cooking thread...

We had ourselves another feed of jambalaya last night, but I had to make it with chicken instead of fish and shrimp. We also had sides of home made mac salad and slaw. The Mrs won't touch fish!!! I made us a 10lb pot of the stuff and there wasn't a scrap left over. A lot of stuffed bellies all around, and the house still smells like a gas plant this morning.

Last nights dinner of yum.
A platter full of brined (thanks to Headhunter I don't think I'll ever go back to unbrined chicken) and BBQ'd chicken breasts with grilled zucchini, sweet potato and yes, turnip. Along with some butter/paprika fried cabbage.

11885172_1514359615491434_53992734510343

11217529_1514359618824767_65524751420111

Brining chicken makes a huge difference because of the way chicken is raised now. A free range grass fed ethically raised bird does not need to be brined because they actually have flavour.

I agree.

It seems all the meats/ poultry bought these days need something to entice the taste.

Thats why I like anything wrapped in bacon.LOL

So what is a good simple way of brining chicken breasts or small whole chickens

Thx in advance

John

I have a simple thing I do. ( added to my pops great chicken breasts )

When I want a full flavor, I do breasts with bone in. I will do boneless if I want to stuff them.

Grab a large zip lock bag. Fill it with 4-6 breasts. Squezze 4 large lemons and 2 limes and 1 orange over then. Throw all the squezzed out fruits in the bag when done. Add chopped onion and fresh cilranto,sea salt,pepper corns, Seal it and let get happy happy for 12 hours. You can do it for 24 hours, but you are really cooking the meat then. Acid will do that. Throw on the grill and just brush the breast as you are cooking them with the left over juice. I,ll be doing some this weekend. Stay tuned. SIDES WILL BE BACON CHEESE AND GREEN ONION FILLED BAKED TATERS AND TACO SALAD, LOL

Oh, and leave the skin ON the breasts. :worthy:

Lol jalapeño poppers, I had them this past weekend at a friends BBQ and saw the ingredients at the grocery store on sale so I made them up... Quick and easy I had 5 whole peppers to myself... Woops

Share what you did Luc.

I get the ones from M&M MEATS. Ya they are premade, but not bad.

And we all know anything wrapped in bacon is soooooo much better.LOL

Share what you did Luc.

I get the ones from M&M MEATS. Ya they are premade, but not bad.

And we all know anything wrapped in bacon is soooooo much better.LOL

Picked up a pack, cut the biggest ones in half took out the seeds.

Mixed up about 2-3 tbsp of cream cheese with mozza (recipe called for cheddar but I had mozza at home lol) with a hand blender, spooned in the cream cheese flattened it just above the surface of the cut in the pepper

Pre cooked the bacon about halfway so it was still able to be wrapped around, heated up the BBQ to 400 and they went on the top rack for 15 mins! Bacon got nice and crispy peppers got soft but not mushy

Also to note you can sort of press the bacon onto the cheese and it'll hold it into place took me all of 10 mins to prepare and was a great app for me to wait at home with till the gf was home for dinner (turkey lettuce tacos)

20150819_190105_zps7v4djkwc.jpg

Boring plate but super tasty and lotsa work!

My italian mother is down staying with us and its friggen cooking time lol.

I shoulda took pics of the process but she wasnt having it?

I baked/broiled about 20-25 hierlooms with just some salt, cracked black pepper, garlic and basil. Cooked about 6 or 7 hours then smashed.

My mom was busy making homemade garlic infused breadsticks.

Once my sauce was ready i cooked two lbs of moose burger with some sea salt and garlic.

We just used baged shells for the pasta

Then i added some parma to the sauce and sundried tomatoe.

She buttered and broiled her fresh breadsticks with butter and parma

Stick to the ribs delicious!

She called it shelled moose???

Edited by manitoubass2