Ripley's Aquarium of Canada

PUMP KNOWS

Just be sure to buy your tickets ahead of time or you may end up disappointed. You can get them online. They have very specific entry times so, much like a CN Tower tour, you buy your tickets in advance for a set entry.

HH

Edited by Headhunter

dont know how busy it is these days but we went mid week, first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds (i hate crowds). not cheap, but worth it if you have kids.

ripleys.jpg

Edited by Raf

dont know how busy it is these days but we went mid week, first thing in the morning to avoid the crowds (i hate crowds). not cheap, but worth it if you have kids.

ripleys.jpg

That's a cool shot Raf :)

Surprised you fellow fish lovers aren't opposed to the aquarium. I've never been, but I do hear that there are lots of very impressive areas there.

Keep in mind that these fish are probably replaced regularly. Are we really wasting fish's lives by putting them on display and killing them slowly? All the while someone in an office is profitting from these animals' lives?

great shot Raf!

I got the year pass almost a year ago and have been several time. Personally I have more negative things to say than positive, but most are related to the overcrowding.

If you go on weekend, expect a TON of people. Expect to spend a lot. Expect to have the nearby parking lot full if there are any other events at the Metro Centre/Skydome/CN tower.

The design has a lot of bottleneck areas and people will bunch up. Expect people to bump into you, especially when you are tying to take a photo. Don't expect them to apologize. Expect a lot of strollers to hot your ankles. Expect people to try push in front of you if there is a lineup forming. Expect very few food options, and lineups for food (which I found strange considering the high quality food right next door at the CN tower). Better off getting some street-meat outside before/after visiting.

On a good note, expect to see some awesome displays (even if they are a little small for such big fish). There is a ton of different species to check out, including some big sharks. My 7 year old son loves to go, but I find myself spending less time looking at fish more time trying to keep an eye on him so he isn't swept away in the crowds.

My expectations were very high, but thats only because I have visited some of the top aquariums in the world (such as Georgia Aquarium) which put this one to shame in every way.

easyfish - I hear ya bud. It is a little sad if you stop to think about it. Much like to zoo I guess. I'd like to think the people working there really do care about the welfare of the animals though.

Edited by Fishing Fury

Surprised you fellow fish lovers aren't opposed to the aquarium. I've never been, but I do hear that there are lots of very impressive areas there.

Keep in mind that these fish are probably replaced regularly. Are we really wasting fish's lives by putting them on display and killing them slowly? All the while someone in an office is profitting from these animals' lives?

I have no argument for this because you are right, i have always had pets in aquariums and terrariums but have often wondered about the morality of it. Is it wrong for me to have a tarantula in captivity for my enjoyment?

Is it wrong for anyone to keep anything as a pet?

Since we are on the topic is it wrong for us to use live bait? Hooking worms minnows and etc to catch fish? And lastly to hook and fight a fish undoubtedly stressing it out and risking its life for our personal pleasure just to let it go so someone else can do the same?

I understand these are not directly related but if im going to ask myself tough moral questions it always comes back to the one regarding my greatest passion in life.

For now though if im going to keep fishing and i have already visited and therefore supported the aquarium, ill have to leave those questions for another day.

Just be sure to buy your tickets ahead of time or you may end up disappointed. You can get them online. They have very specific entry times so, much like a CN Tower tour, you buy your tickets in advance for a set entry.

HH

Sound advice HH--the place is Magical--most especially for Kidz --little pricey perhaps--It's a memory making event if you choose to go--Entertaining and educational IMO--Edutainment if you will

Is it Spring Yet ?

Punishing Winter

GB Fisher--you can come out now brother--The ''WINTERNET" is almost over--sorry--couldn't resist

Have FUN

ID1

Easyfish, your comment got me thinking... should we have animals in our possession for our own gratification?

So, I decided to ask an expert... my Lab.

We had a good chat and decided that he much preferred to be fed by us as opposed to chasing his meals and fighting for territory with all the other dogs. He feels pretty comfortable in his bed and figures that it is worth it to him to give up some of his personal freedoms, in order to live a happy life with our family.

I know he can't speak for the animals at Ripley's, nor can he speak for the various animals locked in the zoo, but I thought I would pass this along so perhaps you can gain an appreciation for another point of view.

Your mileage may differ.

HH

PS... I would quote you but I haven't been able to do that since the last system upgrade here.

Easyfish, your comment got me thinking... should we have animals in our possession for our own gratification?

So, I decided to ask an expert... my Lab.

We had a good chat and decided that he much preferred to be fed by us as opposed to chasing his meals and fighting for territory with all the other dogs. He feels pretty comfortable in his bed and figures that it is worth it to him to give up some of his personal freedoms, in order to live a happy life with our family.

I know he can't speak for the animals at Ripley's, nor can he speak for the various animals locked in the zoo, but I thought I would pass this along so perhaps you can gain an appreciation for another point of view.

Your mileage may differ.

HH

PS... I would quote you but I haven't been able to do that since the last system upgrade here.

Not my pups. I flat out asked them and the response nearly knocked me over!

They choose to live at the aquarium???

Our family is devastated ?

Edited by manitoubass2

Keeping animals in captivity for our own enjoyment is a personal, moral issue. However, keeping low intelligent critters like fish and tarantulas in captivity, compared with keeping highly evolved animals like chimps and dolphins are worlds apart IMO. I'm completely speculating here, but pretty sure those fish don't know any better...and are just as content as their wild brethren all the while getting free meals and not stressing over getting eaten by something bigger.