Fifth wheel or motor home?

Big Cliff

It's really all about preference and what you plan to do.

My personal recommendation based on your situation is to go with the fifth wheel and a nice 3/4 ton diesel truck. It sounds like you'll want to camp in different spots for decent chunks of time - not bouncing around every week or so. The big campers are a LOT cheaper than big motor homes, and they are larger inside and have better layouts (no cab area to eat up space).

A nice diesel pickup will hold its value really well, and the campers hold value better than motorhomes (from my experience).

One thing for sure, you can save a TON of money by buying both the truck and camper a few years old. There is no reason to buy brand new.

Lastly, if its just the two of you, you should at least look at the big bumper pull campers. Some of the newer ones have two or three slideouts and are super nice. They will be cheaper than a big fifth wheel and will be easier to tow around and sell later. Plus, it frees up the bed of your truck, which is incredibly useful.

Cliff, we've made our decision and it will be a fifth wheel. I'm retiring in about 18 months and we'll buy sometime between now and then. I'm not going full-time, so we plan to buy at maximum a 35' fiver. Most full timers go bigger. This size is easier to haul and allows for more campground options. We will use ours to travel out west and winter down south. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck and a 2,200 lb pin weight is about the maximum I can haul and be within my 10,000 GVWR. We've been researching 5th wheels for sometime. My #1 choice right now would be a Northwood. Either the Arctic Fox 27-5L or the Fox Mountain 32-RKS. Northwood makes a very well-built 4 season trailer, but we also like the Silverback 31RK by Cedar Creek. We prefer the rear kitchen models as generally they allow for the largest kitchen and most counter space. If you go 5th wheel be very aware of your tow vehicles GVWR and GVCWR limitations and remember, all 5th wheel manufacturers list only the unloaded (dry) pin weight. Be especially careful of 1/2 ton towable 5'ers. If you indeed are not overweight it may be because they have built them quit structurally deficient to minimize weight. The biggest RV show in the nation is at Hershey Park in Hershey PA in September. It was fabulous, we went last year and plan to go for two days this year. It's the 1st show of the year where the manufacturers will have their 2016 line-up on display. Every kind of camper imaginable will be there. Good luck.

Cliff, 35 ft is a large trailer to haul around. I know you want the comfort but consider these. If you have a 5th wheel the you cannot really store stuff in the box of your truck. Then you have stairs to deal with and at night they can be a pain. You lose storage space at the front of the trailer. Also parking it can be a challenge in some temp parks with limited space while on the road.

A well designed 24 ft travel trailer with 2 slide outs would provide all the room you need. Plus lots of storage. The interior layout is important.

I have a one slide out, 30ft, 5th wheel with a front bedroom, middle washroom, middle living room and rear kitchen. The slide out makes my living room/ kitchen wide enough to provide plenty of room. Would have liked to get the bedroom slide out, but oh well. I have this in a park and don't plan to move it as I do not want to put a 5th in my truck.

Check out Sicard trailer.

Good luck with your choice.

Wow! :clapping: Sue would love that LOL.

Actually we have been doing a fair bit of looking and learning. One of the things we have been told is that warranties are not transferable so be very careful of anything used. We were also VERY surprised at the prices of new but last years models. We found a couple of really nice 5th wheels with prices starting around $58,000.00 with a beautiful delux one for $83,000.00 (and boy it was beautiful).

Got a lot more looking to do yet but that is why we started now.

X2 on the above. You can always park the 5th, then go explore lakes. With a motor home your stuck with having to pack everything up.

It is a great setup, my buddy up north has something similar. Problem is that in Ontario for some reason you need a full 'A' license to tow the double trailer (regardless of the weight) and the hauler has to be registered as a Commercial Vehicle. Kind of a show stopper for most of us....

Edited by G.mech

You can likely get a lot of work done on your own for the difference in price btwn new and used. Plus what good is a warranty if you're on the road and nowhere near the trailer manufacturer (or one of their dealers).

Good point! Thanks!

something we are considering since it will soon be just the 2 us on summer trips is a slide in camper,which will allow you to still pull the boat and can disconnect at site so can drive around in just the truck. they have come along way check out link.

http://www.lancecamper.com/truck-campers/1172/

Very nice but not big enough if you are going to spend a LOT of time in it!

It is a great setup, my buddy up north has something similar. Problem is that in Ontario for some reason you need a full 'A' license to tow the double trailer (regardless of the weight) and the hauler has to be registered as a Commercial Vehicle. Kind of a show stopper for most of us....

Are you talking about the 5th wheel + boat combo above? No special license required, I tow a rig like that quite a bit in the summer (Even been pulled over by the OPP with it, lol whoops!) All pickups are considered 'commerical' anyhow (black plates)..

Edited by BillM

Are you talking about the 5th wheel + boat combo above? No special license required, I tow a rig like that quite a bit in the summer (Even been pulled over by the OPP with it, lol whoops!) All pickups are considered 'commerical' anyhow (black plates)..

The MTO clarified this recently....you cannot even drive that rig with an AR (restricted class A) anymore, must be full A (you don't need a Z endorsement but whatever). Not saying you'd get stopped or charged but it is the new rule. Regardless of what Ontario says, most RV'ers will be travelling in the US too and if you think figuring out what you can or can't tow in Ontario is hard, try figuring out each different state you plan to drive through. Here's a link that spells it out as clearly as any:

http://www.pstc.ca/ontarios-class-class-restricted-drivers-license/

And a chart showing the smorgasbord of rules across Canada:

http://www.rvda.ca/ProvRVRegs.asp

Edited by G.mech

That's some great info! I wonder if the police even know about this, lol.

I know one cop that does.....don't ask. Some call it education but I refer to it as scar tissue.

Also, the black plate on a pickup does not deem it commercial, you have to get a CVOR and yellow sticker every year to tow the tandem or any trailer over 4600kg's. (similar lesson).

Big Cliff,

Our Michigan supplier for my former Sunroom business is located in Clinton Township Michigan which is actually a suburb of Detroit. Travel to Sarnia and cross the Bluewater bridge to Port Huron. You take the highway to Detroit city and you will pass many of the factories that make the RV's mentioned here. They have literally have hundreds as far as the eye can see in the lots. Our sales rep from Detroit bought himself a full size bus loaded to the hilt direct from the factory for 1/3 of what the retailers wanted. I would go there and check them out and see what deal you can get. Even with the exchange you may be ahead with a brand new 5th or full size. I drove it once with him from Cleveland to Miami and it took some getting used to. I did not enjoy navigating it in any city had to cab it once it was parked in Home Depot that encourage camper park there. I didn't consider all the lights on in those lots, made for a tough time to get to sleep.

Big Cliff,

Our Michigan supplier for my former Sunroom business is located in Clinton Township Michigan which is actually a suburb of Detroit. Travel to Sarnia and cross the Bluewater bridge to Port Huron. You take the highway to Detroit city and you will pass many of the factories that make the RV's mentioned here. They have literally have hundreds as far as the eye can see in the lots. Our sales rep from Detroit bought himself a full size bus loaded to the hilt direct from the factory for 1/3 of what the retailers wanted. I would go there and check them out and see what deal you can get. Even with the exchange you may be ahead with a brand new 5th or full size. I drove it once with him from Cleveland to Miami and it took some getting used to. I did not enjoy navigating it in any city had to cab it once it was parked in Home Depot that encourage camper park there. I didn't consider all the lights on in those lots, made for a tough time to get to sleep.

That is some good advice! First I think I have to decide which way I want to go, 5th wheel or motor home, the 5th wheels we have looked at were beautiful but I am still interested in further exploring the motor homes. I am going to take a day and go over to Hitch World and spend a day looking and asking questions. Once we have that decision made then I'll narrow it down to makes, then features and prices then talking to current owners. It's a lot of money to invest but when you stop and consider that my 2013 Rogue cost about $30,000.00..... Well, lots to consider.

Don't you dare take off !!!...What would I do without you ???

Just kidding...My health doesn't allow me to consider such a move for MB and me...(my mortgage company and Hydro One need me to stay put also...LOL)

Edited by Beans