Where would you go?

Christopheraaron

I'm looking for some opinions on the yearly fishing trip for next year. This year we went to Montana, the year before BC and the year before it was Calgary. We're considering doing Montana again next year but if we can come up with another option we'd like to shake things up a bit too. We can go just about anywhere in North America (although Argentina is in the back of my mind). The target will be trout, any species doesn't matter but cuts, browns and brook trout are my faves. We're also looking for a river destination, not too interested in lake fish. So where is your dream trout destination?

What sets the Sutton apart from any other river in the world is it's nature. For all intents and purposes it's a hyper prolific overgrown limestone stream, easily wadeable and tailor made for the fly fisherman. No, you won't catch the giants you might find in Labrador, but you will catch hundreds of 3-5lb brook trout. The entire length of the river is easily navigable right from Hawley Lake to Hudson's Bay without a single portage. To the best of my knowledge that exists nowhere else in the world. For an angler in southern Ontario it's even more attractive as it's an easy drive to the jump off point in Hearst. No lengthy or expensive flights to Goose Bay or Anchorage.

Yes, I'm a fan. If I could I would fish it every year until my body fails me.

What sets the Sutton apart from any other river in the world is it's nature. For all intents and purposes it's a hyper prolific overgrown limestone stream, easily wadeable and tailor made for the fly fisherman. No, you won't catch the giants you might find in Labrador, but you will catch hundreds of 3-5lb brook trout. The entire length of the river is easily navigable right from Hawley Lake to Hudson's Bay without a single portage. To the best of my knowledge that exists nowhere else in the world. For an angler in southern Ontario it's even more attractive as it's an easy drive to the jump off point in Hearst. No lengthy or expensive flights to Goose Bay or Anchorage.

Ya but those polar bears..............

Like Mike I too have a favorite but will certainly have to enjoy his sometime.

Mine, you can spin or fly fish but you won't likely catch a fish less than 5 pounds, on the Tree.

In all of it's natural magnificence amidst some remarkably remote and harsh tundra, the Tree stands the greatest World Record producing Arctic char fishery on the planet. Thing is, these char are considered an enigma themselves with genetic ties to Dolly Varden greater than with any other char ever studied. This gives them a distinctive appearance but better yet, sizes up to and bettering 35 pounds which seems nearly if not impossible for char so far found anywhere else.

Some other rivers I'd like to fish... Sutton for specks for sure, for more char the George and others in Ungava or, some rivers near Cambridge Bay. The George again for Atlantics. Lower down on the list, the Skeena and systems for rainbows. The Lakitusaki in Polar Bear Provincial Park would be another place, for specks and lakers. But now that the Tree has gotten into me, I'll likely be back there in the coming year or two. Those specks on roids may not get caught in big numbers, but the size and strength is awesome.

its not cheap,but its a trip of a lifetime!im going in the next 8 years

We only had sand flies a couple of times when it warm and humid after a rain, but yes they're way more bothersome than the polar bears.

Just for fun here's a short video showing Bill trying to deal with the little demon seeds :) . If anyone's wondering the temp that evening had to be mid 20's celcius. 

Nice vids, Mike. And good to see some Bitburger made the trip to the Sutton! I hope the bugs didn't get too much of it.

As much as I love big brookies, what I really enjoy are fish that jump. So for a big trip, I'd personally lean to the Pacific coast for rainbows, steelhead and coho, or northern Quebec for Ouananiche and/or sea-run Atlantics. Neither are cheap trips, but life is far too short. You go while you can.

Is Gord still on the go?

My Dad used to tournament cast against him when I was in diapers, I know he has mentioned him. Back then the Toronto Anglers and Hunters held the casting competitions at the CNE., the Sportsman Show did start until the mid 50's.