Fish crisp - first time use

ketchenany

Fish is fish.. if you like fish it doesn't matter much how you coat it. Lloyd took the last fish crisp I had in the cupboard last week... added some cracker flakes for chicken coating that Leah had in there, some flour from the can and various spices to make the minimal ingredients we had on hand to stretch and cover enough fillets for the four of us to eat one night out of the deep fryer. Was delicious... not quite as good as TJ's secret recipe, but if I shared that I'd be blacklisted further than I already am!

Have to mention our monthly fishfry of last summers perch and Pickerel I used crunched up cheezy Ritz crackers as coating and it turned out really well. We cooked up about 2 pounds of rather large Pickerel cheeks and that was a very special treat. I had a cheek burger with a slice of cheddar and a dollop of Tarter to die for.

Fish is fish.. if you like fish it doesn't matter much how you coat it. Lloyd took the last fish crisp I had in the cupboard last week... added some cracker flakes for chicken coating that Leah had in there, some flour from the can and various spices to make the minimal ingredients we had on hand to stretch and cover enough fillets for the four of us to eat one night out of the deep fryer. Was delicious... not quite as good as TJ's secret recipe, but if I shared that I'd be blacklisted further than I already am!

Did they have a run on Ritz crackers?

The way I look at the fried food thing is this. The great benefits of eating that oh so good for you fish far out weighs the bad of frying it in bread crumbs or flour based coating. So I'll call it a wash. That way I can have that double Big Mac as long as I eat a Yogurt in the morning and try and burn 1000 calories during that day.

A few years back I was invited to Wil Wegman's Last Ice Tournament off of Gilford... he did the Fish Crisp dusting then in an egg/beer wash then into some Italienne breadcrumbs but somehow he ran outa beer so he finished off the rest of the perch using gingerale in the wash...Tasted Great !

I have tried both gingerale or 7 UP in the egg wash with good results...

Not finding Fish Crisp in Bobcaygeon, I just dust with flour...

A few years back I was invited to Wil Wegman's Last Ice Tournament off of Gilford... he did the Fish Crisp dusting then in an egg/beer wash then into some Italienne breadcrumbs but somehow he ran outa beer so he finished off the rest of the perch using gingerale in the wash...Tasted Great !

I have tried both gingerale or 7 UP in the egg wash with good results...

Not finding Fish Crisp in Bobcaygeon, I just dust with flour...

Marks always has fish Crisp if you really are looking for it Beansie.

I stand corrected Canuck2fan, only 1/2 as bad. It's like saying I only drank 1/2 of a 40 pounder

That is still better than drinking a whole 26er though. It is all in ones perception.

If want to lower the glycemic hit just use brown rice flour with a bit of corn starch or corn meal with seasoning, to dredge, then the eggs and in the rice flour mix again. It is lighter tasting and lets the flavour of the fish come through. I make a gluten free mix this way and it works on chicken, pork chops and fish quite well. The trick is to coat and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the breading set.

I think I just learned the secret to solving a problem I have had. I tried for years to make something similar to a blooming onion that we get at the Outback. I got the flavors pretty much bang on but I could never get the batter to stick properly. After reading the above posts I am thinking that I should have refridgerated the onion to allow the batter to set before frying it. Got to give that one a try!

I think I just learned the secret to solving a problem I have had. I tried for years to make something similar to a blooming onion that we get at the Outback. I got the flavors pretty much bang on but I could never get the batter to stick properly. After reading the above posts I am thinking that I should have refridgerated the onion to allow the batter to set before frying it. Got to give that one a try!

It should help to refrigerate it.... The amount of moisture in the onion is going to make adhesion of the breading more difficult than fish or chicken.

I do make onion rings by soaking the rings in buttermilk overnight in the fridge. Drain the buttermilk off in a sieve coat with.

3/4 cup of flour

1/4 cup cornstarch

2 tbsp corn meal for crunch optional

1 tbsp lawrys seasoning salt

Refrigerate for 30 minutes then fry, if you don't refrigerate them coated it doesn't stick nearly as well.

Thanks Steve and Shane...but not having any wheels I don't get around to those places much any more...She who must be obeyed does not like me to drive her vehicle but she lets me pay for the insurance on it and fill it with gas...LOL

Beans there are a few recipes that use Soda water with egg for the wet mix.

Canuck2fan, I am always looking to prolong my glycemic response time for foods. I forgot about rice flour. It has to be better than white glue flour. Thanks.

You can really lower glycemic response with 2 supplements.

Fish oil

Whey protein isolate

I would follow the directions on the package it is not fine enough to make a batter out of....

Or if you prefer you can try thishttp://www.ontariofishing.net/fish-recipes/gerrittsbatter.html

Make sure to pat the fish dry if trying it.

Tomorrow is fish night for us, salt cod is on the menu.... Cant wait!

Edit for typos

amazing recipe! Thank you for sharing, I had a couple whities laying around in the freezer and thought I'd try this, awesome!

i have made hundreds,soak cut onion in water overnight to make plyable....mix your batter,,i use 60/40 flour breadcrumbs with prefferred seasonings...you need a big bowl,

put onion in bowl fight side up get flour mixture between all onion parts..tip upside down and pat excess off,put in egg mixture,repeat back to flour mixture.....

put onion down sideup in fryer and push down a few times good to bloom the onion....very important step.....when brown,flip and cook till all is golden brown

serve with chopped picklrd jalenos mixed into some miracle whip and a tad of lemon juice.....amazing