Big Lake Trout

4x4bassin

I was up fishing a cottage lake in the Parry Sound area the last couple days and hooked into my personal best

lake trout . Not sure of the weight but it was a thick fish and was just over 33" long . I always bring out the jigging

gear when I'm at this lake , seems the jig bite is better here then flatlining . Monday morning was calm and warm

perfect for jigging . At least that's what I thought , the lakers were not cooperating . I tried everything and could not

get one to move on the finder . They were there but eating my jigs that morning was not happening so we called it a

morning and headed back for breakfast . Mid afternoon came and we decided to go on a little cruise around the lake

to enjoy the sights , while cruising around I decided to head over to my "honey hole" and turn on the finder and see if

there was anything swimming around down there . Sure enough there were 4 big hooks on the finder in 50' over 60'

From my experience this is the perfect scenario , when the lake trout are suspended around 10' off bottom and in a group

of 3 or more they are feeding and aggressive . Drop a jig on them and it's a race to see who gets it first !!!

I had changed my jig weight just prior to 3/4 oz and took the stinger off to see if I was going to have better results in the afternoon

with this setup and like any good lake trout hunter I was ready to drop when those hooks appeared . Sure enough when the jig got to

about 10' above the hooks the race was on and I think the biggest of the pack smashed my jig . Fought her for a good 10 mins.

before she unwillingly swam into the net .

P7060015_zpstd4mc0vq.jpg

P7060022_zpsqmpiu1mn.jpg

She was real beauty and after a couple quick pictures and a measurement she was back in the water to swim again .

The bait of choice was a 3/4 oz darter jig (home paint job) and a 4" white/silver flaked fluke .

P7060023_zpsxq4yhrb4.jpg

Cheers