Mono musky leaders

bobkayla

Hello all,,,right now I am using flouro for my leader material that I make myself. I'm am though getting tired of the crazy price they charge for the stuff.

I am thinking of going to 150lb mono which is a fraction of the price.

I've never used mono before and worried about durability . Can't afford to be losing those expensive lures . Any feedback would be appreciated

I've been tying my own leaders for years. Get a coil of 150-200lb fluorocarbon leader material and some 300lb swivels. I use the perfection loop and have never had a failure.

I think he wants to use mono because of how cheap it is compared to flouro.

I've used it. In my mind not much different than the fluoro. Never had a failure with it, and at the price can afford to swap them out quite often. I especially like them for some topwater lures. .

Does mono float? (at least relative to flouro)

I've been tying my own leaders for years. Get a coil of 150-200lb fluorocarbon leader material and some 300lb swivels. I use the perfection loop and have never had a failure.

any preference on knot selection matt?

Bill M

"Floats a lot better then flouro does. This is what I use for leader when tossing topwater for bass."

And so do I ;)

Edited by AKRISONER

Does mono float? (at least relative to flouro)

I used to put dry fly dressing on my mono when using big minnows for bait, it kept the line from sinking in the lily pads and weeds as the minnow swam thru them, you could see where your line was and how much slack was in it.

I'm with Matt and agree that with the longevity of fluoro it actually makes them quite inexpensive. I make my own with 130 # Seaguar and crimp them and have never had an issue.

I only chase muskies 3-4 weeks a year now when I head north to Nippising but when I was pounding the water on a regular basis I'd make up new ones each year and keep the others as back-up.

I use around 8" for jerk/twitch baits and then 18" for casting and 48" for trolling.

Not saying fluoro is better than mono as I've never used heavy mono for leaders, but I just prefer to use what I know works well and don't find them expensive at all.

All a personal preferrence though.

I'm with Matt and agree that with the longevity of fluoro it actually makes them quite inexpensive. I make my own with 130 # Seaguar and crimp them and have never had an issue.

Ive been interested in making my own leaders for a while now. I kind of like Fluro a lot more than steel, but at 10 bucks per leader it seems like a worthwhile investment. Plus, then i get to select the swivel id like to use. I find that the berkley pretied glued leaders are just way way overboard, the steel is as thick as the line.

I keep seeing everyone talk about crimping...any suggestion on products that you would recommend? Whats the best bang for buck and where to grab em?

I keep seeing everyone talk about crimping...any suggestion on products that you would recommend? Whats the best bang for buck and where to grab em?

I bought a whole bunch of them a few years back and no longer have the package they came in and honestly can't remember the name of them, but whatever you get just be sure their the correct size for the diameter of fluoro your using. Don't know where your located but I used to buy all my materials from JB's in Etobicoke.

I bought a whole bunch of them a few years back and no longer have the package they came in and honestly can't remember the name of them, but whatever you get just be sure their the correct size for the diameter of fluoro your using. Don't know where your located but I used to buy all my materials from JB's in Etobicoke.

good to know, ill be making a trip there on my bike come spring!

Longer leaders for trolling does a few things:

1. Gives the lure more action

2. Gives much more snag resistance, as braid will cut very quickly along rocks. I learned this the hard way on pigeon, lost a perchbait.

3. Can give a bit more stretch on the strike, providing a better hook set (which also depends on the rod that you are using)

4. For those who believe it makes a difference, makes the line more visible.

I use long leaders mainly for the snag resistance, by that I mean that they are less likely to break if shagged on the bottom.

Edited by Roaring Dan Seavey

Hey Lew. Interested in why you use a 48 in leader for trolling

Like anything else Peter, it's just a personal preference and just a length I find works well for me. Some guys use longer leads and some only use about 12".

Ask 10 guys and you'll probably get 10 different opinions LOL

My fluoro muskie trolling leaders are between 36" and 48". If tying your own, don't trim the tag end of the knot or loop at the mainline (swivel) end. Leave a half inch leg sticking out at perpendicular to the line. This will pick up any weeds headed for your bait and you'll be able to fish much longer between bait cleanings.

Roy covered it above... catches weeds and lets the bait continue to "move" in it's proper wobble. On Georgian bay with shoals and Zebra muscles the long leader helps with lost baits. 100lb power pro / stealth or what ever you are using will cut clean as a knife when it hits these shells instantly... the fluorocarbon or heavy mono leaders take a bit more abuse.