Grand Cat Report- April 26

Pikeslayer

that was a slow day, at least the one that came to play was a good size - a big thanks to Pete for putting us in the zone finally, if only the sun would have stayed out and that cold front could have waited another hour or so. I gotta tell ya, if we'd stayed any longer we would have been putting up the stand up to keep that NE wind off.

Some sweet looking meat there - soon to be blackened and griddled up I suspect?

Great to meet Pete (and thanks for the kitty food :) ) and Jeremy and his family. Always a good thing to meet the folks from the board.

Good to see the coldwater cats are starting to move around. We have water temps around 60F now and the cats are still off secondary points with a light bite on shad cutbait and squid parts. The move to shallow water is around the corner with the bass spawn and the temps going into the mid 60s the cats will be raiding the nests and feeding on the fry in the slightly warmer shallows. When the bite drops off in the shallows around 70F then the catfish have gone to spawn with food bites dropping off for a few weeks till the fry hatch. The key is mostly catching female cats since the males are guarding the nest and rarely eat. Once the 70s are solid then the fish are predictable and will follow a pattern depending on the availability of food and shelter.

Art

LOL.

Can you carry a 15 lb anchor on the toon Brian? Downriver would be a breeze. Back against a pretty strong current, not so much.

Theres current? Im out.LOL

I can put all needed to get there and back,but not worth the risk. I have a spot close to home I want to try. There use to be lots years back. ( why is everything seem like it,s years back?) :rolleyes:

I thought I recognized your boat on the QEW... See you in a week & half.

Not mine Albert. She's waiting for me in zone 15 :)

Nice goin Simon. Pete sure is one of the good guys isnt he? Rising temps can only mean the cat fishing will warm up in the coming weeks.

Yes he is S. Like many here ;). I was looking for your truck in the lot on Sunday? Albert is guiding on the 9th and I'm expecting an epic day :). Cats should be on fire!!

I can put all needed to get there and back,but not worth the risk. I have a spot close to home I want to try. There use to be lots years back. ( why is everything seem like it,s years back?) :rolleyes:

I refer to "last century" these days. Much easier ;)

'toons are towable aren't they? Promise I wont put the 115 past 1/2 throttle :ninja: :

I think it's still a tad early for big cats on the Grand. That's not to say they aren't there but the big female felines aren't on the feedbag yet. Once the evenings are warm enough for a light jacket, the Sandflies are in the air and the first buds are on the Ash trees whoe Nelly, hang on to that rod slick.

Joeytier, to get ready for Grand River monsters throw a rope over the house, tie a refrigerator to it, and try and pull the fridge over the top of the house. 30 pounders are not a common catch but they are there. There are pics at Fishmasters Marina to prove it. I think Pete Bowman got into one a few years back not far from the marina.

Nice!

How do you like to cook them?

Used to love me some Louisianna catfish at the Lonestar. Good eats... nice big one ya got.

Interested to hear how you like to prepare those cats?

This recipe & a quality properly 'seasoned' cast iron skillet/griddle will rival any restaurant/Lonestar prepared dish :)

Here's the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blackened-fish/detail.aspx

I picked up this griddle (Lodge Products) @ BPS approx $20. It comes preseasoned with great instructions on care & maintaining seasoned finish. I use it for seared beef as well.

E8B0C547-0556-44B4-9973-54F3AEC33301_zps

Key is getting the cast iron to extreme high heat (Q @ max to 600 F+), ultra hot surface and definitely want to do this outside!! If it ain't smokin', it ain't Cajun :)

@ Moose,

That ain't big by Grand standards ;) I figure 7,8 lbs which is my max for harvest. I'm cautious when cleaning leaving a minimum 1/8" or more on the skin and zero belly fat & blood lines. Yield on that fish was maybe a pound +

Edited by pikeslayer