2015/2016 Hockey Thread

LostAnotherOne

Babs just admitted in the pre-game interview that they have not been trying to match lines aggressively in the last few weeks as they normally would. He also said that all the players are expected to compete 100% though. That's about as close as anyone has ever come to admitting they are okay losing.....

Well if he was really trying to tank he wouldn't dress Komarov or Bozak. Bernier would never had seen the ice. And if all of that didn't work just pull a Pittsburgh Penguin ..... don't dress Nylander. :/

I think you owe it to the other teams coming down the stretch to put up a decent battle. I'll bet Phili isn't happy with the Pittsburgh sitting their top players.

I'm hoping Edmonton wins the 1st pick. they can pick the overrated yankee. he'll turn out as good as Yakupov has.

than we can pick one of the Finns.

Oh to dream to dream!!!!

Something tell me Edmonton is not going to pick Matthews however...they have learned those who are touted the best aren't often the best...especially in this case. They might buck the trend and take Laine instead.

well, in short, the media (and as a result, the "fans") have all jumped on the austin matthews bandwagon.Why? because he's the first American who has shown any promise in the last five years....

BUT, the kid has been touted since he was 10 years old. Been promised by everyone he will be the american "Gretzky".

The last three or four years he hasn't even been the best in his age group, but because he has been touted the best for so long, no one wants to back pedal. He'll be about as good as Yakupov has been so far....a dud.

Edited by Steve

I really don't know about this draft class, but just looking at the stats matthews put up playing in a men's league are amazing as an 18 year old, I'm sure Laine and Puljujarvi are good also but Matthew's has already had a year of development in a men's league where the others have not, that's a pretty big step forward

Regardless of what we think, ultimately I think the choice is mark hunters to make, and from what I've read he's not always the guy to pick the consensus best player but he knows how to pick someone who has a high ceiling for talent

Gotta wonder if the leafs do get 1st would they ever trade it to get a proven prospect and hypothetically the 2nd or 3rd overall pick

That won't happen this year. There isn't enough difference between the 1st and 3rd picks to warrent giving up a prospect to move up two positions in the draft.

Naz and Rielly have been locked up for the next 6 years. :)

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=878634

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Wednesday that the team has signed defenceman Morgan Rielly and forward Nazem Kadri to new six-year contracts.

Rielly, 22, led all Maple Leafs defencemen with a career-high 36 points (nine goals, 27 assists) while skating in all 82 games this year. The native of Vancouver, British Columbia also led the team with 23:13 of average ice time per game. Since entering the league in 2013-14, the fifth overall selection in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft has collected 92 points (19 goals, 73 assists) in 236 regular season games. Rielly was named to Team Canada’s roster for the 2016 IIHF World Championship earlier this week.

Kadri, 25, led the Maple Leafs with 45 points (17 goals, 28 assists) in 76 games this season. In parts of seven NHL seasons, the London, Ontario native has registered 197 points (81 goals, 116 assists) and 207 penalty minutes in 326 regular season games. Kadri was originally selected by the Maple Leafs with the seventh overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.