Coyotes ????? WTH..... Questions....

Gerritt

The only noise I ever heard a coyote make was the thud when he hit the dirt after falling 500' out of an ACME balloon..

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Yes I enjoy their noise also at night here on Pigeon Lake. Don't understand it though.

lmao--funny stuff-thanks--lol

Paul

Here's a link to some free downloadable sounds that'll allow you to listen to various coyote sounds and compare them to what you've been hearing. I used a few of the coyote sounds they offer this past winter to call in a couple coyotes.

ht tp://www.gsmoutdoors.com/maestro/digital-sounds/coyote/

some inbred redneck in the London area has I believe has killed now 8 yotes and then decapitated them leaving them on walking trails in and around the city,sometimes I wish we could cleanse the gene pool. Nothing against hunters but this person is killing them for some sort of thrill or hatred and will be charged when caught.

If you guys are so worried about being preyed upon, go live somewhere else, there's lots of countries with no threat of bears, wolves, snakes or coyotes

hunt to eat with no waste

God bless Canada!

I couldn't agree more Chris!!! These animals were here long before us and it should be up to us to assimilate with them. Coyotes are hunters just like us and at least in the country I find it super interesting to listen to them bark and howl at night. Fair enough, I can see them as a problem in the city when they prey upon pets but I have a tough time faulting them for hunting in the country as they have done for hundreds and hundreds of years. Everytime I come across a coyote is while I'm steelheading and they present no danger at all, in fact they are 10 times more elusive than deer and take off the second they spot us. Last year was the first time I had witnessed a coyote hound hunt. We were fishing and heard dogs barking for about 10 minutes, and they got closer and closer. I looked to the far bank and I saw a yote run to the edge and it look panicked and terrified and then take off. 1 minute later we saw 3 large beagle type hounds with gps collars on run to the same spot and then take off in the direction that the coyote took. We were in an extremely remote area, and to be honest I just didn't see the sport in hunting these animals with dogs for nothing more than their fur at the most. No meat value at all!!!! I might have had more respect for the "hunters" if they tracked them down themselves.

I couldn't agree more Chris!!! These animals were here long before us and it should be up to us to assimilate with them.

Just so you know and I'm not trying to change your opinion on Coyotes...but WE were here before them, at least in Eastern Canada. They are a Western species and have spread across Canada and are doing extremely well, especially around people. In fact, they are just about impossible to exterminate. When populations are under stress(from hunting let's say) they increase reproduction to make up for the losses, you can't get rid of them if you try! An amazing, adaptable creature that has benefited from human development unlike many other animals.

coyotes are not endangered, they thrive in all conditions and human development has helped spread their population...you need to remove 70% of their population annually to even see a reduction in numbers, they are very resilient

I'm not worried about preyed upon myself lol, but I care about my dogs a lot more than a coyote....

If you guys are so worried about being preyed upon, go live somewhere else, there's lots of countries with no threat of bears, wolves, snakes or coyotes

hunt to eat with no waste

God bless Canada!

Good post Chris, agree 100%

Just so you know and I'm not trying to change your opinion on Coyotes...but WE were here before them, at least in Eastern Canada. They are a Western species and have spread across Canada and are doing extremely well, especially around people. In fact, they are just about impossible to exterminate. When populations are under stress(from hunting let's say) they increase reproduction to make up for the losses, you can't get rid of them if you try! An amazing, adaptable creature that has benefited from human development unlike many other animals.

Trying to understand this post. Why would we want to exterminate the species? And.......last time I checked there were no signs East of The Rockies saying "no coyotes allowed".

coyotes are not endangered, they thrive in all conditions and human development has helped spread their population...you need to remove 70% of their population annually to even see a reduction in numbers, they are very resilient

I'm not worried about preyed upon myself lol, but I care about my dogs a lot more than a coyote....

Your logic is flawed. Artificial population control never has and never will work.

I wasn't suggesting that, I was making the point that hunting alone will not hurt their current numbers...emotions and politics aside, I support most hunting if it is sustainable

by artificial population control, you mean human influence? I can assure you there are indeed models where artificial population control has been very effect....look at aerial shooting of wolves in western provinces

God bless Canada indeed, thought we had a proud tradition of hunting and trapping...

Edited by bare foot wader

Everyone loves a coyote right up until it eats your mr. Fluffy. I have met several lovers of the noble yote, who invariably moved from the city to a more rural area, only to have mr. Snuggles the cat or fluffy the dog snatched from the yard In front of them and turned into lunch. Funny how they suddenly become fans of coyote reduction then, especially upon hearing your a hunter. Coyotes pose a minuscule risk to humans, but can pose problems for farmers and owners of small animals. Nobody will eradicate yotes, short of an A bomb. But a little hunting pressure never hurt. It removes the more bold of the local pack, and causes them to be a little less likely to wander into the barn to help themselves to the young of the year. I've met few stock owners that don't keep a .22 of some flavor behind the seat of the tractor, or in the truck particulary in calving season. They do it for a reason. Anyway, you'll never be able to explain that to the animal planet types.

Trying to understand this post. Why would we want to exterminate the species? And.......last time I checked there were no signs East of The Rockies saying "no coyotes allowed".

Not sure if anyone is trying to exterminate the species at the moment, just control the numbers. I was just trying to illustrate the point that you couldn't exterminate them even if you tried.(in the past people have tried exterminating all kinds of critters) People have trapped, poisoned, and shot them from aircraft with little affect on their numbers or expanding range, even with bounties in place. Another reason for there expansion is the reduction in wolf numbers, a less adaptable species. Nature doesn't like a void and the coyote is filling it. And to your second point, last time I checked I didn't see any signs here saying "no Asian Carp wanted" either. Both species are here to stay whether we like it or not but people will always try controlling them.

If you're so worried about your pets, same thing, go live somewhere else

Our white arses came over on a boat, walked in and set up shop here

yeah, God Bless Canada, a rich history of hunting and trapping for food and clothing, not for bounties or sport

Coyotes didn't exist in southern Ontario in any appreciable numbers until the 70's. Actually until the 70's the deer population was a fraction of what it is today, but we did have a lot of Ring Neck Pheasants that are now gone. Oh and local Canada Geese were in a bad way too back then.

Why is there a year round unlimited number open season?

Well, I'm assuming because the MNR deemed the population strong enough to handle the hunting pressure. And to be honest, I don't think too many hunters actually target coyotes and they are IMO one of the most difficult animals to harvest...the most intelligent for sure. Crows, starlings and blackbirds are also open season, no limit. Again, not too many guys targeting them either yet some of the most commonly seen birds around.