Aluminum Boat Brands

grimsbylander

Dont know about who makes quality now but I always thought Alumacraft made a great boat and lund as well although they over priced themselves to me. I also agree on the Princecraft comments about quality, nice looking boat and not bad quality but no comparison to the other two brands I mentioned yet still very pricey.

My next aluminum fishing boat will have no wood and no carpet.

Without getting in to chevy vs ford debate,

Regardless of size, all boats have their limitations, rivets will leak and welds will crack if you beat the crap out of it, same goes for the motor and trailer,

Take care of your equipment, drive according to conditions and it will last a long time.

when I did my boat overhaul in 2011, i looked at carpetless floor.

i decided with the 12 month a year fishing i do, carpet is 100% the way to go.

but I know I'm in the minority on this one.....I'm not a clean freak...carpet reduces slippery surfaces in the cold, and keep the floor cooler in the heat.

I'm of two minds where carpet goes. On one hand I agree with Steve, I like the extra traction, especially once you get some slime on the deck. But it holds water like a sponge, and it never really comes clean. I like the durability of vinyl, but it can get pretty slippery after you've put a couple of fish on it, especially if you're fishing for lakers or pike.

Has anyone tried using snap-in carpet on their fishing boat? I know it's very popular on runabouts and bowriders ... the carpet attaches to the floor on a series on metal snaps, so you can haul it out in a few seconds to dry the boat out after a rain, or to give it a thorough cleaning at the end of the year. And once it gets really badly chewed up, it's a lot less fuss to replace than a traditional glued-in carpet floor.

It seems like a good alternative for a fishing boat. Anyone have any practical experience with it on a fishing rig?

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Exactly what I have in my Lund Craig.. It's in all summer and I take it out come fall to dry both it and the floor out. Then it's Musky time until ice in with the vinyl floor.

Pending it's state I either vacuum the carpet and roll it up for the winter or power wash it, let it dry and then roll up.

I have a 2013 Lund ProV and it's going back to the factory this winter. I have about 15-20 rivets falling out of the bottom. Glove box is falling off, drivers windshield is popping out along the bottom, screws coming out everywhere. This is my last aluminum boat, next will be fibreglass.

I have a 2013 Lund ProV and it's going back to the factory this winter. I have about 15-20 rivets falling out of the bottom. Glove box is falling off, drivers windshield is popping out along the bottom, screws coming out everywhere. This is my last aluminum boat, next will be fibreglass.

That's unreal.

67ZL1, it kills me to admit I've heard that story more times than I care to admit lately.

I took a very long and hard look at the boat market before refurb'ing my boat in 2011.

I didn't think the rebuild would be the way I'd go but the boats today just aren't built like they used to be. (unless you go the custom route).

I have a 1999 Lowe that I bought used a couple of years ago. it had been completely refurbished and looked like new on the trailer, which also looked new...Motor run great and everything works good on the boat but it leaks likely a bit too much. Likely not a brand I would recommend in a hurry. But I have to say I've dragged it all over and fished the heck out of it. Certainly getting good use out of it for my 6K with new trolling motor, and a spectacular second season. This year Im going to try to fix some more rivets and install an auto bilge pump. Also realize that it took me almost an entire year to find it. If you are looking for a used one you better get on them quick, I missed a dozen boats that came out on Kijiji they were sold before 9 the next morning....

On my second Lund .First was a 1999 explorer that I sold to Bondar on this site never had an issue with that boat . Now I have a 2015 rebel xl sport that I have zero complaints with but I have only been using it for 6 months. As far as I can tell it is a solid well built boat that cost no more than any other brand with similar specs. If I had the cash and the storage I would like fibreglass but I am really happy with my Lund .

Bondar got himself a great boat!!

The 90's explorer series was one of the most well built Lund ever.

The Lund Pro Guide was the upgrade to the explorer series, but super tough to find.

I'm sure you will love your new Lund for years to come :)

Edited by Steve

Nice boats, but we'll have to see what the future holds. Last week PolarKraft was sold to Bennington Marine, along with six other boat brands that used to make up Nautic Global Group (the other makes are Rinker, Hurricane, SanPan, Sweetwater, Godfrey and Aqua Patio). Since Bennington Marine only makes pontoons, it's not clear if they will keep them all, or just keep the pontoon brands and re-sell PolarKraft and Rinker to someone else. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Nice boats, but we'll have to see what the future holds. Last week PolarKraft was sold to Bennington Marine, along with six other boat brands that used to make up Nautic Global Group (the other makes are Rinker, Hurricane, SanPan, Sweetwater, Godfrey and Aqua Patio). Since Bennington Marine only makes pontoons, it's not clear if they will keep them all, or just keep the pontoon brands and re-sell PolarKraft and Rinker to someone else. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

I don't know if that's good or bad........I might have one of the last Polar Kraft's produced.

• 7 months later...

Check out Duckworth, Weldcraft, and Alumiweld. Built to last a lifetime. No rivets in any of these boats. Much thicker aluminum then what you get on the popular heavily marketed brands. A good used one can save you 10 grand on the price and it will sell last a lifetime.