cooking thread...

Doug call me when you get to Cayuga, then I'll fire up the oil, Ticha's taking a well deserved nap, she's all fished out. Sometimes I think I live with a puppy, sleep all day and then get ready for bed, those youngins.

Tempura asparagus from a lady that grows it in her yard in Port Dover to go with it, 3 bucks for a huge bunch, come on man, what do you say?

Rick, this thread may have set a record for the longest ever and most posts on OFC, 116 pages, is it Spiel? Do you get a prize besides all the great recipes?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Doug call me when you get to Cayuga, then I'll fire up the oil, Ticha's taking a well deserved nap, she's all fished out. Sometimes I think I live with a puppy, sleep all day and then get ready for bed, those youngins.

Tempura asparagus from a lady that grows it in her yard in Port Dover to go with it, what do you say?

Rick, this thread may have set a record for the longest ever and most posts on OFC, 116 pages, is it Spiel? Do you get a prize besides all the great recipes?

I believe that goes to the "what song are you listening to now" thread???

Yeah spiel/art/tj or someone send me a hat for frig sakes lol

Doug, did you see that smoked sturgeon I posted?

Youll have to try some when ya get here

Indeed I did Rick.

Yes I have eaten this before, it is good stuff.

Now if we catch a bunch of whitefish and if you have a smoker, we could can a batch of smoked whitefish, it is the BEST!!!

Doug

20160529_153157_zpsdavk4kpz.jpg

Im guessing many here have not tried this.

Its pure delight in your mouth. My wifes cousin gifted it to us today, and I am very thankful!

2 or 3 times a year he drops these off and Im like a kid on christmas!

OMG I'm drooling Rick, and of course I've never even tried it. :) I love smoked fish, my Big Chief smoker has had many varieties through it. Even bullhead once. By far the best came from Arctic Char. I worked for First Air for over ten years and one of the perks was access to frozen whole char from the north at a real nice price. Delivered for free. Excellent grilled as steaks. Store bought just doesn't compare...

Cheers

Last nights meal. A 3.25 lb boneless inside hip roast for the smoker.

Rubbed down in a home made blend of Texas style spices and now bathing in a 70/30 mix of hickory and mesquite smoke.

13329460_1603394016587993_72214752470153

13323633_1603394023254659_27968524629825

13320446_1603394019921326_68086320368364

Your basic meat, potato and veg dinner. Your Mom's mashed potatoes, carrots in butter lemon and dill. But my oh my that smoked piece of medium rare beef was to die for. After resting for an hour the juices were drizzled over the plated meat........ *drool*

13308643_1603444193249642_71867501547141

13308628_1603444189916309_22123628983943

13320462_1603444196582975_24386055904898

Roy would have the answer to that, I believe it was a thread in the very early days of OFC.

6LB Porkloin roast

Marinated over night in golden Italian  dressing with fresh garlic a touch of franks extra hot few other spices

low temp on BBQ smoke box for an 1 1/2

Posted Image

Half way through

Posted Image

Ready for a brown sugar soya sauce muster glaze

Posted Image

I just hooked up another new Q yesterday, at $160.00 for 75K BTU I couldn't pass up that deal. I went to our local butchers on HWY 3 in Cayuga, Hansen's Meats west of the river on the north side past Kohler Rd. and bought 2 Henderson Burgers, 22 ounce T Bones each. One I did with just Montreal Steak Spice and Worcestershire and 1 Steak Florentine style, simple dash of sea salt, cracked black pepper and EVO, when done slice the steak up and put it back together then a bit more sea salt and EVO. Simple, as simple as possible when I do a good steak.

They fed all 4 of us with left overs for plenty of steak hash this AM, and more leftovers. You can't Christen a new BBQ with wieners.

My wife said now keep it that clean. No way, that black stuff on a BBQ is taste enhancement.

If anyone is out in this area you have to try anything from Hansens. It is all local grown Beef, Pork and Chicken, Rabbit too sometimes. The difference in taste than the super markets is worth the slight price difference. All meat can be cut to suit. Great sausages too. There Larry do I get a discount?

Edited by Old Ironmaker

I just hooked up another new Q yesterday, at $160.00 for 75K BTU I couldn't pass up that deal. I went to our local butchers on HWY 3 in Cayuga, Hansen's Meats west of the river on the north side past Kohler Rd. and bought 2 Henderson Burgers, 22 ounce T Bones each. One I did with just Montreal Steak Spice and Worcestershire and 1 Steak Florentine style, simple dash of sea salt, cracked black pepper and EVO, when done slice the steak up and put it back together then a bit more sea salt and EVO. Simple, as simple as possible when I do a good steak.

They fed all 4 of us with left overs for plenty of steak hash this AM, and more leftovers. You can't Christen a new BBQ with wieners.

My wife said now keep it that clean. No way, that black stuff on a BBQ is taste enhancement.

If anyone is out in this area you have to try anything from Hansens. It is all local grown Beef, Pork and Chicken, Rabbit too sometimes. The difference in taste than the super markets is worth the slight price difference. All meat can be cut to suit. Great sausages too. There Larry do I get a discount?

I get all mine off a local guy too hate the prices and food colouring in sobey's etc

Ah Rodbender, Fergit aboud it. I'm drooling. That suckling Pig of Speils has a cheek with my name on it. I sure most have had it here but if you haven't the cheek on a pig is the most tender piece of Pork you have ever had, bar none.

Extra large Ontario Pasta Ravioli tonight with the Veal and Pork ribs pasta sauce I made today until the bones fell off. She better get home soon or all the meat will be gone. Don't forget the "scarpetti" translation "little shoe" to sop up the sauce off the plate at the end. Toasting some Chibatta or any good bread, no Dempsters etc, take a piece of Garlic and rub it on the toasted bread, drizzle some EVO and voila, real deal garlic bread. A sprinkle of Oregano too as well as some grated Parm and you have Bruschetta. Bruschetta in Italian simply means toast.

Now what salad shall I invent tonight. I have an heirloom tomato.

That suckling Pig of Speils has a cheek with my name on it. I sure most have had it here but if you haven't the cheek on a pig is the most tender piece of Pork you have ever had, bar none.

Sadly that's not my pig JD, it was me quoting Freshtrax's post. ;)

Ah Rodbender, Fergit aboud it. I'm drooling. That suckling Pig of Speils has a cheek with my name on it. I sure most have had it here but if you haven't the cheek on a pig is the most tender piece of Pork you have ever had, bar none.

Extra large Ontario Pasta Ravioli tonight with the Veal and Pork ribs pasta sauce I made today until the bones fell off. She better get home soon or all the meat will be gone. Don't forget the "scarpetti" translation "little shoe" to sop up the sauce off the plate at the end. Toasting some Chibatta or any good bread, no Dempsters etc, take a piece of Garlic and rub it on the toasted bread, drizzle some EVO and voila, real deal garlic bread. A sprinkle of Oregano too as well as some grated Parm and you have Bruschetta. Bruschetta in Italian simply means toast.

Now what salad shall I invent tonight. I have an heirloom tomato.

Try rubbing a ripe tomato on to the toasted garlic bread, the same way you would rub the garlic on the toast.

HH

I did the kids dirty tonight for my sons bday??? we fished 3 lakes, theough a few hard rainfalls and hail.

The end result is what I call the dirty plate(this is the first time the kids were in the boat so they finally know what it is lol)

Walleye, pike, perch and crappie. All breaded and seasoned and cooked in oil with burnt potatoe crisps.

This is a pic of a kids plate...

20160606_173312_zpsxecywcww_edit_1465257

Edited cause doug is creepy

Edited by manitoubass2