cooking thread...

Here's something I found about freezing the fish before going into the brine.

It does apply more so for cold smoked fish and not so important for hot smoking.

Dan.

Fresh salmon and previously frozen salmon are not equals when it comes to cold smoking salmon. Freezing actually benefits the cold smoked salmon in a couple of ways.

• Freezing Ruptures Cell Membranes
  • Freezing Kills Parasites

As the salmon freezes, the liquid in the cells expands, causing the cell walls to rupture. When thawed, liquid drains readily from the flesh, meaning there's less water for the brine to remove.

Freezing also kill parasites. One week at minus ten degrees Fahrenheit kills parasites that would otherwise survive brining and cold smoking. To be safe, deep-freeze cold smoked salmon that has been prepared from fresh, never frozen fish.

Quote taken from the below link.

http://www.smoker-cooking.com/coldsmokedsalmon.html

Edited by DanD

Well time for that wrap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BACON WRAP that is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :canadian:

DSCF3146_zpsvtlbbc2g.jpg

And back in the happy oh merry container for an hour,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,more happy happy :D

DSCF3147_zpssutcxcek.jpg

Since were having baked taters, might as well make some BACON bits from the left over BACON,for toppings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCF3150_zps5firtt6x.jpg

DSCF3151_zpsmgyes6bb.jpg

Smells so darn good in here right now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :good:

Well time for that wrap,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,BACON WRAP that is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :canadian:

DSCF3146_zpsvtlbbc2g.jpg

And back in the happy oh merry container for an hour,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,more happy happy :D

DSCF3147_zpssutcxcek.jpg

Since were having baked taters, might as well make some BACON bits from the left over BACON,for toppings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DSCF3150_zps5firtt6x.jpg

DSCF3151_zpsmgyes6bb.jpg

Smells so darn good in here right now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :good:

Man that looks good

Man that looks good

Thanks bud.

The soldiers are at ease now. Indirect heat at 250 for 1.5 hrs. Food of art. Or is that, Art of food.

When they get to the grill time, I will squeeze some fresh lime on them.

DSCF3155_zps0a1fqrsv.jpg

Edited by Brian B

This will be on my to do.

Thanks Matt

While is was cooking away, change of plans. Decided to whip up a tazikie (sp?), throw some peppers on the grill and have it on a bun with just a salad. Baked taters will be a tater salad monday.

Call me quick draw.LOL

Done and oh so good.

DSCF3156_zps1avxxkne.jpg

Leftover,s, will be on a soft taco shell for mondays dinner. :canadian:

Nothing wrong with good leftovers.

I'm not much for telling stories; but here's a few pics of the pig roast, that my son held at his place and I cooked with him. I've had my own spit for 25 or more years and I usually cook for one or two roasts a year; either pork or beef and have a great time doing it.

Here we have the pig on the spit, all rubbed in with a dry rub that my wife makes up for me. Sorry not allowed to tell what's in it; happy wife happy life. LOL

IMG_0979_zpsqhaby7oy.jpg

Here's our set up for the day. The barrel on the right is the burn barrel where we make the apple wood coats.

IMG_0987_zpssojlgp9u.jpg

This is about 2 hours in; slowly bringing the temperature up to around 200° spit temp.

IMG_0988_zps89xualxv.jpg

Here you can see a small pot inside the spit; its filled with apple wood pellets. Just to make sure the the smoke flavor has a chance to penetrate the skin and get into the meat itself.

IMG_0992_zps8bhh1sgd.jpg

Here's hour 12 and the internal temps are just reaching the 160-170° mark and ready to come off the heat.

IMG_1003_zpsdoii89iv.jpg

Now this is illiterately a pig in a blanket.

It's how I let it stand for about an hour and half. That allows the juices to be reabsorbed into the meat and and cools enough to handle the meat without burning our hands.

IMG_1004_zpsa7jw4fpg.jpg

OK its almost carving time.

I know all the charred skin doesn't look all that appealing; but wait till you see whats under that.

IMG_1011_zpsss6cbwcj.jpg

Here you go; nice and juicy.

IMG_1030_zpsteegsxgj.jpg

IMG_1032_zps0pd4bzba.jpg

Then there were people asking me why I wasn't hungry after carving; well I had to sample some, for the sake of the guests. LOL

IMG_1042_zpsdxzoy3tq.jpg

Yea that's me sitting down after an 18 hour day. Tired yes but spending the day with my son and doing this together was great!

IMG_1053_zpsgjww4hga.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

Great roasted beast Dan. DROOL

Now that I have time, heres what I did for last nights BBQ

One bunch of chilantro chopped

3 gloves of garlic minced- put in the bowl
3 tbl spoons of smoke pepperika- put in the bowl
3 lemons
3 limes
squeeze the lemons and limes and grate the skins for zest - into the bowl
1 tlb spoon of sweet chille.
salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together in a bowl
Take 3 boneless chicken breasts. Slice into 1" strips.
Scewer the chicken. 2 pieces per scewer.
Lay the chicken in a container and cover with the mix I mentioned above.
Let sit in the fridge for 1 hour. Mix them up and back in the fridge for another hour.
Take out and wrap eash one with bacon. Mix them back in the mixture and back in the fridge for another hour.
Get BBQ warmed up to 275 deg.
This is going to be cooked indirect heat. One side hot,one side cold.
Lay the wrapped chicken on the cold side. Allow to cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. Then transfer over to the hot side to put a grill on them.
DONT OVER COOK, CHICKEN WILL DRY OUT.
Remove and tent.
The sauce that I make is the following.
MAKE THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU START THE ABOVE.
Small container of sour cream, put into a small mixing bowl.
Add pepper and salt.
Grate 2 cloves of fresh garlic into it.
Grate as much cucumber as you like. I use half of one.
A squeeze of half a lemon. ( dont get seeds in it) Just saying.LOL
Take 2 green onions and chop fine.
Mix this all together.
In the fridge til time.
So remove the chicken from the scewers and place on a plate. Cover with the sauce.
Baked tater and salad with this is very fresh.
Hope you try this. I have done it a few times and the scent and aroma is UNREAL.
When Im not fishing, Im cooking sumthin.
Edited by Brian B

Extra lean is the way to go.

No matter how many times I makes this, it,s always oh oh so good

You know the routine

The wrap

DSCF3159_zps1r9vt1gi.jpg

The cooked and basted. Brown suger and pepper,buttered steamed yams. Savoy cabbage was on the stove.

DSCF3160_zpsw5vkuqpd.jpg

DSCF3162_zpsrz0fyxbk.jpg

DSCF3163_zpshqlgdcvh.jpg

Then flame to finish it off and the finish.

DSCF3165_zps6ady8lur.jpg

DSCF3167_zpswbg8kxbf.jpg

Yup a repeat, but worth another post IMO. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_20160729_154431.jpg

Some jerk chicken wings on my new weber smokey Joe, nice little charcoal grill I picked up for camping the other week, it's great!

Looks more like drums, but who cares, it,s jerk chicken.

Where did you get the grill?

Looks more like drums, but who cares, it,s jerk chicken.

Where did you get the grill?

Ya drumsticks/chicken wings all the same to me haha, I picked this one up off Kijiji for $30, they sell in home depot for $54, they work like a charm though! First time ever cooking with charcoal and I enjoy it quite a bit, adds great flavour too

Hank has a bias! His hand is in the cookie jar of propane sales for Arlen Texas!

All kidding aside, propane is easier, light up and meat is on the grill 5 minutes later (in most cases)

With the charcoal you need to set aside 15-30 mins in order to make sure she gets up to temp.

Anyone looking into getting one I would highly recommend getting this to accompany it, will help get your coals get setup in 15mins without any lighter fluid or mucking about worrying if it's starting to catch or not

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000689192.html?eid=PS_GO_140203__ALL_PLA-526641&pid=1000689192&gclid=CNubkoPQo84CFQcOaQody9cBiQ

Edited by Lucas F

Nice to meet ya Doug akashag!!!

Many thanks for the company, the breakfast and the canned moose!

I hope ya enjoy the smoked sturgeon I brought for ya!

Safe travels my friend and I look forward to sharing a boat with you in the future?

20160807_093950_zpspfzy4tzc.jpg

20160807_092616_zpspeichclg.jpg

(Notice the OPP in the backround????)

Miigwich

backatcha, Rick! It was really nice to put a face to a name and shoot the breeze, And yes we had some of the smoked sturgeon last evening for an appetizer, it is DELICIOUS!!!!!

Sorry we did not get a chance to do some cooking and FISHING,,,,,,,,,,,,, next time!

Doug