside". They were casing the place I know it 110%. When I asked them to show me some of the cash they had the guy couldn't show me a 20. It was a total casing of my place. They wanted to know if I go south for the winter. Get the "F" out of here and I told them if one thing was missing I know who they are but they don't know who I am. I took my phone out and took their pictures and the license plate. The truck had 2 different colored fenders and was a hoopdi. I was born on a Thursday, not last Thursday.

Just after that the tragedy in Ancaster happened.

I gave the boat away to a deserving person on another forum. What am I going to do with 200 bucks? Risk, reward, not worth the risk I believe. Beware all, there are people out there that are not worth dealing with. I am pessimistic with a capital P because of years of making me that. I'll give it away before having to deal with some of these goofs.

I've sold a lot on Kijiji, never an issue besides a few people never showing up when they said they would.

Sold lots. Bought lots. Problems have been few and far between.

Won't mention names but I've had problems with people on here. They want. They want.

Never hear from them again.

People are people. It's not Kijiji.​

Edited by Roe Bag

I've bought and sold lots of things on/from Kijiji; things I want cheap because I'm going to re-purpose them. A 16 foot extension ladder for example, now are a pair of skies for my snowmobile trailer/fish hut. The frame from a 20X10 portable garage is going to be the wall studs and roof joists.

Sled2.jpeg

image1 (1).jpeg

Spent 50 bucks for both.

Just picked up a wall safe for 200 bucks; took it to my locksmith to have it serviced before installing it in my mother in-laws basement wall; John (locksmith) offered me $800. for it.

Out of all my dealings I've only had one person stiff me with a no show; but they wanted to do a trade for something I wasn't sure I wanted or had a use for?

Dan.

I've sold a few things through Kijiji, and have had problems with 2, a solid pine 9 drawer dresser, was selling it for $25, lot of no shows, and the other was a car, a 96 accord with 100k on it, tons of interest, was very competatively priced, i had done a lot of research and price checking before listing, ended up selling it to a customer at work for his wife, they love it.

Everything I've ever bought, or have gotten for free, no issues, even the latest was my bbq, drove into Hamilton from Whitby for it. I always call just before I leave the house to give the person a pretty good time line, and to make sure the item is still in their possession

Edited by FloatnFly