Is Fishing Bad ??

Sour_Squirrel

Ever wonder why it's such a bad thing to be a person that fishes and lives in the big city (Toronto)?

Seems that when people find out that you fish they look at you like you're some sort of savage beast or animal killer. I know I'm not alone on this. But on the flip side there are so many anglers out there. Just look at how many people attend the Toronto Sportsman Show.

People's attitudes and acceptance of fishing is different in other cities as an example, Barrie and Belleville. Even while in Florida fishing is a big part of the lifestyle there.

Hmmm....

It's Toronto, that's all that can be said. Most big cities are like this. People are so far removed from nature it's sad really. Think that's bad, try mentioning you hunt. Where I live, people don't bat an eyelash when they see me working on my duckboat, or loading shotguns into my truck. Heck I cleans ducks and geese in plain sight in my driveway. I have lived in places that wouldn't go over very well. I couldn't live in a place like Toronto, although I did work there for years. I don't know how you do it!

People have such a skewed version of reality. I remember I was on a date with a girl once who told me that if I hunted or kept the fish this date wasn't going to work out. She said this as she took a bite into her factory farmed hamburger.

The girl I'm with now encourages me to keep fish and wants me to get into hunting. She actually won't let us buy meat unless she knows it was farmed ethicly.

The 20 years I lived in and around Toronto were just one big pain for one raised on outdoor living. I was called all sorts of unpleasant things when people found out I fished and hunted. Was called a Barbarian, amongst other things, while travelling the Red Rocket to urban fishing holes.

I just tried to make sure I was out of Toronto every possible weekend with family up in the Muskokas or Haliburton.

i live in toronto, people dont get upset by the fact that i fish, they are more in awe of the fact that I do fish and that I would spend time doing it.

I think not "enjoying the pass time" and "not agreeing with fishing" are two very different things.

My brother will fish for pickerel, but will complain if the bite isnt on the entire time. Other than that he cant really be bothered.

For him to get skunked would mean that he would give up and just not fish again for a while.

For me when i get skunked it makes me just fish more lol i get really obsessive compulsive with it.

at the end of the day most people dont fish because they find it boring, not so much barbaric.

I also think peoples perception of hunting is skewed by all of the publicity that game farms get. Personally i am hugely against killing anything that you arent going to eat, this includes fur trapping etc. but thats just my opinion.

Eat what you kill

Edited by AKRISONER

Everybody is different.

I have a buddy who makes fun of me cause I fish .... jokes about how boring it must be to just sit there and watch a bobber all day .... "backwards and un-civilized he calls it"

But he loves to run. You know, for exercise (whatever that is). Just goes out and runs around for an hour and comes back. Talk about boring!!!!

He also likes fancy coffee shops and wears skinny jeans. He's still my friend, but I feel bad for the poor fellow.

My wife always reminds me of the saying, "not wrong, just different". But somewhere inside of me I can't help feeling there IS something wrong with those city-dwelling, tree-hugging hipsters.

Everybody is different.

I have a buddy who makes fun of me cause I fish .... jokes about how boring it must be to just sit there and watch a bobber all day .... "backwards and un-civilized he calls it"

oddly enough, i find running is a lot like fishing...except for people that have to wear headphones to do it.

I personally get into the same trance that I get into while fishing solo.

Big City living...people inevitably become so disconnected from the natural world, can't really blame them for their ignorance. In a way it's a good thing, imagine if every person in the GTA went fishing/hunting - our wildlife resources would be in serious trouble...things are bad enough now. I say keep your head held high, be proud of your passion for the outdoors and who cares what other people think? Some of the best people I know are "Barbarians"

Lol around here its the exact opposite.

An old high school chum came here yesterday to check our water filters and seen my ice fishing gear out. Lol we got to talkin about fishing and he ended up staying for over an hour.

Made some plans for trout next week haha. Wonder how often something like that would happen in Toronto?

Edited by manitoubass2

Big City living...people inevitably become so disconnected from the natural world, can't really blame them for their ignorance. In a way it's a good thing, imagine if every person in the GTA went fishing/hunting - our wildlife resources would be in serious trouble...things are bad enough now. I say keep your head held high, be proud of your passion for the outdoors and who cares what other people think? Some of the best people I know are "Barbarians"

It's interesting, I'm actually of the opposite mindset. If more people fished in the GTA I feel as though there would be more money to create better city fishing possibilities. Remember a few years ago when Toronto shoreline fishing was banned? Thankfully it was annulled quickly but I feel like it would have never come up if there were a bigger GTA fishing community.

Groups are trying to stop fishing in Grenadier pond. Humber is going to extend the marshes and wetlands to become more like the Leslie Street Spit. Speaking of the spit, new marshes are being built in the cells. The Toronto islands are having a ton of work done.

Imagine if more people in the GTA fished? More money and projects for fishing opertunuties from the Credit River to Frenchmans bay. I feel like it would draw more people in rather then push them out.

My experience is that a very few people disapproved my fishing as a "red neck" pursuit, not the killing and eating fish part -tell that to the fly-fishers. My hunting, however, gets a broader reaction of disapproval ironically from meat eaters (make sure you miss, how can you kill bambi etc.) The only people I listen to who are anti-hunting or fishing are those that are true vegatarians and anti-killing of anything, except vegatables of course.

North versus South.

North:

Q: Where'd you catch those fish?

A: Up the river.

South:

Q: Where'd you catch those fish you cruel insensitive animal killing b-terd?

A: ... sigh,,,,

Just kidding. Actually can't remember ever having any issue North or South with the P3TA types.