Trailer brakes...I mean breaks!

Joeytier

Well, today was the day that poor my old 6x8 utility trailer decided to say enough is enough with friggin logging roads and snapped like a twig :(

D3CCBA07-CD7E-4503-BC2B-9D9E8811D245_zps

Managed to make the best of it, threw everything in the truck and still had an enjoyable day in the bush, but still a disappointment nonetheless.

2D7153EB-4C19-4475-911D-EC98EFFF8A17_zps

E52D96F0-A029-43E2-8941-E8EE9188C63A_zps

Let's hear about some of your trailer disasters!

Never had a disaster, once going to Lake Chautauqua in New York for a tournament the trailer came unhitched from my buddies truck, it just bumped his bumper though. My boat and trailer and he hooked it up, when I did it I cranked the leg down and applied pressure to make sure it was hooked up good, he didn't.

My buddy and his son took me fishing to a lake 70-75 miles away, I am disabled and only could handle a 30 - 45 minutes in the boat, I told them to just take me back to the ramp and I would sleep in the truck. Probably a good thing, I was walking past their trailer and notice 2 or 3 cross beams on their trailer had broken welds, and they were leaving for a trip to the French River the next weekend. They got it fixed before they left, a long way to travel with a glass bass boat with a 150 on the back.

A buddy lost an almost new Nitro on I-90 coming back from New York. Can't recall even having a flat on a trailer tire myself. Either lucky or alert? I tried to avoid hassles.

Fortunately I've never had a major problem with any of my trailers over the years. Although I have witnessed some pretty shoddy trailers zig zagging down the road. Scary when you see a trailer extremely overloaded to the point where the tongue is only 4" off the asphalt!

The first road trip this past spring, very first hook up. We pull out of the driveway make a right, make a left travel straight and I hear BOOM,BANG scrape. The receiver came of the ball and hammered my 3 year old Silverados tailgate. The tailgate is done for. It hit right at the crimped seam at the bottom. My body shop guy told me there is a slim chance he can get the seam straitened out right. I am told no way that can happen, I know it was on 100% as the lock went on. I guess it can happen right Ohio, I am still baffled how this happened. It's not like it happened after the first turn I was driving for a few klics and made a few 90 degree turns. Now I take 15 seconds and put the wheel down and crank out until the truck rises. I drove a 89 GMC beater for 5 years and never scratched it. Everytiume I see it I want to cry, this is the first vehicle I ever bought new, 44 years driving, with a license.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I witnessed a 30'+ boat slip off a guys trailer in a busy intersection blocking all lanes. His bright idea was to get a few pi$$ed off commuters to help push it back on the trailer. After I heard that, it was time to make a haisty retreat.

Edited by paul_614

A couple of things happened to us over the years; nothing major but they could have been.

A buddy and me when out of Port Colborne, launching from Sugarloaf. Everything was fine with the trailer on the way there; no unusual noises or clunks. When we go to leave, every time we would brake or pull away from a stop, I heard this clunk? Get out to check things and couldn't see anything wrong? Had my buddy try and pull ahead a bit and then hit the brakes. Holy crap the drawbar pin is missing and the only thing stopping it from coming right out is the safety chains.

Like I said everything was fine on the way there; we suspect that someone needed a pin and scooped ours? There's a locking pin on there now.

The next thing happened a couple of weeks ago coming back from St. Williams ice fishing. 16' enclosed tandem axle trailer with the snowmobile, fish hut and all my gear in; so it's not a heavy load. It was dark out, going down the Otterville road heading to hwy 19 and then the 401, the trailer starts shaking real bad; thought I had a flat? There's no shoulders on the side of this country road, so I had to drive a bit before I found a safe place to pull over. Before I got to a place the vibration stopped as quickly as it started? I get out to check and the left front wheel of the trailer is gone and nowhere to be found? All 5 of the wheel studs were broken off flush with the brake drum? Why it happened is a mystery; I just serviced the brakes and I used a torque wrench to tighten the wheel nuts to 80 Lbs?

I was lucky it happened where it did; but what if this happened 20 minutes later, doing 100kmp on the 401? I was able to get back to london on the 3 wheels; the next day all 20 of the wheel studs and nut were changed out on this old trailer.

Dan.

The first road trip this past spring, very first hook up. We pull out of the driveway make a right, make a left travel straight and I hear BOOM,BANG scrape. The receiver came of the ball and hammered my 3 year old Silverados tailgate. The tailgate is done for. It hit right at the crimped seam at the bottom. My body shop guy told me there is a slim chance he can get the seam straitened out right. I am told no way that can happen, I know it was on 100% as the lock went on. I guess it can happen right Ohio, I am still baffled how this happened. It's not like it happened after the first turn I was driving for a few klics and made a few 90 degree turns. Now I take 15 seconds and put the wheel down and crank out until the truck rises. I drove a 89 GMC beater for 5 years and never scratched it. Everytiume I see it I want to cry, this is the first vehicle I ever bought new, 44 years driving, with a license.

We drove from here to Lake Chautauqua in New York state before it happened, like 164 miles? My boat though was a bit tongue heavy on the hitch, that might have saved a real problem.

I was a truck driver for 30+ years, I can be a bit more dedicated to making sure things are connected properly, that was the only time I trusted the job to someone else, he had his own boat so he knows what he is doing? LOL

Crappy deal.

I had a uhual trailer pop off while traveling with a load down the 502(dryden highway)

I felt a pop and new right away something wasnt right. Quickly I just sense what was wrong and began what had to be the slowest decline in speed ever???

Sure enough, just as I come to the intersection I cam to a stop.

The trailer had jumped off the ball and was just held by the chains.

Good thing too because not only was that very dangerous, it was a brand new truck I had borrowed from my father in law!

Crappy deal.

I had a uhual trailer pop off while traveling with a load down the 502(dryden highway)

I felt a pop and new right away something wasnt right. Quickly I just sense what was wrong and began what had to be the slowest decline in speed ever

Sure enough, just as I come to the intersection I cam to a stop.

The trailer had jumped off the ball and was just held by the chains.

Good thing too because not only was that very dangerous, it was a brand new truck I had borrowed from my father in law!

Had the same thing happen back in the 80's doing 120 on the 401!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Had the same thing happen back in the 80's doing 120 on the 401!!! :w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Howah! I cant imagine that!

I was doing 90 and it felt like it took me 5km+ to stop. Or that brand new truck was getting rocked, along with our knecks...

I had no traffic around though. Which was a bonus

Edited by manitoubass2

we suspect that someone needed a pin and scooped ours? There's a locking pin on there now

I drilled the hole for the locking pin larger and use a padlock in it.

Unfortunate that we have to lock everything these days but sadly we share this planet with a whole bunch of garbage.