cooking thread...

Yes I have canned more deer than I have moose. It has been a long time since I shot a moose and I depend on the goodness of a buddy from the Golden Lake FN to get me some moose meat every year.

Doug

Yeah, i depend on my wifes cousin too but hes a savage hunter and almost a moose every year. Deer no prob. I could ask him now and have one by morning lol.

Hows it taste?

Im very curious because these "types of food" I usually fall in love with.

Im trying to imagine it but I really cant lol. Is it almost like a tender jerky?

I am not usually at a loss for words, but it is hard to describe a taste sometimes. Canned moose (and other red meats, done from raw) have a fairly rich taste, kind of like a concentrated taste of what the cooked meat would be like, done in an oven. The texture is soft but not mushy, but can be stringy. One almost always needs a toothpick afterwards because oftentimes some pieces will get stuck in your teeth. Jerky is generally sweeter, saltier, smokier, and drier and no, it is not a comparable taste at all.

MOST of the time when I can raw meat I do it to save freezer space and to extend the life of the meat. Moose in the freezer starts to lose its flavour in about six months, or less than that if it is wrapped in butcher paper. Canning the meat extends its life by several years, and of course requires no refrigeration so it is a good thing to bring along for camping, etc. You can eat it cold right out of the jar, or make a stew or soup with it, or any number of quick dishes.

Doug

I am not usually at a loss for words, but it is hard to describe a taste sometimes. Canned moose (and other red meats, done from raw) have a fairly rich taste, kind of like a concentrated taste of what the cooked meat would be like, done in an oven. The texture is soft but not mushy, but can be stringy. One almost always needs a toothpick afterwards because oftentimes some pieces will get stuck in your teeth. Jerky is generally sweeter, saltier, smokier, and drier and no, it is not a comparable taste at all.

MOST of the time when I can raw meat I do it to save freezer space and to extend the life of the meat. Moose in the freezer starts to lose its flavour in about six months, or less than that if it is wrapped in butcher paper. Canning the meat extends its life by several years, and of course requires no refrigeration so it is a good thing to bring along for camping, etc. You can eat it cold right out of the jar, or make a stew or soup with it, or any number of quick dishes.

Doug

Doug, I have had naval beaf on several ocasions and loved it, would moose and venison work well done like that? Have you ever tried it and if so, how long would it keep?

I do not believe I would care much for that stuff, no offence to anybody that might like it.

Tastes differ. Like, I love pan-fried deer and moose liver, and I cook deer and moose hearts several ways, all of them delicious. But lots of guys will not eat organ meat. I get that, and I get the fact that not everybody likes the same stuff. I don't see myself eating brined beef any time soon............

...........so back to Cliff, I do have a buddy who makes "corned beef" out of venison and he loves the stuff. But I have never tasted it and I am not likely to do so.........

Doug

I've seen plastic pails of cured naval beef at Food Basic and maybe Sobey's here In town.

Becarefull what you buy. Pick up the bucket and shake it. If you hear ratteling, put it back. A good brined beef is in brine only, no salt pellets in it.

I just spent over an hour perusing the first 30 pages of this thread, 28 more to go. Dang I love this thread.

Thanks to all who have participated and contributed. I've learned, drooled and anticipate an ever growing waste line.....

Spiel, we have been blessed with some amazing contributers including u, there is some basic qualities for fishing, hunting, gardening, preserving, cooking, smoking, curing, canning and just plain lip smaking I want some more lol recipies, been an amazing thread. I have learned and been blessed 100 fold,, burp, excuse me

We have grown, hunted, fished many things and turned them into many delicious recipies

When I was into home canning, I made a spiced plum sauce that was excellent with wild game, had cloves in it as well as some other spices. Beat the crap out of that plum sauce you get in the Oriental Food section of the grocery store that is actually made with pumpkin instead of plums.

edit : this is close to what I am talking about, great with duck, goose, lamb , venison , all darker meats

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/spicy-plum-sauce

Edited by dave524

That looks good Dave. Here's a recipe I got many years back from a big Recipes Only hardcover book. We liked it so much that I adapted it to canning. The original called for damson plums but any will work. We always have it with pork tenderloin but it would work well with game. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pork-tenderloin-with-spiced-plum-sauce

Cheers