Fish crisp - first time use

ketchenany

I would follow the directions on the package it is not fine enough to make a batter out of....

Or if you prefer you can try this

http://www.ontariofishing.net/fish-recipes/gerrittsbatter.html

Make sure to pat the fish dry if trying it.

Tomorrow is fish night for us, salt cod is on the menu.... Cant wait!

Edit for typos

Edited by Gerritt

I would follow the directions on the package it is not fine enough to make a batter out of....

Tomorrow if fish night for us, salt cod is on the menu.... Can wait!

we have a couple times a year too! My wife sears it and then in a tomatoe sauce in the oven.

I like it poached with garlic olive oil and parsley and pepper.

Nice! We soak ours for 5 days, we do a bunch at a time and freeze till we are ready to use..

From there it is garlic (not the crap Chinese stuff) green onions and olive oil. We then add hot pimento sauce and let it get all happy together. Rice pilaf, or rough cut potatoes are usually served, along with a nice fresh baguette for dipping up the sauce from the fish.

One of my all time favorites!

G

Tomorrow is fish night for us, salt cod is on the menu.... Cant wait!

Edit for typos

Just checked out your recipe Gerritt. The 1/4 cornstarch...is that 1/4 cup or 1/4 tablespoon or whatever. I have never had a batter recipe that I am 100% happy with so I'd like to give it a go.

Just checked out your recipe Gerritt. The 1/4 cornstarch...is that 1/4 cup or 1/4 tablespoon or whatever. I have never had a batter recipe that I am 100% happy with so I'd like to give it a go.

1/4 cup.... Looks like I made an omission lol

You want a FANTASTIC batter, here is the best one I have ever made. it is nice and light (or heavy) depending on the amount of liquid you use.

1 cup all purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

1 Tbsp salad oil

1 cup water

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl add oil to water then pour into a well in the dry ingredients. Beat until well blended and smooth. Makes enough for about 1 kg of fish.

Pat the fillets dry, dip them into the batter, drain off any excess and deep fry until golden.

Over the years I have tried a lot of different batters, some pre made, beer batters, you name it. This one is a beautiful, light batter (but you can make it much thicker if you want, just cut back on the water).

Of all the ones I have ever tried this one is by far my favorite. You can add onion powder, garlic powder, or just about anything your heart desires to it if you want but I really like a light crisp batter that seals in the flavour and moisture of the fish, this one does that for me.

Half Parmesan Chez Half Original Fish Crisp. Perfect way to make something good for you, not so good for you.

Thx for the laugh Garnet.

You guys are killing me. Another one I'll have to try. The boss might not be happy when I make fish 3 times in one week :devil:

Truthfully with fresh...not frozen perch... my hands down favourite is plain old original Fish Crisp. With a squeeze of lemon and a few grinds of salt & pepper. With a side of Maple baked beans or homemade slaw.

You want a FANTASTIC batter, here is the best one I have ever made. it is nice and light (or heavy) depending on the amount of liquid you use.

1 cup all purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

1 Tbsp salad oil

1 cup water

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl add oil to water then pour into a well in the dry ingredients. Beat until well blended and smooth. Makes enough for about 1 kg of fish.

Pat the fillets dry, dip them into the batter, drain off any excess and deep fry until golden.

Over the years I have tried a lot of different batters, some pre made, beer batters, you name it. This one is a beautiful, light batter (but you can make it much thicker if you want, just cut back on the water).

Of all the ones I have ever tried this one is by far my favorite. You can add onion powder, garlic powder, or just about anything your heart desires to it if you want but I really like a light crisp batter that seals in the flavour and moisture of the fish, this one does that for me.

Pretty much the same as what I do, except I use beer instead of water. I find it crisps up better for some reason.

Thx for the laugh Garnet.

You guys are killing me. Another one I'll have to try. The boss might not be happy when I make fish 3 times in one week :devil:

Truthfully with fresh...not frozen perch... my hands down favourite is plain old original Fish Crisp. With a squeeze of lemon and a few grinds of salt & pepper. With a side of Maple baked beans or homemade slaw.

Always, always maple baked beans. ALWAYS!!!