Drift Sock

Dan668

Looking to pick up some drift socks to try this year. Normally the trolling motor is ok but I figured they may be helpful on Erie when I go out for smallmouth since my boat is a deep v. They act like a kite if it is windy out. Any recommendation on size and placement? I have read some use grocery carrying bags but I think id rather have the ones that are collapsible. I have read about bass boats potentially being swamped. Although it is a completely different style of boat, figured id ask for general knowledge on the best placement when running a pair of them. My boat is 18' btw.

Thanks

Edited by dan668

The sock that I used on my 16' was a 56" that I would tie off at the bow or 1-2' back from the bow depending on how hard the wind was blowing. With the use of the main motor as a rudder, I could usually keep the boat drifting at a right angle to the wind. I also ran the dump line up the center of the sock, so that I could adjust how big the cone was; which would change the speed of the drift.

I don't think there are any hardened fast rules on how to use a drift sock; you'll need to experiment with what works for you and your boat.

Dan.

I have a BPS drift sock, although I'm not sure of the size, its not the smallest but not the largest either so I guess its the medium size one. I had it for years never even took it out, then last year I was fishing on buckhorn/pigeon and it was so windy it looked like white water rapids blowing through gannons narrows, I figured why not give it a whirl, and to be honest I was totally impressed how much it slowed the drift down. I would position the boat going with the chop throw it out the back of the boat, and just used the trolling motor to keep me on my desired track. Well worth the money and easy to use . Just a couple tips depending on where you tie it off, be conscious of your light pole and I found it best to have the motor up so the rope wouldn't rub or put pressure on my lower unit especially if I get off that straight line.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/050/0/6931930/il_570xN.715975370_7wvs.jpg

Drift socks help, especially on Lake Erie, these do too, the drift may not be as smooth but they disturb the rocks on the bottom and send crawfish and other things scurrying that attracts smallies.

Old window sash weights, if you know some one that installs windows they might have some laying around.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Yes 2 minn kotta drift bags myself one out front & one out back !!! Keeps the drift steady and precise !!!! Just make sure they are the same size or boat will drift either more on the front or back !!!! And I have a tiller so it's east to use as a rudder as well same with my bow mount trolling motor can be used to keep it straight !!!!! Great fro dropshotting & dragging tubes or swim baits over shoals & flats !!!!!! Make sure they are dry before you put them away !!!! And a cleaning tip is vinegar !!!!! Just pray some on light scrub and rinse !!! Works great !!!!!!

Haha !!! Way back when !!! In the 80's my stepfather had a huge heavy fiberglass walk through 18ft with a 90hp Johnson and used to troll with 2 give gallon white buckets out each side of the back of the boat and would drill holes into them to get our speed we wanted !!!!!! Did that stuff long before drift bags were ever on the shelf !!!!! It's was not nice to steer but we would manage and it did work !!!! ..... Ahhhh memories