cooking thread...

From Mr Blizzard,

BRIAN/A GIFT FROM THE NORTH....

Brian, in honour of u showing us how to weave bacon and proving you can wrap a ? around a ?, when I saw this sticker I thought of you.

God only knows? we were all trying to do the weave?

FullSizeRender-20_zpsylhtqvgs.jpg

Edited by manitoubass2

Sorry, would not swap canned moose for smoked trout. I have been smoking trout, salmon, and other stuff for about thirty-five years, and yes including the west coast style "candy."

But if you are smoking your own fish, rather than let it cook fully in the smoker, take it out when it is still partly raw (rare), remove and discard the skins, then pressure can it. The pressure canning drives the smoke flavour through every molecule of your smoked fish. The texture is still good after canning, it doesn't turn out mushy, but of course it is not chunks like cold-smoked fish, with the skin on.

Doug

Easy to do, Brian, but I ONLY know how to use pressure canners and all of my advice would be for pressure canners. People do use the water bath canning method (which has been around for decades, and only accounted for a few hundred thousand deaths or so.....) but I do not know how to do that and as you might suspect, I consider it dangerous for anything except jams and jellies kind of idea. I KNOW that in Newfoundland, for example, just about everybody bottles their moose and rabbit using the water bath method, but......................

So yes I would be happy to scribble a few notes on both.

Doug

I KNOW that in Newfoundland, for example, just about everybody bottles their moose and rabbit using the water bath method, but......................

Ya that I know and have had the chance to taste, but never seen how it was done. Most of the ones (well all really ) that did it are all gone on to the next stage of life above. The ones that did it the way, back then.

Thanks Doug

OK guys just so you know, since this thread started I have gained 32 lbs. Now, as of next spring, the plan is for Sue and I to buy our motor home and come and visit each and every one of you nut jobs and fish with and cook with as many of you as we can! :whistling:

Well let's start with deer, moose, and Canada Goose, all of which use the same method (and you could do beef for sure, caribou, elk, and similar red-meat critters) NOTE THIS RECIPE IS FOR RAW MEAT, NOT COOKED. COOKED MEAT REQUIRES VERY DIFFERENT CANNING.

Clean any bits of blood, bone, feathers, etc, and as much fat as you can off the cuts you are going to process. I also cut off any "silver skin" that is present. Cut your meat into about one-inch cubes, size is NOT that important, but that is about the easiest size for filling the jars. Lay your meat out on a cutting board or similar, and season it. typically I use garlic powder, HY's seasoned salt, maybe a bit of summer savoury, sometimes some pepper, but anyways whatever spice you like on your meat can go on now.

It is called canning, but we actually use Mason jars........

Clean your jars with hot soapy water, then give them a good rinse. The books say they have to be sterilized, that's Bull, the meat you are about to put into the jar sure is not sterile!! but you do want CLEAN.

Put the chunks of meat into the jars, and push them down fairly firmly so as most of the air is out of the jar. You want to fill the jar to within about a half-inch of the top.

NO LIQUID is put in the jar unless you wish to add a small amount of something, for example sherry.

I often add diced onions and sometimes sliced side bacon to the jar, maybe a tablespoon or two in a pint kind of idea.

When all your jars are filled (and you know in advance how many will go into your canner..........) then you get the canner going on your stove with the recommended amount of water, generally about an inch to an inch and a half, but follow your own canner's manual. Put NEW snap lids, one per jar, into the water and let them boil for a few minutes. While that is happening, wipe the rim of every jar mouth so it is completely clean. Even a grain of salt could cause the seal to fail.

If you buy the little magnetic tool to remove the jar lids from the boiling water, it is a very handy item, but tongs will work. Place a lid on a jar, and tighten the screw-top down JUST finger tight, maybe a wee bit less, but not real tight. Once all your jars are ready, put them in the canner.

Follow your canner's instructions to get you up to ten pounds pressure, allowing steam to vent (if your canner has this feature) for about five minutes first. Keep it VERY close to ten pounds pressure, up to twelve or thirteen is OK but the best is to keep it even at 10 or 11 pounds, for ninety minutes.

After ninety minutes at ten/eleven pounds pressure, allow the pressure to drop to ZERO, do NOT pour cold water on it or anything else, just let it go down on its own.

VERY carefully, take the lid off your canner, and remove the jars (for this, you REALLY should buy the canning tool), and place them on a heat-proof surface like a cookie sheet. The jars will still be boiling, for the most part. You will hear the "POP" as each jar seals.

When the cans are cool enough to the touch, bounce a finger off the jar lid. If it doesn't move, you have a good seal. If it goes up and down, you don't.

You COULD re-do the whole thing, with a new snap lid, for any jar that doesn't seal, or you could just put it in the fridge and eat it within about a week.

The jars will have some residue on them. Just wash this off, then tighten the screw lids, and store. I have kept canned meat for upwards of four years, with no issues.

Enjoy...........

Doug

Edited by akaShag

I just edited that post to clarify that what I wrote was for RAW meat, not COOKED meat, this is extremely important. If you tried to can cooked meat in this manner, all of your jars would likely break. And trust me, broken jars in a canner make a terrible mess.....................

Doug

back to m2b2, you should get a chance to eat canned moose next August when I visit you. I just need to remember to bring it.

Chances are very good that I will be bringing my canner with me, so if you had say twenty or so pounds of moose meat (frozen muscle meats like roasts, steaks, etc, but not ground moose) we could do up a canner full when I am there. Then you can enjoy some for as long as the batch lasts. (with your crew that might be a weekend or so.......... :whistling:) Or if the walleye fishing is really good and I stay for a couple days, we could do a canner full of moose per day.

Doug