cooking thread...

So what is a good simple way of brining chicken breasts or small whole chickens

Thx in advance

Sorry meant to actually reply. Salt water is how to brine. Basically the salt helps to hydrate the meat which is counter intuitive but works if you give it enough time. You vary the salt level based on how long you are brining. Also whatever extra flavours you add the salt will help them penetrate the meat. Lots of options. Herbs, citrus, stocks, wine, beer. etc. they are no rules just preferences.

Edited by Consigliere

It's a coincidence but I had to stop reading this thread. Since I did I dropped 10 pounds I swear on the graves of my ancestors.

Rick 2 dozen heirloom tomats would cost me a weeks pension around here. The succo looks great. Try the giant shells and stuff them with the gravy and bake them covered in Bocconcini, not that silicone sealant they call Mottzarella in Ontario. With heirlooms they deserve the best cheese. It isn't cheap that's why you need to learn how to make it. It's easy peasy. I bet Mom might know how. I make it every 3 months or so.

I love it when they raise the prices of meat equal to the price of gold, then drop it by 50% and we scammer for the "deals". Just like gas this AM. Line ups in town at 06:00. Yea I know what 6AM looks like once and a while.

I have scored on eye of round this year a few times and sliced into steaks and did the 100% virgin olive oil marinade I learned here on this thread. 3 days covered 100% in PVO. It works, as tender as inside round, not NY strip but still amazing for that cut. Made a wicked Beef Bourginon (sic) and Hungarian Goulash. Great for Philly Cheese Steaks too.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

mr blizzard, Bocconcini is simply Tim Bit sized Mottzarella. They also make mini Bocconcini. The real deal Mottz. It's really the only thing to put on Pizza. Saputo Cheese out of Montreal manufactures it for pizzerias, restaurants and retail sales. I hope you can try it there on the top side of the world. Always a must for a good antipasti, drizzled in EVO.

Does anybody here have a really good slow cooker? I have had several, the latest being a Black and Decker which is highly inconsistent, to say the least. I have had it two years and it almost always disappoints. The high is too high and the low is too low it seems. After eight hours on low yesterday, the diced Vidalia onions in my moose dish were not even cooked.

Any recommendations? I don't mind spending money for good quality.

Doug

Yup, winter is coming lol, if u cant bring home any fish gotta come up with plan B lol

Learned a lot from bbquin, growing vegetables to cook and bbq along with many great ways of preparing different kinds of dishes that we have never tried before....burp!!!!!!!!excuse me

ROY share one of your famous cooking/bbquin recipies

Rick with all those mouths to feed I have no idea how real Mozzarella can be in your budget. It's about a buck a Tim Bit size piece from the store, that's why I make my own. That would be 20 bucks in just cheese for 2 pizzas. Please review my budget for me, you are doing something right.

Never ask a thin man his opinion on food. I am going to say something here that won't be taken well.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Yes one more thing, no one has a right to question how someone can afford food items for their family, some of us are doctors, lawyers pilots labourers, framers plumbers store employees, mechanics etc, no one is forcing anyone to make what they see on this thread for dinner if you don't like it don't make it

This thread has got my wife and I through some very challenging times

PLEASE DONT TURN THIS ONE SIDEWAYS FOR THOSE OF US WHO ENJOY IT

Thank you,,,NOW BACK TO THE RECIPES

OI,

My family owns a deli, huge bonus lol. But its in the states I dont visit often.

As for money, Ive worked hard and been smart.

And yes I agree, my dishes look like dog food????

In fact, thats what my dogs eat lol

Mr blizzard, agreed! But OI (if thats who you are referring to)

Hes a bud of mine and a great guy with a sense of humour. Hes just old???

Oh crap, do we have beef in the cooking thread????

Cheers all. Expecting severe t storms tonight or possible tornadoes,so just a quick fish fry with beans and spuds before the lights go out???

Edited by manitoubass2

Our mozza is with with buffalo/cows milk.

I prefer 48 to 50% fat content(higher content of fat from buffaloes milk)

Gotta mature at least 2 days, preferably 3

Mmmmmmm. Soooo darn soft its like a treasure in your mouth!

Not like the processed hard stuff you find in most grocery stores