Winter

Fisherman

If I want to know what the weather is I go outside. Then it doesn't matter much because being on the lake what the temp here and what it is 1 KM from the lake may be 5C different. So really it is just an adjustment of the AC or heat in my vehicle. Just yesterday AM not a branch was moving here with a north wind. We have a woodlot to the north of us. I go 150 meters to Lakeshore Drive and there are 4 foot drifts and blowing like mad.

It may be dry here and 25K down the lakeshore to the Grand River and it's pouring at the golf course. Why I even bother to check the weather station I don't know. Anyone that happens to have a place on big water knows what I'm saying. There are sites I depend on greatly for wave height, looking on the beach has nada to do with what is going on 5 miles out Pickerel fishing.

Thats not bad.....its a dry cold! LOL

S.

Thats funny???

But its true

Ive worked in -45 in ontario and its like death. Touch metal and your screwed. Or much worse get deisel on ya.

-60 up in northern alberta and its still cold but you can still work. Sometimes the helly hanson gear was too warm.

hands are frigged regardless lol

Edited by manitoubass2

Dry cold at -50C is freeking cold dry or wet. I said the wrong thing to the wrong person at a meeting once and was given the task of organizing the winterization program, I was also given a airline ticket to Oulu Finland to investigate why they never shut down their plant due to freeze conditions some 45K south of the Artic circle. Of course it was in December. I have never felt cold like that -50C before in my life or since, Dry shmy, that's cold dry or not. If you are caught out in the wind and can't get shelter you die. Why anyone would choose to live in God forsaken places like that is beyond comprehension to me, but I know many, including some here on OFC that do, I just don't get it and I'm happy for someone that is happy too. No one I met in Finland that I asked if they really would rather live elsewhere only admitted they would after several hot Vodka and tar shooters. A frozen drunk never lies.

I discovered in 1 minute why nothing freezes in their plant at Rauuturuki Steel. Their entire systems are enclosed and meticulously kept from 18C to 20C, simple as that. I presented a paper on this at a Iron and Steelmaking convention way back when. I spoke for hours explaining how they did it and still made a profit, we can learn a few things from some very ingenious people around the world but don't.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Actually M2B2 I have to say south FLA's 28C is even damper than our 28C. It's Hell in a Hot Tub. My sis and brother in law live there and I nearly died one August a few years back when they were building a McMansion. Crews only worked from day break to around 10 or maybe 11AM, and I didn't blame them. I got the place done by splitting the crews up and we got a full 8 hours in by putting on a night crew on from 11 PM to 7 AM. Everyone wanted to be on nights after they tried it.

Sorry, call 911 there has been a hijacking.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

My dad grew up on a farm in Saskatchewan during the Depression and always told us the same story about being 40-50 below zero but because it was dry you didn't feel it too bad....I always told him he was nuts. :lol:

A scary story though was because of the insane blizzards and whiteouts they'd get with the winds howling across the prairies all winter, they'd run a rope from the house to the barn so they could find their way back & forth when they had to head out to feed & care for the animals.

Edited by lew

That puts me in mind of my two years in Victoria, BC.............even on days when it did not actually rain in the winter months, we had fog that rolled in with droplets. If you weren't being soaked vertically you were getting it horizontally. At the end of February 1974, I heard a radio announcement that the Greater Victoria Area had had something like FIFTY MINUTES of sunshine that month. Freakin' BRUTAL.

That puts me in mind of my two years in Victoria, BC.............even on days when it did not actually rain in the winter months, we had fog that rolled in with droplets. If you weren't being soaked vertically you were getting it horizontally. At the end of February 1974, I heard a radio announcement that the Greater Victoria Area had had something like FIFTY MINUTES of sunshine that month. Freakin' BRUTAL.

But it was a dry sunshine...

Just going with the sillyness?

It's a dry rain?? Best entertainment I've had in along time! I know from first hand experience that the dryer cold temps in Fort McMurray are more comfortable than -15 in southern Ontario. The work crews were outside many days in minus 40 temps. I was in a heated crane cab! LOL!

It's a dry rain?? Best entertainment I've had in along time! I know from first hand experience that the dryer cold temps in Fort McMurray are more comfortable than -15 in southern Ontario. The work crews were outside many days in minus 40 temps. I was in a heated crane cab! LOL!

Yep. I was usually around grande prie and as far north as nearlandia.

All really flat so in those colder temps we almost always dealt with strong winds as well. The temps were just silly but I dont remember ever shutting down because of the weather. In ontario we stopped at -40 no matter what.

I just finished up a big solar farm in NW ontario and workers complained at -15.

I was hot lol.

But I also where appropriate gear. Id rather be too warm then too cold thats for sure.

It's been fairly chilly... But it's also been mostly sunny with very little snow....

I'll take -15 or colder with a bluebird sky over 0 to -5 and snow every day....

I just can't get over how many people are so unprepared... Going around with no gloves or hat or boots or anything... What would happen if they get stuck or break down on a quite road...

If I'm not wearing heavy winter gear it's I'm my back seat...

It's been fairly chilly... But it's also been mostly sunny with very little snow....

I'll take -15 or colder with a bluebird sky over 0 to -5 and snow every day....

I just can't get over how many people are so unprepared... Going around with no gloves or hat or boots or anything... What would happen if they get stuck or break down on a quite road...

If I'm not wearing heavy winter gear it's I'm my back seat...

If you don't want to die up here you have a winter survival kit in your vehicle.

I have tow straps, tools, clothing, fire starting devices etc.

When on long trips in the winter in desolate places I carry food, drink, sleeping bag etc.

Everything needed to survive in an Arctic winter.

Mike and Drifter you are both bang on. We, my wife and I, have survival totes in each vehicle. Complete dry under and outer garments, thermal bib overalls, scarves, Yukon hats, Balaclava, Glazier glasses, dry socks, spare boots. Candles, candy bars and a box of carbs like crackers, water (ice) bottles, crank flashlight, crank radio, many lighters, toilet paper, compass, blanket and sleeping bag. Then the standard emergency stuff like highway flares and I stick my flare gun from the boat in my wife's emergency tote(that just doesn't sound right). And a good book. Those kids from Niagara Universities Women's Basketball team were stuck on the I-90 west of Buffalo for 30 hours in that dumping a few months ago.

All this is kept neatly in a large tote in the back seats, it's all useless locked in a trunk that is buried in snow. Did I miss anything?

When I go into Hamilton I'm asked what's with the tote and sleeping bag? They laugh when I tell them. We were pretty close to a real disaster after the game last night. We all gathered down the lakeshore at friends. If you did not, and 2 couples did not, have 4 wheel drive, the real deal with 4 low, you were not going anywhere after the game. I wake this AM and now that it's daybreak I see 6 foot drifts or more here. I ended up being designated driver and planned on shuttling folks down the lakeshore 5 miles or so and back. 5 at a time for 2 runs. After the first run with the 2 couples and myself I called where the party was held and told them I would not be back for the second load. No way I was making that run again, no way and no way should anyone of them should drive, I find out 1 idiot did. There's always 1. Buddy called at 7AM to say he has been plowing the 600 meter laneway with the 8N and his neighbor on the Davy Brown since 06:00 and they have maybe 100 meters done. My wife stayed there with the other 10 overnight guests. It sounds like she's back now. Yep safe and sound, maybe with a bit of a headache I bet!!! Those kids today.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Wife and I had to drive out to Brampton yesterday and I was't looking forward to the 100 odd mile drive back home with the 6" of snow they were calling for, along with all the usual insanity of the 401 across Toronto that comes with it.

We got lucky though and started the homeward trip at 3:00 before the snow started.

Even with the dry roads though, the insanity of the 401 was still there.