2015/2016 Hockey Thread

LostAnotherOne

Maybe it should be a fan vote for the top 3 picks....it worked for the All Start game didn't it???

You know, this isn't the most rediculous idea ever.

It will never happen but hear me out.

All the teams in the lottery are entered in a fan vote.

30th overall multiples their votes by 20%

29th overall multiples their votes by 12.5%

28th overall multiples their votes by 10%.

And so on and so fourth. The team that gets the most pro-rated votes gets the #1 pick.

See just how die-hard fans are for their team.

I have issues with teams 'tanking" so they can get a better draft pick. Why should teams be rewarded because they played poorly on purpose? Why should a team that just misses the playoffs and worked hard to get there be punished with a 14th or 13th pick? To listen to Leaf fans getting upset because the Leafs played well and they won a game but would loose a better chance at a number 1 pick is just sacrilegious when using the word "pro". And they charge admission to this type of entertainment?

No matter what system would be used somebody would complain.

My neighbour (an avid Toronto fan) had a good suggestion. The top 16 teams that make the playoffs continue with draft picks 15-30, BUT the bottom 14 teams would get rewarded for playing to win (that's what professionals are supposed to do) by awarding the draft picks 1 to 14 to teams finishing 17 to 30. In other words the top pick would go to the team that just missed the playoffs or 17th. The 2nd pick would go to the 18th team and so on. . That way ever game has meaning and value even if a team misses the playoffs. The 30th team would get the 14th pick. This would encourage all the lower teams to play to win at the end of the season and tanking would almost become a non-issue.

Just an idea.

muddler

I have issues with teams 'tanking" so they can get a better draft pick. Why should teams be rewarded because they played poorly on purpose? Why should a team that just misses the playoffs and worked hard to get there be punished with a 14th or 13th pick? To listen to Leaf fans getting upset because the Leafs played well and they won a game but would loose a better chance at a number 1 pick is just sacrilegious when using the word "pro". And they charge admission to this type of entertainment?

My neighbour (an avid Toronto fan) had a good suggestion. The top 16 teams that make the playoffs continue with draft picks 15-30, BUT the bottom 14 teams would get rewarded for playing to win (that's what professionals are supposed to do) by awarding the draft picks 1 to 14 to teams finishing 17 to 30. In other words the top pick would go to the team that just missed the playoffs or 17th. The 2nd pick would go to the 18th team and so on. . That way ever game has meaning and value even if a team misses the playoffs. The 30th team would get the 14th pick. This would encourage all the lower teams to play to win at the end of the season and tanking would almost become a non-issue.

Just an idea.

muddler

I would fully back this and it would produce great hockey right till the end of the season

Great idea!

The tanking comments are made in jest. Nobody can seriously expect teams to throw games. How long before that leaked out of the dressing room on a trade? Make no mistake, I hope they lose every dang game left, but I don't believe they're trying to lose as you suggested.

Edited by grimsbylander

I liked Babcock's comment a couple of weeks ago when the tanking issue came up at the post game presser....it was something to the effect 'I like to pick first, everybody does, but I like to win every night too. The thing to remember is though, if you mess with the system, the system will mess with you'.

I really don't think anyone is throwing games.

The thing I think we are all forgetting is that the only people that want the team to lose is the fans.

Think about this like a workplace.

If you are soooooo bad at your job, management is going to bring in new, younger employees that will get paid more to do your job.

In a salary cap era leafs players realize stamkos and the younger guys are going to be taking away dollars they should be making. Babcocks job is safe but I don't know if the other coaches are. Coming in 30th is the worst possible thing for most people involved in MLSE.

Just an idea.

muddler

I don't think the Leafs would have won three in row from March 19 to 24 if they were losing games on purpose. They lost their last three, but prior to that they had actually been doing pretty good for a while. They are obviously trying, they just don't have a lot of good experienced players.

Just an idea.

muddler

Isn't this what Shane Doan proposed the other day? He said his son, who is a die hard Coyotes fan, was cheering for them to lose and it was pretty upsetting for him.

Edited by jrwb

What ever system is put in place will be manipulated before too long regardless...even Shane's. What stops a near bottom team from sandbagging themselves out of the playoffs and then magically cleaning up after their mathematically eliminated? If you were playing Washington first round wouldn't you? You can't beat them but you can sure as heck beat most of the teams below you. If teams are intentionally tanking, then it's a very difficult thing to control. Baseball is going through the same issues.

My Dad had a great idea..Have a separate playoffs of all the teams that dont make the Stanley cup playoffs. This new playoff format would determine draft order for the teams that didnt make it..The team that wins it gets the 1st pick and so on.....